Brewer Fanatic

TGJ to Rays?

Gwynn looks untradeable to me. He's 26 years old, has shown very little at AAA, nothing really in the majors. Beyond the injured two the Rays have had 8-10 outfielders in their camp this Spring. I guess they'd chose among them first. None can be any worse than Gwynn.

Gwynn will easily clear waivers to AAA. The Brewers know what everyone else in the majors do, he'd be lucky to have the career of Chris Gwynn at this point.
I agree. And if someone does want him, they may as well put him to some use. There's no room for him in Milwaukee, period.

Still makes me chuckle that some people seem sure that San Diego would love to trade for him, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/42331882.html

Tom H. seems to think that something is up with TGJ. I don't care if we traded him for nothing or if he's cleared waivers to AAA, I just want him as far away from Milwaukee as possible this year.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Looks like Gwynn hasn't made the club and is on waivers now...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/42338667.html

Gwynn news tomorrow

By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel

Apr. 2, 2009 2:01 p.m.

Phoenix - We just talked to Doug Melvin and he said there would be an announcement on outfielder Tony Gwynn's status tomorrowl

So, as I surmised in an earlier blog, it appears Gwynn has been placed on waivers and probably will clear tomorrow if not claimed by another club. The other alternative would be a trade to another club, but you wouldn't think Melvin would say there would be news tomorrow if it were a trade.

Gwynn is out of minor-league options and would have to clear waivers to go to Class AAA Nashville. If he clears, he would have to accept the outright assignment.

So, Brad Nelson and Chris Duffy have claimed the two reserve outfield spots. And they've done so by performing well throughout spring training, though Melvin said you can be fooled at times by stats in camp.

"You can't just evaluate on spring training stats," said Melvin. "Spring training stats can be overrated.

"We know what Tony can do. It's probably harder for (new manager) Ken (Macha) and his staff because they haven't seen him before.

"Tony's a good player. But he kind of fits what Duffy does."

I would be surprised if anyone picked him up.

What's the rule on that anyway?

Does the team that picks up a player this way, have to put him on the big club, or can they send him down to AAA?

Gwynn will easily clear waivers to AAA. The Brewers know what everyone else in the majors do, he'd be lucky to have the career of Chris Gwynn at this point.
That is a slap in the face to Chris Gwynn. Chris was below average OFer but a top notch pinch hitter. Tony JR has a long ways to go before he can considered himself in Chris's stature.

Chris was below average OFer but a top notch pinch hitter.

As far as I see, that was true in 1994, when he went 11/33 with 2 HR and 6 RBI, and 93 when he went 6 for 16 with 3 RBI. Did those two seasons create that impression for you, or was it more widely thought that he was a top notch PH? In his career, Chris Gwynn was a .230 PH.

Archived