Brewer Fanatic

Griffey Jr ok's any trades to Chicago Cubs...

Oh man...that would be a scary line-up. Soriano, Griffy, Lee, A Ram, and others...

I don't think I'd like that, but on the other hand, it'll be fun to watch the cubs fail yet again with a stellar line-up.

I'd rather the Crew pick up Griffey, but I honestly don't see it happening. Maybe Griffey see's the crew as a dominant NL team now and would ok a trade to the Crew.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/pimp.gif

Brewers would have to give up Inman & Vargas or CV to get Griffey. Reds need to get some arms, Hamilton, Freel, and Dunn cover the OF for them. Griffey gets traded after Dunn then they would be looking for a young OFer, but Gwynn isn't going to do it as he duplicates Freel as an CFer.

Can you think of anything worse for the Cubs?

I love Griffey as a player but he clearly only has a year or two left. The Cubs are not going to win this year. They need to project the team out 2-4 years and try to build some from within. They are just simply not good enough to spend all their money on a few 'final' peices.

[ I love Griffey as a player but he clearly only has a year or two left. ]

He's only got a couple of years left on his contract, so it works out OK for the Cubs. He's an enormous upgrade over Jacque Jones, so I would be somewhat concerned of they landed him.

Of course, it depends on what they give up for him...

I have always had a soft spot for the Cubs and consider myself a closet fan, now that the Brewers are in position, my affection for them has wained and I actually love to see them spiral out of control. So, I now consider my three favorite teams as:

1. The Brewers

2. The Imploding Cubs

3. The Cubs

I am not sure if this trade will help The Cubs or The Imploding Cubs more. Should be interesting to see.

One other thing to consider, a 10 game lead at the All Star Break would make a lot of division foes sellers at the break, these next several series are huge.

Can you think of anything worse for the Cubs?

He is an upgrade for this team and even if they don't make a run this year, they would have him for next year. He would add a little more pop to the middle of their lineup.

I think the Barrett trade was two fold... on one hand, and I think this is the main reason, is that you get Zambrano happy. Second, it saves money for the trade deadline.

If Griffey goes to the Cubs, they will have a much better chance at catching the Crew...even with a ten game lead.

I don't like this one bit...then again, Griffey will probably get hurt before the break.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/pimp.gif

If Griffey doesn't end up in Dodger Blue by the the end of the season, someone will have dropped the ball.

I would love for him to be a Brewer but it is not going to happen. I would think Griffey is worth Kevin Mench and Tim Dillard. If Cincy eats some salary I would think more along the lines of Manny Parra.

Back to the dodgers though. Great staff, Good on base guys, no power in the middle of the lineup.

If he went to the Cubs I would Cry.

I hear that Griffey's defense is just atrocious at this point, which offsets a lot (or maybe all) of his offensive upgrade over Jenkins.

I don't like him on the Brewers at this point. He should be back in the AL. If the Brewers decide to move Jenkins for another outfielder, it should be for an OBP monster. Otherwise, I think any upgrade would be slim or non-existent.

That said, if Griffey stays in the NL, Chicago would be a pretty good fit for him. He adds left-handed thump to the Cubs 3 right-handed sluggers and Wrigley is a small yard, so his defense would be less egregious.

Imagine the price of their DL in September... While Wood and Prior were cost-efficient adds to the DL, DLee's imminent return to the DL, compounded by complications to ARam's recent strains, and Zambrano is liable to contract ulcers with his meltdowns... I'm just saying KFC Jr. is not worth worrying about if the Cubbies add him. The gent is aided at present by The Great American Launching Pad. And just imagine the guy running headfirst into the Ivy... As the Onion opined some 2 weeks ago, All of America Wishes It Were Jr. Griffey... It's debateable who ruined a greater HOF career, A-Rod or Jr. Griffey... One knew no limits, one's wallet knew no limits, though I probably wouldn't say the same thing if he donned the Sox's stripes as opposed to the pins of NY.

If the source to this rumor is from the Chicago Sun Times, I really have to question the context they got it from - also, I would really doubt that the Cubs would be able to give Cincinnati a package of players they would want in order to complete the trade. I would think any deal involving Griffey to the Cubs would have to include Carlos Marmol + others, and the Cubs would be foolish to deal him.

Then again, they are the Cubs.

Realistically, teams like the Dodgers, Angels, and Dbacks would be able to offer better prospects to Cincinnati in a trade - since they're all outside of the division, I would think Cincy would rather deal him there.

-----------------------

Griffey is going to want his option to be picked up if moved. Thats $17 million for 2009. I'd love the Cubs to get him! Thats also why it won't happen. I really see no way the Cubs add that much salary while for sale.

Archived