Brewer Fanatic

Escobar Willing to Switch Positions

PrinceEatMeat

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090329&content_id=4085758&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

According to that article, Escobar would be willing to switch positions to get to the big leagues. So, if we want to keep both him and Hardy, we have the option to move Escobar to second if Rickie struggles. Here is his direct quote...

Asked about the logjam, Escobar said, "I don't know what's going to happen. I know I have a good friend in J.J. If the team wants me to move to second, to third, to the outfield, wherever, I'll do it."

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aside from maximizing his value and considering his tremendous talent at the SS position, I am shocked to hear him even say that. Even if it wouldn't be the smartest thing for him career-wise/business-wise, its pretty selfless of him. Kudos to Alicdes!

I think Alcides is best utilized at SS as well, but I would have a hard time believing that Melvin would trade Hardy anytime soon. He is just entering his prime, and has said that he wants to be in Milwaukee. If only he came out and said the exact same thing Escobar just did. We should just offer him a nice extension in exchange for switching positions. If he is getting the money anyway, it won't matter what position he's playing.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I think Alcides is best utilized at SS as well, but I would have a hard time believing that Melvin would trade Hardy anytime soon.
The problem with this statement is that it goes against what has been said already about Escobar's statement and maximizing value. Escobar is going to be the starting SS for this team by 2010, unless he dies sometime between now and opening day 2010. The only thing that will stop that is a complete offensive flop this year in AAA by Escobar.

And the reason for this, and a Hardy trade, will be that it maximizes value for the team. Hardy is at his peak right now (i.e. it is very unlikely that he will get better) so trading him after Escobar gets some seasoning in AAA returns major value for the team. Whether it is a MLB ready #2 starting pitcher or pieces to add pitching depth at the higher levels of the organization, it really doesnt matter. Long term, Hardy moving is the best thing for the organization.

This Brewer team doesnt need more offense, it needs defense, pitching and OBP guys. Hardy is expendable when looked at in that light. Escobar adds much improved and much needed defense at the most important defensive position in the infield, and a Hardy trade brings pitching. And I didnt even touch on the financial issue of moving Hardy making the team better.

There isn't that large of a gap in plays between second and SS that we should treat Escobar at second as some kind of travesty. As a point of reference the record for chances in a season is actually higher at second than at SS! If Hardy is that against it and this preserves a good attitude I think that's defensible. This is far less ridiculous then Captain Clutch whose defense was awful refusing to give up his position for the vastly superior offensive and defensive player. We have above average vs. gold glover. instead of gold glover vs. iron skillet.

Leave him a SS. JJ isn't going to be around much longer and Escobar will get his chance. If Escobar does well in AAA this year I think that we can start talking about bringing him up to play 2B next year. We have guys ready to play 2B by 2011 and we could slide him back over to SS after JJ leaves. Of course if Weeks plays well this year then either we trade Hardy or Escobar repeats AAA. It doesn't hurt us to have a guy in AAA that can replace JJ or Weeks if they get injured.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

JJ needs to man up and recognize what's best for the team. Escobar at SS and him at 2nd would be an amazing middle infield.
Does anybody else see that by moving to 2b JJ knows he would be taking away a real close friend's job?

Could very well be the reason he has not volunteered to do it.

Agreed, Escobar could use another season in AAA to become better offensively, tho.

Why (other than Mat Gamel, who isn't entrenched as the future 3B by any means) is Hardy to 2B the only option? Hardy's strong arm along with his bat would make a switch to 3B more sensible IMO.
Being new to the board I am not aware if that subject was broached during the off season. There was a time when it may not have been certain that Bill Hall would be the regular third sacker this season and on other boards I frequent it was brought up about moving JJ to third. But, like I stated in my previous, it is probably best to keep Escobar in Nashville for another season and then we'll see what happens next off season

JJ needs to man up and recognize what's best for the team. Escobar at SS and him at 2nd would be an amazing middle infield.

Absolutely. As much as I like J.J., he needs to move over. He's good enough offensively to man third and needs to do what's best for the organization. We need to deal one of them because Escobar away from short deminishes his value a ton. NO ONE should be in favor of Escobar vacating SS under any circumstance.

JJ Hardy is a well above average SS, I wouldn't want to move i were him either. It is still a business and JJ hitting the FA market as a SS is going to be worth a huge contract as one of the top SS in baseball.

These things do work themselves out, like Invader said and that means Escobar goes to Nashville this year and a year from now he will more than likely be the starting SS. My guess would be JJ will be moved for some pitching or othere organizational needs. He could bring some quality players in return.

This may be kind of a stretch, but does anyone expect anything from Brent Brewer? It would seem to me that, barring a move to an already crowded outfield, this guy figures in this discussion. Brewer held his own in an abbreviated stint in the Arizona Fall League and didn't look too bad (small sample against AAA guys alert) in his brief appearance in the big league camp. He has the kind of athletic giftings to be a Hanley Ramirez-lite.

Why (other than Mat Gamel, who isn't entrenched as the future 3B by any means) is Hardy to 2B the only option? Hardy's strong arm along with his bat would make a switch to 3B more sensible IMO.

I've been saying that for quite some time as well. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like JJ is that open to it. He's hitting his peak in value, but I love his attitude and he is a team leader (see: Prince Fielder vs. Manny Parra). So I'm torn between maximum trade value and internal value to the team.

I don't think it is all that difficult to envision trading Escobar. There are plenty of teams out there that are looking to dump salary and/or are lower payroll teams than the Brewers, and if they have some talent approaching arbitration/free agency that fits the Brewers needs I could easily see them dealing Escobar. Go back to last year - would you have dealt Escobar for Sabathia (or as part of the package)? I would in a hearbeat, and I'd swap Brantley for Escobar in that deal.

Escobar obviously feels he's done everything he needs to do to play in the Big Leagues and is hungry for a shot in The Show. I like the ambition, but another year of seasoning in Nashville wouldn't hurt. Nashville is sure in for a treat this year with a good team brewing down there. They deserve it after last year's embarassment.

I would let Hardy walk and hope we get the good draft pick personally. Our money needs to go towards Parra/Gallardo if they are healthy and filling any holes we can't fill from within. I just think Hardy is going to produce his way out of our plans. If he hits 30 HRs one of the next 2 years or sees another uptick in his OBP I just don't see how we can afford him.

I hate the term Gold Glover because many players who win the award are not the best or in some cases even good defenders.

I have no doubt that Escobar has the tools to be an elite SS, but would he be an elite SS if he played in the majors this year or next? There is evidence that he might be less than elite right now. Link

Alcides Escobar, a shortstop who is the Brewers' top prospect, was +22 runs last season. Scouts rave about his defense. He was about average in 2007 and rated poorly in 2006. This could be a case of a player with great tools who just recently developed consistency.
Besides that there is the error total in spring training this year. I know, I ignored that as well because "spring training" and "errors" are things I generally ignore when looking at stats. Then there is the quote by Macha.

"I still know that he's young," Macha said. "He's going to improve and gain a little confidence at the plate. His raw skills are off the charts. Tremendous 'gun,' great range, good speed. Every once in a while he'll throw a ball he should eat, but that's just youth. ... He just needs as much experience as he can get right now."
I think all signs point to Escobar having the tools to be elite, but I have questions as to whether he would be elite right now.

I agree that our money needs to go to the pitching side of things. I think we have reasonable replacements for every position player leaving in the next 3 years. I think we end up trading Fielder for pitching because we don't have enough ready anytime soon. Of course we can keep spending money on 1-2 years contracts for Looper type deals, but it would be nice to get a couple young guys.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I hate the term Gold Glover because many players who win the award are not the best or in some cases even good defenders.
I just meant he has the skills to be considered what you would imagine as gold glove caliber. I know a lot of times players that are good offensively and solid defensively get the gold glove over someone that was better but only defensively. Was really referring to the idea of him being considered that caliber more than literally referring to him as someone that gets it and doesn't deserve it. I mean, when was the last time the Brewers had a player that was deemed worthy of gold glove consideration?

Archived