Brewer Fanatic

Flame Wars. What are they good for?

EdgarDiazRocks

There's only one right idea. And that's "the truth".
But only if my make believe friends agree. Right, JJam75?

You can't bait me Edgar. Not anymore.
What if I start calling you "The KatBot 7500?" Apparently that's an insult that knows no bounds.

It all really stems from the fact that people feel that they have the right to behave differently online than in real life. In real life, these discussions would just be disagreements, and they'd run their course. On forums, you have the ability to communicate at a much slower pace and you're not limited in the time in which to find the perfect insult. In a real life argument, there's no transcript, and there's not as much of an urge to get the "last word" in. On a forum, everyone can see who posted the last thing, and I think there's a tendency to try to "save face", so flame wars generally get drawn out.

I used to get drawn into flame wars all the time, because I used to look around the internet and see what things people were saying about Brewerfan. On occasion, I'd find someone who I felt was lying or exaggerating about something, and I felt that I had to defend the site. Fortunately (or unfortunately), my time's been spent dealing with more "real" problems than what AwesomeBaseballDude8356 says about my website.

Really what's the point of it.

I dunno. What's the point of telling fat people they have a pretty face? We do a lot of pointless things, meanwhile Kevin Costner is continuing to make movies, AND covering classic rock standards.

People have different ideas, why is that a bad thing?

Well because people are different... Some people are bad, some people are good, some people are smart some people are stupid... Stupid people have stupid ideas, old people have old ideas, short people have short ideas, Cub fans pee in a trough.

You can't bait me Edgar. Not anymore.

Neil Gaiman quit trying in 1990.

What if I start calling you "The KatBot 7500?" Apparently that's an insult that knows no bounds.

I don't understand this at all, apparently some sort of nerd reference.

A lot of fancy strippers put "K's" where "C's" should be, because apparently "K's" make people stop and take notice -- like Candy becomes, Kandy, or Corrine becomes Korrine... I assumed that is what "Kat" did.

In a real life argument, there's no transcript, and there's not as much of an urge to get the "last word" in.

I'd love for you to meet my in-laws, and argue this point.

I used to get drawn into flame wars all the time, because I used to look around the internet and see what things people were saying about Brewerfan.

That one guy said BF.net was like Arby's. When you said BF.net was not like Arby's, you may have well grown a ponytail.

Really what's the point of it. People have different ideas, why is that a bad thing?

Discuss.

Because I'm right and you're wrong.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I hate brewerfan.net and all it's supporters.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

OBP is fer gurlz!

I think I'd rather have an aerosol can and one of those grill starter/lighters with the long handles. I think I could win some flame wars with that combo. Unless somebody else had a legit flamethrower, that is.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

There is some use for a "flame war" if done only as a battle of wits, with both sides agreeing beforehand that it's just that. I've read some pretty hilarious flamewars on tuckermax.com's messageboard where two friends decide it would be fun to spar. I occasionally do this with people I know from XBox Live on messageboards just because we enjoy it.

In a true "flame war" between people who aren't intelligent and funny, it's pointless and stupid. It can also be pretty funny with one intelligent person vs. a dumb person.

On a related note, does anyone ever read Yahoo answers? That site seals the deal that our country has no more than 10 years left as a world superpower. Just a bunch of snippy little nerf brains who have to give an answer at all costs and speak as experts when they have zero idea what's going on.

Let's start a flame war with them.

Archived