Brewer Fanatic

Brady Clark Rumors (Colorado, NY Mets, San Diego)

Per Rotoworld:

"The San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that the Padres will likely sign Brady Clark if the Dodgers are unable to trade him before he becomes a free agent.

Clark was designated for assignment by the Dodgers last week. The Mets and Rockies reportedly also have interest in Clark, but the former University of San Diego star might jump at the opportunity to return to his former hometown."

Clark wouldn't be more than a 4th or 5th outfielder in Colorado. He isn't going to start over Hawpe or Holliday. Taveras is even outproducing him this year, without mentioning the size of that outfield and Brady's lack of range. Brady is not a CF, he plays on the warning track because he can't go back on a ball has to let a lot of hits land in front of him. Spilborghs is probably a 4th outfielder option for Colorado, leaving Brady the 5th option.

San Diego might make some sense, but SD already has 4 better outfielders, and Branyan can play the corners too. Unless I missed some Padre getting hurt, Brady won't get much PT there either.

He seems to clearly be on the downside, I don't see him hanging around much past this season.

Well, he was given his ouright release yesterday.

rotowrold has the same 3 teams being interested. ML deal or AAA deal, I wonder? He'll probably hold out for an ML deal, because once a guy like him slides back into the minors, he probably will never resurface.

Someone will probably give him an ML deal because he hit .306 in 2005, but I just question whether there may be better uses for a roster spot at this point. I think he makes the most sense for a team as Michael Tucker/Ricky Ledee-type insurance (the Mets have stashed those guys in AAA the last couple years until they had an injury or two, then called them up).

What I'm saying, I guess, is that I think he works better as a short term stop-gap starter (similar to Lee Nailon in the NBA) than a long-term pinch hitter/defensive replacement/bench player.

I think he works best in the "Roger Dorn-Take one for the team"-role he played sporatically for us. Unfortunately, he taught his craft to Rickie and he is unneeded (but "unfortunately" because Rickie is the last person on the team, given his history, to take the HBP that he mastered in the minors).

Archived