Brewer Fanatic

Gregg will close for Cubs

BuckyBrewer61

Cubs name Gregg as Team's Closer

Kevin Gregg beat out Carlos Marmol for the closer position. The article cites Piniella saying that Gregg has had a better spring. Judging from past discussions on this topic, I think there are a few people around here will agree with me that I'd much rather see Marmol as the closer as Piniella then does not have the flexibility to use him in big spots earlier than the 9th inning.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Couldn't agree with you more. I know it has only been in ST, but I have seen several cubs games this spring and Marmol has not looked very good. Unfortunately, I think the cubs made the correct choice for their poopbag of a team. Gregg is a solid closer

Yeah I just got screwed by taking Marmol in fantasy. I guess he'll have to ride the bench for me. The back-end of the Cubs bullpen scares me a lot more than it did last year. But don't worry, I'm sure Looper, Bush, and Suppan won't give up any leads in that opening series. Lol.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Marmol will be closing soon enough. Probably by the end of May.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

First I'll say Marmol is overrated, his peripherals do not support what he has done at all. This is a mid 3 ERA skillset he has, not a sub 3 ERA one. The 4+ BB/9 and 55% FB will catch up with him eventually. In 07 he was saved by an insane 91% LOB and 08 that normalized but he was blessed with a .185 BABIP, this is a pitcher looking at a major regression.

I think Gregg keeps the job until he gets hurt personally, his bad streak last year was because of knee problems and he was abused a good bit the past few years so it won't surprise me to see him hit the DL again at some point.

Archived