Brewer Fanatic

A possible cost-effective Kevin Mench replacement?

Kevin Mench is (in theory) an important part of the team because Geoff Jenkins requires a platoon partner. Kevin has historically crushed lefty pitching, but he hasn't been doing it this year, which has led many people to hope that he is replaced ASAP.

Meanwhile, a formerly great player is agitating to return to the majors and has posted a .900 OPS against lefties in his career, including a .938 OPS last season. He's a switchhitter but only effective from the right side of the plate these days. He used to be a Gold Glove CF, so he presumably would be servicable in left. He made only $1.5 million last season, so he would probably be cheaper than Mench. Also, because he is currently a free agent, the Brewers wouldn't have to give up any assets to obtain him.

The only problem is that he has famously only played for one team in his 16 year career. However, it's possible that his former team's reluctance to resign him this year has embittered him and made him willing to catch on with another team. Also, a (possible) desire to upstage a couple more famous teammates in terms of number of WS rings could play a role in making him willing to sign with a new team as well.

I'm speaking, of course, of Bernie Williams.

From Rotoworld.com:

Although he wasn't willing to talk to teams other than the Yankees in the offseason, Bernie Williams isn't ready to call it a career.

"I?m trying to stay in shape, working hard and we?ll see what happens in the future," Williams told WNBC yesterday. "I don?t think you?ve seen the last of me yet." If the Yankees came calling, Williams would likely sign on immediately. He's given no indication that he'd join another team.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If the Brewers were able to trade Mench, I would certainly welcome Williams to the Brewers. In a part-time role, I think he could still be effective and he has been in a winning atmosphere pretty much his entire career. I am not sure if he would be willing to come to the Brewers, but if he would, I would be interested. A Jenkins/Williams platoon would be fun to watch.

I remember when we dealt Graeme Lloyd, Listach, and Bones to the Yankees for Gerald Williams and Bob Wickman...my dad was ecstatic that we had landed Williams. Only it was the wrong one.

Funny how it all works. For a time it seemed like Gerald & Bernie both could've panned out equally strongly. Gerald may have been the better fielder, in actuality, but he forgot how to hit by his last few years.

I loved that trade at the time. Total brilliance by Sal Bando -- and maybe the only true instance of it. Lloyd was the only strong, serviceable part who had a chance of being a good player ON THE BREWERS (recall Vaughn wasn't going to re-sign for the dollars the Brewers thought they had to offer) of the 5 who were traded in 3 deals at that time. Also, Seitzer was retiring, Bones stunk, & Listach was hurt thanks, I believe, to the bad field conditions in that Las Vegas exhibition game.

Williams got us Chad Fox, who in spite of his injuries was generally quite strong when healthy, before Fox left as a free agent.

Wickman and a couple others (Bere & Woodard?) helped us get Sexson, who in turn got us half a 25-man roster at the time.

That Sexson trade keeps reaping benefits, as other threads have dissected.

Bernie Williams would look good in a Brewers uniform, for sure. But I wish it had a better chance of happening than it seems to.

Geoff Jenkins could play everyday. They don't need to replace Mench. When Jenkins is hitting, he hits enough vs. lefties that with everyone else healthy, they should have a potent enough lineup. Besides, I'd bet if Jenkins is seeing lefties more, it will make righties seem that much easier, and he'll start hitting them better too.

Bring up Rottino on Sept 1, and he could fill in a couple times for Jenks down the stretch vs. lefties if need be.

Graffanino is another guy I wouldn't be afraid to stick in LF.

Bernie may be reluctant to join any team other than NYY, but what makes him different than Willie Mays or Joe Namath or Christy Mathewson? Plenty of great players have tried to catch on for one more shot at glory. The longer the Yankees don't call him (actually, I think they are smart to not, because Torre plays him way too much), the more likely he'll go to some other team.

Bernie might play for the Mets, Dodgers, Red Sox, or another big market, but the idea of him playing for the Crew or the Twins or another small market contender seems very unlikely.

Good catch by Doc Wood on Mench's defense...nearly perfect, has held many runners to 1B on balls near the corner. Considering the plethora of posts over the offseason saying he was horrible, I'd say the opposite has been the case.

I doubt Bernie will have any interest in Milwaukee, but he does have a connection to Melvin.

Melvin was one of the Yankee scouts responsible for signing Bernie when he was 16. So who knows? Melvin gave him his first shot it baseball, maybe Bernie would give him the benefit of the doubt and give Milwaukee a chance.

Geoff Jenkins could play everyday. They don't need to replace Mench. When Jenkins is hitting, he hits enough vs. lefties that with everyone else healthy, they should have a potent enough lineup. Besides, I'd bet if Jenkins is seeing lefties more, it will make righties seem that much easier, and he'll start hitting them better too.

Jenks has not hit lefties over his career so why would he start now??

Bring up Rottino on Sept 1, and he could fill in a couple times for Jenks down the stretch vs. lefties if need be.

Just what we need a guy that has less major league experience getting playing time during a pennat race. A vet bat would be a better option.

I think someone else might have mentioned him recently (maybe JoeHova), but Jonny Gomes has become my new Mench replacement lately. The guy gets pretty much zero playing time in Tampa Bay, and he mashes LHP's. He can't field a lick, though.

Quote:
Just what we need a guy that has less major league experience getting playing time during a pennat race. A vet bat would be a better option.

The vet bat is only better if the vet bat is productive. I'll take production over experience every day.

Quote:
I don't which I'm more tired of reading: Mench can't play - he can, and has 4+ decent years in the bigs to show he can

All those 4 seasons show is that Mench is steadily regressing, and that this years abysmal performance should have been expected, and that only a more abysmal performance should be expected in the future.

As for Rottino, all he has to do is match Mench's 682 OPS, and he makes the team better. By giving the team a 3rd catcher, it gives the team a load of versatility. Estrada can be used as a PH in his offdays. It can now PR for the slowfooted catchers, which Rottino can do himself. He has 10 steals this year and had 12 last year. Rottino also provides depth at 3B, as well as 1B, where both Miller and Graffanino have made starts this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Bernie's an interesting guy, but:

1. He has a rag for an arm. I guess LF would be okay for him, but he's not going to help you in the field.

2. He really doesn't hit lefties that well. Over the past three years, his OPS against them is .776. He was great in 06 - with a .936 OPS - but in 2005 he only had a .591 OPS against them. 2004 was .773.

So, he's kind of all over the board - not killing them consistently. I will be honest, I haven't seen him play much in the past few years, mostly noting how many guys would take extra bases on him because his arm was so bad (Juan Pierreesque).

3. Bernie's a lifetime Yank. Let's let him go out that way.

As for Rottino, all he has to do is match Mench's 682 OPS, and he makes the team better. By giving the team a 3rd catcher, it gives the team a load of versatility. Estrada can be used as a PH in his offdays. It can now PR for the slowfooted catchers, which Rottino can do himself. He has 10 steals this year and had 12 last year. Rottino also provides depth at 3B, as well as 1B, where both Miller and Graffanino have made starts this year.

Have you really seen this guy play defense?? He looked horrible this spring and now all of a sudden he can play 1B or 3B. People thought Weeks or Braun were bad if this butcher gets a lot time out there we would be in trouble.

Mench is not going to be replaced by an unproven guy, they would more likely get a vet to fill that void that has some playoff experience.

Hauser, I'm not sure which of these things you mean:

(1) Playoff experience has independent value, so it might make sense to use/get a somewhat lesser but playoff experienced guy rather than a somewhat better player who lacks playoff experience.

(2) The team should use/get the best proven player, regardless of playoff experience, but minor league performance is categorically not enough to make a player trustworthy in a pennant race.

or

(3) Some players' minor league performance might be strong enough to make them trustworthy in a pennant race, but Rottino's minor league performance proves he isn't one of those players.

Just trying to make sure I understand. Thanks.

Greg.

Mench hits LHP at a 900 OPS clip over hundreds of career AB's, and plays very solid defense (despite what many said all winter).

I doubt Vinny would do either this year, and I'm not going to risk it regardless. Vinny is not an upgrade in the least. Teams with playoff aspirations do not weaken the short-term, to say the least.

Mench hits LHP at a 900 OPS clip over hundreds of career AB's

Mench's OPS against LHP has regressed for 4 straight years, just like the rest of his numbers have. What he did in the past is in the past. He is no longer that player who destroys LHPs. He could be replaced by dozens of guys who are playing in the Minors right now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

(1) Playoff experience has independent value, so it might make sense to use/get a somewhat lesser but playoff experienced guy rather than a somewhat better player who lacks playoff experience.

(2) The team should use/get the best proven player, regardless of playoff experience, but minor league performance is categorically not enough to make a player trustworthy in a pennant race.

It is very unwise to stick a minor leaguer in the pennat race. No track record to have any value.

or

(3) Some players' minor league performance might be strong enough to make them trustworthy in a pennant race, but Rottino's minor league performance proves he isn't one of those players.

Rottino has hit against AAA players not against big leaguers, he also not ripping it up like some think he is.

Just trying to make sure I understand. Thanks

I'm not comfortable with Mench on the team because his presence means Yost will use him in incorrect situations. That's what happens when a guy is proven, gritty and all that. Sure, he kills lefties (or has in the past), but he doesn't walk, isn't anywhere above OK in left and, well, makes a lot of money for it.

Archived