Brewer Fanatic

The "Parks And Recreation" Thread

BrewCrewForever
Seeing that many of us on this site are big fans of "The Office" it seems natural to start a thread for a similar style comedy written by some of the same people from "The Office" (Michael Schur and Greg Daniels). I'm really looking forward to the premier April 9th, should be a solid comedy. I like the writers, I like Amy Poehler, Rashida Jones and I really like the little that Aziz Ansari was in "Flight of The Conchords" so I expect good things from this show.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also have a thing for Rashida Jones.

You and me both man! Ever since I first saw her on Boston Public!

I can't remember it word-for-word, but Michael had a great bit about her when she showed up in Scranton -- something like, "Was your dad a G.I.?"

She's the daughter of Quincy Jones, no?

I swear I'm the only guy that doesn't have a thing for her. Something about her face is off to me and her voice kind of annoys me.

Anyway, I also like Aziz Ansari a lot. He was also in a couple episodes of Scrubs this year and was pretty funny so I'm looking forward to him on the show.

Aziz Ansari got his start on Human Giant 24, a sketch commedy show that was pee your pants funny.

The early reviews from test screanings for Parks and Recreation were pretty dismal, but NBC played it off as normal for a show that is still coming togeather. The main complaint was the lack of a strong male lead to set up a relationship dynamic...in other words too many Kevins and not enough Jims. We will see.

Anyway, I also like Aziz Ansari a lot. He was also in a couple episodes of Scrubs this year and was pretty funny so I'm looking forward to him on the show.
As someone who has used the phrase "Steak Ni-i-ite" in conversation with another Scrubs fan, I'm curious to see the new show.

My fear with the show is that it will feature too much Amy Poehler. She can be really funny in small doses (Upright Citizens Brigade on Comedy Central, early SNL), but the more prominent her role, the less I end up liking it (see, mid-late SNL). The show is being pitched as a Poehler vehicle, when I'm hoping it turns out to be more of an ensemble comedy....like The Office.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the pilot episode just aired. I wasn't very impressed. It seems like it's lacking any real comedic direction. Is it supposed to be a satire about local government? Cause if it is, I don't think it's very poignant OR funny.

Perhaps we are just supposed to be laughing at the main character, who is mildly incompetent and thinks her job is more important than it really is. Unfortunately, Amy Poehler's character just seems like a poor-man's Michael Scott -- but not close to as funny. Obviously, I'll need to give it some more episodes to see what they are trying to do, but I just don't see much potential from the first episode.

How do I put this delicately... I think the idea of the dude in charge being fiercely anti-government is so parallel to Milwaukee County in a tragi-comedic sense it's almost not funny. Actually, come to think of it, his character was the highlight for me as long as I don't think beyond the show.

I thought the episode was pretty 'meh', but really, how does that differ from most pilots? I'll give it a few more weeks, too.

I forgot this was on. And I forgot to record it. I'll assume that either NBC.com or Hulu.com will pick it up sooner or later.

I seem to remember that the pilot for "The Office" was kinda slow, too. I laughed a bit for it but it was not even close to what it is now (or in it's "hey day.") I'll try to check out the pilot online and then watch next week to see if it gets any better.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

It was pretty average...I probably won't watch again. ABC's Better off Ted is sort of similar, but was funnier. The main character definitely seems like a "poor man's Michael Scott". Maybe if it flops we'll get Fire Joe Morgan back.

I didn't know they were going to shoot this series in the same manner as The Office, where everyone is being followed around like a documentary (I should have figured that part out from the promo's). It wasn't very good, the only part I laughed at was Ansari's character hitting on Rashida Jones's character when they first met. Right now it seems like someone said, "Hey, how about this? We make Michael Scott a woman, but instead of working in the private sector, she works for the governement! It will be totally fresh!" I'm sure it will get better, but right now it makes me long for the days of "Kath & Kim."
Gruber Lawffices

finally watched it tonight on hulu. It was okay. I laughed a few times but nothing like "The Office."

I will keep watching in hopes that it gets better. Only problem I had with it is that Amy Poehler is just too annoying for my tastes. She's Michael Scott on caffeine. I hope I don't get burned out by her.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

the one last night was funnier than last weeks. the problem is that its too similar to the office.

That pretty much sums it up for me as well. I semi enjoyed this week's episode, and laughed a few times. They really should consider dropping the "sitting down and talking to the camera" bit though, as it really does make it seem like they are just trying to re-create The Office.

at the same time, though, so many of us enjoy "The Office." Now, we have 2 shows of "The Office"--one set in a business office and another set in a government office. We're basically getting a double dose of "The Office" now.

As long as it stays pretty funny, I've got nothing to complain about. Well, except for my aforementioned Amy Poehler dislike.

By the way, Tom (is that his name? Aziz Ansari's character) was absolutely fantastic in this episode.

- - - - - - - - -

I think that is my problem with it too. It's like The Office Lite. It has it's moments but maybe if it was on another night of the week so I was directly able to compare it to The Office and this show isn't as good as The Office.

Archived