Brewer Fanatic

Laynce Nix All-Stars

jaybird2001wi

Doug Loman was the best hitting prospect at the time but never recovered whatever bit he did have going at the big-league level after fouling a ball off his face.

Once he went down, as I recall, he was never back up and I don't recall him surfacing in the bigs with any other teams.

(Edit: The dubious foul ball happened in a game at Detroit. Struck out looking foolish on the next pitch. Never played well thereafter.)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He wasn't here very long, but did anyone else have high hopes for Adrian Hernandez after his good spring a few years back?
His greatest moment was when he had to make a spot start, was up to around 500 pitches through 4 innings, and Ned kept him in so he could (presumably) try to get the win. I don't remember exactly how that ended, but it wasn't pretty.

edit: ah, here we go:

http://www.baseball-refer...s/NYN/NYN200405080.shtml

Not quite as bad as I remember, but certainly one of the all-time smoke-and-mirrors pitching performances.

You're thinking of Jared Fernandez.

I think he was right. Wasn't Adrian Hernandez a knuckleballer? I can't remember much from when the Yanks signed him, but I did think he threw a knuckleball when he was here. I was quite excited about him too.

Archived