Brewer Fanatic

White Sox (Minor League Deal complete) -- not "Tony Gwynn", the original thread topic

A few things that I am picking out here... one is an ESPN article saying the White Sox are desperately in need of and want a lead off batter.

http://sports.espn.go.com...name=mlb_spring_training

The other thing I picked out is that they want it to be a center fielder...

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/1661

Can we please gift wrap them Tony Gwynn for some money or a thank you card or something?

I bet we could convince Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen that Gwynn is worth Aaron Poreda or Gordon Beckham.

I like the idea, I don't expect much back, if a trade did happen I'd hope for some kind of lower ceiling A ball pitcher.

I bet we could convince Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen that Gwynn is worth Aaron Poreda or Gordon Beckham.

We did get Carlos Lee for Podsednik, Vizcaino, and Hinton. So stranger things have happened before.

Hey there - first post, just joined, I'm an admin on a White Sox board (soxtalk.com).

Found out yesterday that the Sox traded SS/2B prospect Sergio Miranda to the Brewers. We don't yet know who he was traded for, though. Might be related to this discussion, or might not.

Here is the thread discussing the trade, and if you want to learn about Sergio, here is his thread in our Adopt a Prospect area, with some good background, etc.

What do you think?

Well, as illogical as it may seem, unless Mr. Miranda is lying or being lied to, its a done deal. Just a question of who else was involved.

Miranda was last in A+ (Winston-Salem). 13th rd pick in 2007, who has done quite well for that round of pick. Aside from one very bad month in A+ to open last season, he's been pretty solid, and improves each month each year. Started in rookie ball in 2007, destroyed picthing there for a couple weeks, promoted to Low A Kannapolis, had his numbers go up each month, finishing the season with nice numbers and on a tear. 2008 he started at W-S A+, struggled, went back to Kanny, kicked ass, then back to W-S again, and did well. He has a history of having a very good batter's eye (more or same walks as K's), good contact hitter, has some speed, and is reputed to be very good defensively. No power though, at least not yet.

The Sox, after a few years of having a horrible farm system, bolstered the middle infield ranks a lot the last two years. Guys like Beckham, Escobar, Kuhn, Silverio, Paiml, etc. make it very crowded.

Hmmm, interesting. It does seem weird that the Brewers would acquire another middle infielder, though. I can't imagine they would have given up much to get someone like that.

This should maybe be split off into a separate thread though, unless Gwynn was actually who they traded for?

Edit: Actually, someone in that White Sox thread mentioned Gwynn is starting for the Brewers today, so it probably isn't him.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I am not disputing the claim that he was traded to the Brewers just that 2 of our top prospects are at SS and 2B(Alcides Escobar and Brett Lawrie) along with 2 other solid prospects(Taylor Green 2B/3B and Brent Brewer SS).

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Someone at soxtalk mentioned Chris Duffy as a possibility. Perhaps that's why he was taken out of the game early yesterday?

edit: I'm not seeing Gwynn in the starting lineup according to JSonline. Also just read that Duffy was scratched yesterday because of a stomach bug.

Getting a SS/2B guy who you expect just to be a utility player in 2-3 years does make sense. Miranda doesn't look to be much above that level. So yeah Duffy or Gwynn or even Nelson to a lesser degree for Miranda makes some sense.

Getting a SS/2B guy who you expect just to be a utility player in 2-3 years does make sense. Miranda doesn't look to be much above that level. So yeah Duffy or Gwynn or even Nelson to a lesser degree for Miranda makes some sense.
Makes sense I guess. I don't know our farm system well enough to know if we already have a guy like that. Even if we do, anything for Gwynn would be nice. I assume he doesn't make the MLB roster this year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Lorenzo Cain makes Tony Gwynn obsolete... and I think he is out of options. He wouldn't clear waivers and will probably start the year on the DL.

At this point, anybody or anything for Gwynn is a good deal, IMO. Knowing Mark A. is concerned with the teams $$, I would be happy with a Gwynn for Miranda and cash considerations.

If the Miranda trade is true... I would like the player to be Gwynn though.

Sergio Miranda is the exact same player as zelous wheeler...in other words, he's a fringe top 50 guy...i wouldn't be surprised if he was acquired for cash, if he was actually acquired...if we traded Gwynn for him, we may have actually lost in the deal

I like the idea, I don't expect much back, if a trade did happen I'd hope for some kind of lower ceiling A ball pitcher.
There is no way they'd trade either of those guys for anything less then an elite player especially Beckham.

Blue font = sarcasm, apirk http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

And is there any update on this rumor? I don't want to badmouth NorthSideSox, but I just don't know why there would be zero news on this from Haudricourt if it were in fact, a done deal.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

And is there any update on this rumor? I don't want to badmouth NorthSideSox, but I just don't know why there would be zero news on this from Haudricourt if it were in fact, a done deal.

Yeah, I really don't see how a player can be told he's been traded and have zero news on any move come out in four days.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
As we are now telling folks in our Minor League Forum, the acquisition of Sergio Miranda has been completed, and in fact, he is participating in spring games for the Crew already. We have 95% reason to believe the deal for Miranda involved cash considerations. Even though it's a minor league deal, we're hopeful that Adam McCalvy of MLB.com can confirm things with the Brewers this week and publish a note on it. We'll drop him a note.

I emailed Haudricourt a few days ago about it... and this was our little transcript... (green text is me, red text is TH)

There is a thread on the White Sox boards stating that Sergio Miranda was traded to Milwaukee...

http://www.soxtalk.com/fo...ndex.php?showtopic=70415

Any chance you could dig for us to see if this has legs?

The guy played in Class A ball last year. Is this a big deal for you? If true, it's obviously a minor transaction.

TH

Assuming it's not part of a bigger deal, that is. And Doug Melvin told me yesterday he was engaged in no trade talks with another club.

I assumed it would be a small deal if it did happen... the reason I am curious is because Tony Gwynn (provided he could pass a physical) makes sense for the White Sox. They need a center fielder and a lead off hitter, and while Gwynn doesn't provide the greatest offensive production ... he is an upgrade to Wise in center defensively, and can help on the bases. If I'm correct, Gwynn doesn't have an option left? .. and I doubt he'd clear waivers. With Duffy and Nelson being our probable 4th and 5th outfielders... I'm assuming Gwynn starts the season on the DL. I am also thinking Lorenzo Cain nullifies Gwynn... since they are the same person.

So a Gwynn trade makes sense for a lower level ballplayer or two I would think.

Obviously this is pure speculation on my part... but my brothers and were talking about this a few days ago... and seeing the White Sox needs we thought it made sense and then we saw the thread on the White Sox board and wondered if it had any relevance to what we were talking about.

I told them I would email you and see if there was anything rumored down by you. That is all... I didn't mean any harm.

Thanks for the responses though.

Here's all that happened. The White Sox were going to release this kid and the Brewers needed a middle infielder for one of their mid-level teams, so they purchased him, I believe. Nothing more to it than that. The Brewers aren't going to trade Tony Gwynn for a non-prospect, low-level infielder.

TH

So that was that. According to TH, he was released and we signed him... nothing more. I was a little insulted with his responses... he was talking down to me.

Archived