Brewer Fanatic

The "Parks And Recreation" Thread

BrewCrewForever
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its not so much that this show is so similar to The Office that bothers me, its that Amy Poehler's character is so similar to Michael Scott. Its fine to have a show shot in the same way as The Office, but don't copy characters from the show. That aside, I will keep watching the show for the time being.

its always a red flag to me when they advertise a show as "from the producers of..."

that show with bradley whitford after the west wing was advertised as from the producers of the west wing was not very good either.

i havent watched the second one yet, but the first one was not overly funny. and i work for the parks. then again, i am really not a fan of the office either.

i am giving it about 2 more shows.

Saw the first two episodes, won't be watching it again. Office-lite is a good description. Similar concept, but casting, writing, and acting are far below standards set by The Office. Maybe it will get better or grow on you, but I rather wtahc Seinfeld reruns than this.

I've been an Amy Poehler fan since Upright Citizens Brigade aired on Comedy Central, so I really wanted to like this show, but like others have already said her character is just a watered down Michael Scott. In fact the whole pacing of the show seems a little bit too much like The Office, only without the jokes. I watched the first two episodes and didn't laugh once. I hope for Amy's sake that the show gets better and takes off, but I am done watching for now.

"I just got done with a gig with my band '3 skin', it was '4 skin' but our bassist left for personal reasons." made me laugh pretty hard, especially combined with the name of his band from the week before "Just the Tip"

Tom is the best character by far on the show. Him in the background when the city planner(name escapes me) was apologizing was great.

So are they going to make an entire season out of this pit/park thing? On top of the other faults mentioned above, the plots just suck. No side stories, no variety. I think everything so far would make up about 1 episode of the Office, and there'd be other story arcs explored in the mean time....
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I agree that Tom's clearly the best character in the show so far. Otherwise it's pretty weak. But remember it took The Office a few episodes to find its legs. Once they got away from taking the exact storylines from the UK version it got better.

Tom is the best character for sure. But I also like Ron. His bit about how Tom is everything he looks for in a government official was great. Not as good as The Office, which I didn't expect it to be. But still one of the few shows I will watch on TV on a regular basis.

3 Skin

4 Skin

Just The Tip

Greatest band names ever.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Tom is the best character for sure. But I also like Ron. His bit about how Tom is everything he looks for in a government official was great.
Ron is a pretty solid character. I think the only time I laughed was when he told Tom that he was worse than his ex-wife was at Scrabble, and called her a you-know-what. Then he looked directly into the camera, said her full name, and called her that again.
Gruber Lawffices

"Were you making love to him while on a couch shaped like his mustache?" That was classic

I dont think there is ever a time when a guy running down the street naked on crutches isnt funny.

• 5 months later...

I mentioned this in the Office Season 6 thread, but I think Parks & Rec has really stepped up its game in Season 2 (and is still worthy of its own thread).

"Whiz Palace", "Taliban Robes", "Cave Sex", "Anger Pee", who could ask for anything more?

Here's last night's episode, IMO the best episode to air in NBC's block last night.

I gotta say, last night's episode seemed like a retread from Season 1. The show has been at its best this year when it's plays to the strengths of the ensemble as a whole. I thought this one focused way too much on Leslie and used Fred Armisen's guest-character (and his accent) as a crutch for cheap laughs instead of banking on the subtle humor from the rest of the cast that they rode successfully for the previous 4 episodes. Mark & Ron in particular (and Tom to a degree) were criminally underutilized.

All in all, I'd give it a C-. I'm not giving up though... this show had many more ups than downs this season on the whole and besides, something has to bridge the gap for me between Community and The Office on Thursday nights.

• 2 weeks later...
These last 2 episodes have been more emblematic of Parks & Rec's Season 2 comedic rebirth. More interplay between the supporting characters, and more importantly, more "Ron F%@#% Swanson". Louis CK needs to be in all their episodes. Even though he's just playing the comedic straight man, his character's presence seems to tone down the annoying-ness of everything Amy Poehler.

Ron is definitely my favorite on this show, but one of the promo's bugged me where they changed his line at the party. I thought his line in the promo, "Do you have any Mounds? All I see are Almond Joys, and while sometimes I feel like a nut, tonight, I do not." was hilarious. For the actual episode, they changed the ending to "Almonds give me the squirts." The doctors/nurses all coming to a Halloween party dressed as doctors/nurses was pretty funny.
Gruber Lawffices

my guess is that there was an issue with copyright infringement so they didn't use that line by Ron. Yes, it was funnier than the "squirts" line.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived