Brewer Fanatic

What is Melvin working on now?

That's not true - TBow's ERA when his 3 blowups are removed is under 2.

Like I said, thats only because Cordero bailed him out of jams numerous times. Also, you've picked the wrong day to defend Turnbow.

There isn't a team anywhere in MLB that has a better 8th/9th inning combo than the Crew this year, despite that karmic negative attitude that some here have about our pen.

That couldn't be farther from the truth. How about

K-rod and Shields

Saito with Broxton and Billingsly

Wagner with Burgos and Feliciano

Hoffman with Linebrink and Bell

Nathan with Neshek and Rincon

Paplepon and Okajima

Over half the set-up men I have listed there have ERAs under 2. Turnbows is over 4.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Some other fans have suggested we bank on getting a strong starter and let the trickle down effect help our bull pen. Problem is who is available? Mark B has made it so clear he wants to be in St Louis, I would hesitate giving up more than a couple mid level prospects for him. What about Dontrelle Willis? I don't think adding another B level starter is the answer, but I'm still disturbed about our bullpen, especially after the last KC game. Remember DBOW has a history of not just tanking 1 game, but doing them in bunches. Even the one super year he had, there was a bad streak that started with a rally in Minnesota (I think Shannon Stewart jacked one on him), and it was a number of games until Dbow picked himself back up. The guy has a fragile psyche, and I don't like depending on that for the eighth inning.

Id hope that while he was in town Mr Melvin made some contact just to inquire about the availablility of Zack Grenkie.

Perhaps we move Dave Bush and Capellan?

I think that Reggie Sanders would be a great platoon mate with Jenkins - better than Mench and the Royals might be happy to move that 5 million bucks. On days where Jenkins would be in the lineup - Id love to see a veteran bat like Sanders coming off the bench and his defense is better than Mench - although Big Mench has been surprising me lately.

Sanders is ready to come off the DL any day now. Sanders has his issues with strikeouts though - - - the one negetive to his game.

Id hope that while he was in town Mr Melvin made some contact just to inquire about the availablility of Zack Grenkie.

Or how about Dave Riske? The Royals might want to keep a young guy like Grienke, but is Riske really in there longterm plans? He has had a pretty good career in the AL. He's better than most of our bullpen. he's not my 1st choice, because I'd prefer someone who'd be an option to close next year, but I'd put him on the list, or get him and another top guy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I hope Melvin is smart enough to build this team in the off-season but explore the options available at the deadline for decent deals such as Grafinino and Bell last year and I hope he looks into Otsuka or some other reliever this year.

No need to mortgage the farm but don't be affraid to part with prospects.

This off-season should be pretty active as ussual with Gallardo and Villanueva deserving of spots and all 5 starters locked up for another season it should be fun to watch who stays and who goes. I think Vargas is a lock to be moved this off-season because of his good play and the fact he is easily replacable.

As for now though I would stand pat unless a really good deal presents itself. Such as Buehrle for Vargas and Jackson or Buerle for Parra.

Like I said, thats only because Cordero bailed him out of jams numerous times.

I'd like to know just exactly how many times 'numerous' actually is. I definitely remember Cordero coming in to clean up the 8th a couple of times, but I'd be very interested in seeing just how many that actually was and how much ERA that would have added.

How much do you think it would cost to pick up octavio dotel, he looked real good today. I know he must be over 30, but i'm not sure of his contract situation. Maybe Zach Jackson for Octavio Dotel? A cellar dwelling team like the Royals really would benefit more from trading their closer than using him.

While it would never hurt to pick up another bat, I think that is not the glaring problem right now. The bullpen desperately needs another power arm, to pitch the 7th or 8th. We have above average production I would say at just about every position. I haven't looked up the stats though, so if anyone has fill me in...

I could really see the Brewers making another trade with the Royals this season. Riske and Dotel will both probably be on the block and we probably have a few prospects they'd be interested in.

Chad Cordero would be another possibility of course.

Also, I could see Melvin dealing with Texas once again and adding CJ Wilson. He'd be the perfect loogy.

Quote:
Like I said, thats only because Cordero bailed him out of jams numerous times.

Maybe I'm looking at the stats wrong, but sorting through MLB.com's stats, Turnbow has only been bailed out once by Cordero(June 5 vs. Cubs). Cordero has pitched 1.1 innings only twice this year, and one of them was to pick up Sheets. Turnbow has also pitched 1.1 innings more than Cordero.

I hope that Melvin is working to get some bullpen help, whether that's to get Balfour/Thatcher up and see if they can do better than Capellan /Spurling or make a trade...possibly dealing vargas.

Archived