Brewer Fanatic

Autograph Etiquette

jjkoestler
Is there etiquette involved in asking players for their autograph? Specifically, is it taboo to ask for a sweet spot autograph? I've never asked for autographs in the past, but I bought a T-Rats mini plan and would like to get some autos. Thanks in advance.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I honestly don't know the answer to that question, but if I was into autographs I wouldn't hesitate to ask it. I personally disagree with the fuss that some players put up when asked to sign. I am reminded of my friend who a few years back got a bat autographed by Molitor. He asked for the HOF inscription and he apparently became angered while agreeing to do so. I know that greatly increases the value of the inscription, but I wouldn't think that players would be overly concerned about it.

Anyways, that is my opinion. I don't get into the whole autograph thing, though, so someone who is more seasoned at it may have better input.

Its not a problem asking for reasonable inscriptions to most players. You need to use proper human etiquette (pleases and thank you's). You also should do reasearch on what player do inscriptions.

Don't ask Yount for an inscription unless its at an organized function, because he doesn't like to do it. If you ask for it he'll point you out as greedy and will cut the signing short. HOF'er Bob Gibson (not the former Brewer), if you ask to sweet spot or add his HOF inscription will turn the ball and sign on the side panel. If your lucky to get him, just hand him the ball and he'll sign on the sweetspot and put the HOF inscription on.

We were able to get Lawrie at spring training, didn't get an inscription though. He did sign on the sweetspot without being asked. We chatted with him for a few minutes and he seemed to be really excited about spending the year in Appleton. Overall he was very pleasant and friendly.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

I also got Lacroy, he was really nice, and asked me if I wanted him to sign on the sweet spot. As far as an inscription for Lawrie how about "ROY..." Just kidding

Another big mistake, know the players name, im assuming you mean Lucroy.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif It is fine to ask for any reasonable inscription or placement but just ask once, if they say no they say no.

Most guys will sweetspot it and put the inscription if you ask politely...although if you get autographs at Miller Park near the oposing dugout, I don't think a lot of sweetspotting goes on there, and probably because of time factor...they just grab a ball and a pen and sign trying to get a 6-7 signed before they run into the clubhouse. That's just what I gather since I rarely see people get the sweetspot.

The only inscription I usually ask for is a players number, most guys are pretty good about that, most of the Brewers add it without asking.

I did get Bill Hall to add "clutch!" on the score card for mother's day, and Manny Parra to put MLB Debut on the scorecard of his first game.

Last year I got a ball signed by Gange for Bikeage77 and without me asking he signed the sweet spot I did ask he would put his CY inscription under it. I was really nice and did thank him and welcome him to Milwaukee.

I also got Branyan at a free signing at the MLB store at Brookfield square mall. I asked for him to sign Russell The Muscle under is name and he did so. I also said thank you and please those always help.

Last year at On Deck, Gagne signed my ball sweet spot too without me asking. Unfortunately, I didn't want him to - I had just gotten it signed by Ryan Braun and JJ Hardy in the parking lot on their way in!! I was partially distracted because I was having Sheets sign my team ball from 2007 (which he did in an obscure place instead of in the obvious space I left just for him) to complete that one. Then, he kept my pen at first, so I was asking him for it back, and I set my ball down on Gagne's table, and in all the confusion I didn't hand it to him properly so that he could see the other signatures and sign anywhere but the sweet spot.

Just for the record, for my 2008 team ball, I stuck with the ball I had gotten signed by Hardy, Braun, and Gagne. I wasn't able to wuite finish it though - the key contributors I still need from last year are Weeks, Kendall, and Counsell. Gagne on the sweet spot does kind of suck, though. Good thing he didn't have a horrible year or anything to make it that much worse.

Sorry if my post is coming off as a big long rant - basically, some players, especially lesser names, will either sweet spot a blank ball automatically or ask if you want it sweet spotted. Prince sweet spots balls automatically- he has for both em and my brother. Another thing to take away from this post is to not have too many things you're trying to get signed at once, at least not if you're as unaware to what's going on as I am.

Archived