Brad Wilkerson

Brewers get:

Brad Wilkerson

John Mayberry

Rangers get:

Tony Gwynn Jr

Gabe Gross

Zach Jackson

The centerpiece of the deal for the Brewers is Brad Wilkerson, who can play any position in the outfield and can pinch hit vs. LHP and RHP about equally as well. Wilkerson's a FA after the year, so Texas obviously has incentive to move him.

Gabe Gross provides hitting vs. RHP, and is young enough where the Rangers get a decent player for a few years.

Tony Gwynn Jr gets some starts this year in place of Kenny Lofton, who is obviously on his last leg, and can be their man in CF beyond '07.

Zach Jackson is the throw-in, since Texas needs pitching.

John Mayberry is one of Texas's lesser prospects, but might be a good bench bat for the future for the Brewers... He's included to even out the deal for the Crew.

Thoughts?

I don't really like it. Wilkerson hasn't really hit since 2004 and he's injury prone.

He does hit lefties pretty well, but I would think a guy like him could be had for less. He's making what? $6 million or so? I would think he could be had for a non-prospect if the Brewers were willing to pick up his salary. Texas is circling the drain and may look to dump salary.

Not that I think Gross, Gwynn and Jackson are anything special, I just don't like dealing 3 guys with likely ML futures (even if they are probably backups) for a pinch-hitter.

edit: that said, I would do Mench & Jackson for Wilkerson. Brad could be the short-side of a Jenkins platoon (despite being a lefty), and he could give Bill a day off now and then, which Mench can't do. I don't know if they would want Mench back in Texas though.

Wilkerson makes sense, I was just compiling a list of LHRP and LH OF's myself. That said, he won't take all that to get him, I'd say TEX may be happy to dump him for Gross and an A baller with a bit of velocity.

Considering Gross is a decent platoon/reserve option, he might be plenty by himself.

I've always been a huge Wilkerson fan, but I'm not quite sure what the point of getting him is. You're giving up a guy in Gross who is a really similar player to Wilkerson (LH patience/power guy who can play some CF), without all the nagging injuries. And like Joe said, Wilkerson hasn't hit for a long time. If you got that 30 HR/100 BB guy that he once was, that'd be another issue, but he also just turned 30.

This is the guy they should get: www.hardballtimes.com/tht...Name=gomes

But he's blown up in the past week or two, and the Dukes situation is coming to a head.

I liked the idea of getting someone good who's going to be a FA (available), and the idea of getting someone for the low minors in exchange for spare parts.

Jackson = no value to the club.

Gwynn = completely blocked.

Gross = not necessary with Wilkerson on the bench

I hesitated to throw Gross in, but I did so to go and reach down for a low-level outfield prospect... That's going to be a need for the club, I think, moreso than any other spot on the diamond. If I'm overpaying for Wilkerson, I'm open to alternatives.

I just have always had a man-crush on Wilkerson, so I had my anti-Brewer goggles on. I don't forsee the injury issue being a risk for such a short term solution.

Wilkerson's just a rental... I know that must feel strange http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I don't like it at all, sorry Brian.

Wilkerson hasn't been solid for quite a while. I actually think a trade of Gross for him would be a coup for Texas, given contract situations.

Adding Gwynn and Jackson for a marginal minor leaguer doesn't make sense either. They have much more value.

Now, I'd trade that package for Gagne. Texas may go for that.

Zach Jackson still has value to the Brewers and so does Gwynn. They may never be stars or may be dealt, but reserves and trade bait both have plenty of value.

I finished my list, and I'd say Lofton is a better target than Wilkerson.

I wouldn't deal Gross for Wilkerson. Gross will likely fill the 4th OF spot for a few more years, and I could argue Gross is the better player now.

Gwynn has real value. Theres teams out there starting Nook Logan, Chris Duffy, Coco Crisp, Juan Pierre, and Alfredo Amezaga in CF. They'd all prefer Gwynn.

Even if Wilkerson returns to his form from 3 years ago, he makes little impact as a reserve. This team needs another top reliever, and has no closer for next year. Save the trade chips for that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

You had a better idea in Wigginton (as he can spell RWeeks' wrist and possibly hit lefties while playing LF...speculation there) and maybe Al Reyes..

I think that GM DM thinks too highly of TGJ to let him just walk for a rental but you are correct in adding a prospect with some name value to have after Brad has walked...

Wiggy over Wilky

I like Wilkerson because of his ability to play first and the outfield. but , he's been banged up all year. I'm not sure which Wilkerson the brewers would be getting. he does have 6 homers which would put him pace for 15 if he had over 500 atbats.

I like the idea he would be a free agent at the end of the year. based on his 3 year production, would he be a class A free agent? or a Class B? or one not deserving of compensation? I'd love to rent the guy for a couple of months if we could wind up getting a supplemental pick for him after the year.

Good proposal/idea and discussion, Brian.

I get lost on the idea of trading both Gwynn & Gross. Gwynn, especially if he can cut down on the Ks a little (in other words, keep showing improvement like he's been making the past 2 seasons), is at worst a 4th OF. If he's a starter, he may never be a stud. But unlike other CF prospects we've seen the last 5 years or so (Sanchez, Krynzel come to mind), Tony Gwynn understands he doesn't have lots of home run power and tries better than those other clowns to best utilize his skill set. He has good speed, an improving bat, and was ML-ready defensively 2 years ago, he's still reasonably young, not to mention his potent bloodlines. Anyway, I'm a fan of keeping Gwynn around for a while.

If you trade Gross and Gwynn, want to lose Mench, don't expect to pick up Jenkins' option, and plan to let Wilkerson walk as a FA, then all you have left in the Brewers' OF are Hall & Hart with maybe Drew Anderson the next guy in line. That's not only a thin set of starters, but also leaves the team with no depth whatsoever.

I'm not convinced Jackson will be a solid major-leaguer. But Texas will usually take anyone with a pulse and their pitching arm still attached. If this deal might have any legs, I'd rather try this:

Texas gets:

Mench & Jackson

Brewers get:

Wilkerson & low-level prospect

If anyone could be conned into overvaluing Mench, it'd be the Rangers, who (other than Schowalter) loved him and who also would still remember well plenty of Mench's success the first few years of his career. And with Nelson Cruz not panning out so far this year, they may just be open to bringing in another proven ML bat to DH or play a corner OF spot.

Archived