Brewer Fanatic

Macha to pair Bush with Rivera

logan82

Apparently he ordered a statistical analysis and Bush came out as the best pairing. He goes on to say that the pairing probably came down to either Bush or Looper so I doubt the analysis had much to do with the choice. Link

The choice was likely down to Bush or newcomer Braden Looper. Macha said he preferred to keep Kendall paired with youngsters Yovani Gallardo and Manny Parra, and veteran Jeff Suppan has quietly made it clear he likes pitching to Kendall.

How long until we get a Macha catch all thread?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

here's to hoping that Rivera is our opening day catcher then. I really think Bush deserves to start the first game and Suppan should be starting the home opener.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Is this really the only way to ensure Rivera gets more playing time? I don't know what info any statistical analysis would provide that's actually reliable here.

Thankfully Adam McCalvy has his head on straight:

Macha ordered a statistical analysis of Rivera's work with the returning Brewers starters, and Bush had the best numbers in an admittedly small, 21-inning sample. The outings included Bush's 13-strikeout game against the Rockies on July 10.

If this 'statistical analysis' broke down how Kendall & Rivera handle receiving Looper's & Bush's pitches, I guess I could let it go. But seriously, all Soup had to do to get out of consideration was to supply the 'I like pitching to Kendall' line, and YoGa/Parra just pitch to the grittier veteran by default for some unknown reason... not much objective statistical analysis there

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would've expected Manny because they're buddies, but I think this is good to see Rivera get his shot. Bush seems to be such a focused type with his own game plan that it doesn't matter who it is. Interesting that Soup is calling his shots.
Formerly Andersoc420

here's to hoping that Rivera is our opening day catcher then. I really think Bush deserves to start the first game and Suppan should be starting the home opener.

Bush has been so much better at home(3.75 career ERA at miller park) than on the road for us that I'd be fine with him starting the home opener.

Doesn't make any sense to me to have one pitcher get stuck with the backup all the time. If I was Bush I'd be a little upset. Soup gets to decide who he gets. The young guys need the good catcher and Bush is left with continually playing with the worst of the battery mates. I understand why they want Kendall to get more rest but I fail to understand why Macha can't figure out how to get the balance he wants without putting all the shortcomings of the backup on one pitcher. This isn't meant to be a knock on Rivera but he is the backup who didn't get a major league job until his 30's and Kendall is by all accounts a very good catcher.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Someone named Backupcatchers complaining about Bush being stuck with Rivera, I've seen it all now!

I think the entire 'he calls a good game' thing is overblown so it is hard for me to be upset about it. Bush gets a better hitter and a worse defender when he pitches, probably mostly evens out.

Doesn't make any sense to me to have one pitcher get stuck with the backup all the time. If I was Bush I'd be a little upset. Soup gets to decide who he gets. The young guys need the good catcher and Bush is left with continually playing with the worst of the battery mates. I understand why they want Kendall to get more rest but I fail to understand why Macha can't figure out how to get the balance he wants without putting all the shortcomings of the backup on one pitcher. This isn't meant to be a knock on Rivera but he is the backup who didn't get a major league job until his 30's and Kendall is by all accounts a very good catcher.
Some factual errors in your post. Rivera was on Detroit's opening day roster in 2002 at age 25. He was also basically the Brewers starting catcher the last 6 weeks of the 2006 season because at the time, Damien Miller was hurting. He's also had some big offensive years in the minors.

Rivera is a more than capable backup. The Brewer record in games Rivera has started:

2006: 18-21 .461 Season record: 75-87 .462

2007 1-0 1,000

2008 8-7 .533 Season record: 90-72 .556 It must be noted, that Rivera did not start any games started by Sabathia and just one started by Sheets. So he posted a winning record in his starts with the 2nd line starters.

There's no statistically significant dropoff in the Brewer record in games started by Rivera.

veteran Jeff Suppan has quietly made it clear he likes pitching to Kendall.

Veteran Jeff Suppan should be more concerned about who is running down the line drives in the gap.

Doesn't make any sense to me to have one pitcher get stuck with the backup all the time.

I agree. I'd rather see catchers started based on who is pitching on the other team, rather than who is pitching on our team.

Yo and Parra have made enough starts that it really shouldn't matter to them who catches.

This always seems like one of those things that works for a while, and then is quietly abandoned due to whatever circumstances about halfway through the season. I remember Chad Moeller was Ben Sheets' personal catcher a few years back, and they had to quit that because Moeller's bat was so awful.

Still, I have no problem with them at least trying this. Bush has enough experience and poise that it shouldn't make that big a difference who he's throwing too.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

This always seems like one of those things that works for a while, and then is quietly abandoned due to whatever circumstances about halfway through the season.

I agree, and I don't think it will even make it halfway. I give it until May. Someone is gonna miss a start or Rivera is gonna open up the season mashing or Bush will get rocked two starts in a row, etc. Something will come up and this will be forgotten.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Some factual errors in your post. Rivera was on Detroit's opening day roster in 2002 at age 25. He was also basically the Brewers starting catcher the last 6 weeks of the 2006 season because at the time, Damien Miller was hurting. He's also had some big offensive years in the minors.

It was a poor way to say what I meant. I should have said he didn't get a regular job as a catcher in the majors until his 30's. He may have had a cup of coffee a few times for injured players but he never started out the season on a major league roster and stick around for the year. Nor did he ever stick with a major league roster for more than a month or so when he did get the call. Of course I believe you are technically correct in that his first extended duty came in 06 when he was 29 for about two weeks then turned 30 while on the roster.

Someone named Backupcatchers complaining about Bush being stuck with Rivera, I've seen it all now!

After seeing the quality of my posts, or lack thereof, my case should be made.

I think the entire 'he calls a good game' thing is overblown so it is hard for me to be upset about it. Bush gets a better hitter and a worse defender when he pitches, probably mostly evens out.

Lots of GM's and other assorted baseball people must have been pretty stupid for quite some time if they are roughly equal in talent.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think it would be easier for a backup catcher to develop a rapport with one pitcher that he sees every 5 days, rather than one he catches once a month. There will probably be a few extra games for Mike as well (some of the day games after night ones, etc.) Unless something turns into a complete disaster, I expect this to continue for much of the season.

I like it that Rivera will get some consistent at bats and Kendell some consistent rest.
Perfect statement. Rivera deserves to get more PT, not saying he is great or a starting caliber catcher but did enough last year to garner more PT. Plus no matter how much Kendall thinks he can catch 140+ games at his age he can't and needs more rest to stay fresh. Like this move by Macha.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Lots of GM's and other assorted baseball people must have been pretty stupid for quite some time if they are roughly equal in talent.

Well, I don't think he's saying that Jason Kendall in his prime and Mike Rivera now are roughly equal in talent.

If we're talking about where they're at going into this season, I don't think that's an unfair statement. Let's be honest about what we have in Kendall -- he's an aging, professional catcher who will give you a sub .250 AVG with almost no power in the lineup but has improved his defense enough to justify himself still starting at the MLB level. He OPS'ed .647 and .612 the last 2 seasons.

Rivera had an .812 OPS last season, although in a small sample size of only 62 AB's. Starting every 5 games this year, I'd conservatively expect him to regress into the .700-.750 realm, (he OPS'ed .783 for us in '06 in 142 AB's). He's not going to be as good defensively as Kendall, but he's not a butcher, either.

So, I'd say that expecting Rivera to be a little better on offense and a little worse on defense is accurate.

As a former pitcher in HS and college, I strongly disagree with calling a good game being overblown. A catcher that not only "calls a good game", but is a leader out on the field (like kendall) makes it much easier on the pitcher.

Archived