Brewer Fanatic

Laynce Nix All-Stars

jaybird2001wi
this thread is really cool but shouldn't these just be prospects that spent their entire minor league career in the Brewers system? For instance, Laynce Nix wasn't our property until the Carlos Lee trade so he really didn't "come up" through our farm system. Neither did Wes Obermueller (Royals, I think), Brad Komminsk (Braves, I think) and Jose Capellan (Braves).

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Billy Jo Robidoux tops the list. I remember every preseason magazine picking him as the rookie of the year for 1986. Before him Dion James was supposed to be big, but never was.

In trying to come up with pitchers who fit the description I remembered Mark Ciardi. Never made it as a pitcher, but has produced some nice films (Miracle, The Rookie).

Jim Adduci would be another
Jim Adduci came along in the Paul Householder trade, as I recall. I loved Adduci. Fantastically smooth swing. Would've been beaten down nowadays because one year his OBP was worse than his BA -- more sac flies than BB -- must've had crap for an eye at the plate otherwise. Adduci had two of only a small number of hits for the Crew the night I was in the front row behind the backstop in Cleveland watching Odell Jones nearly no-hit the Tribe (which was his first start filling in for Higuera, who only went one inning the Monday before against Toronto, which I was also at, and Odell came out of the 'pen to start the 2nd and pitched 5 great innings --- seems to me Fielder started at 1B then McGriff came in later and homered right after my buddy commented, "Every time I see this McGriff guy, he hits a home run." . . . anyway, that was a really cool Brewers stretch back in May/June of '88).

Love the Tim Pyznarski reference. I was bonkers about that guy. Thanks to The Sporting News (when it still had actual news, was still the baseball bible of its day, and wasn't an SI wannabe) and What's Brewing?, I also closely followed Lavell Freeman and his .390 or .400 BA at El Paso that year -- then he couldn't make it anywhere of consequence above AA in spite of his cup of coffee the end of that year in Milwaukee.

There's another guy (no, not Steve Stanicek -- I do remember him, and definitely not Steve Kiefer -- someone more of on OF/1B type guy like the Pyz) I can't remember -- was a similar AAA potential star who never made it into anything. Like Pyznarski, we got him from somewhere else. Pyznarski came from either the SD or Baltimore organization, I'm pretty sure. The other guy -- I haven't been able to remember him for years -- came from the other, I think, and a few years earlier (don't hold me to that one). Like Pyznarski, too, I think he was a AAA MVP type of player. I think his last name may have started with the letter B, but otherwise I'm totally stuck.... any help out there?

Jim Adduci would be another
I was just coming into this thread to mention Adduci. The guy tore it up in Spring so much that I was actually shocked that only played in two seasons and 47 games for the Brewers. I remember hearing his name all March for many years.

Jim Paciorik. If I remember correctly he made a nice catch in the 3rd or 4th inning to keep Juan Nieves no hitter going.
Very underrated Brewer and pretty much earned more of a shot than he actually got -- and really he had the tougher catch than Robin did at the end of Nieves' no-no.

Pyznarski came out of San Diego. The only guys with B that came out of Baltimore that I can think of are Juan Bell & Rich Becker. Speaking of Rich Becker did we just release him? He had a .385 obp with us.
I might be wrong on the Baltimore part. I looked up Adduci on Baseball-Reference.com and saw the Brewers eventually traded Pyz to Baltimore. I'm pretty sure the guy I'm thinking of came a few years before Pyznarski. Too bad my couple years of Vancouver Canadians team sets are so deeply buried in boxes right now. The answer might well be in there but it's too late at night for that quest.

Turns out I was right, too, on Adduci in '88: 0 BB, 3 SF for a .266 BA and .258 OBP.

Rich Becker came up with the Twins with short stops in NY & Baltimore before the Crew signed him as a free agent. Never could stand the guy because Tom Kelly had this irrational thing for him over one of my HS contemporaries, J.T. Bruett, whom Gophers coach John Anderson described back then as the most talented Gophers player since Paul Molitor. Should've lasted a lot longer if it weren't for some lasting hamstring issues.

Chris Saenz got hurt after his callup and was never the same again. Thus why you never heard from him again.

I think no one prior to 1993 is eligible because the Brewers placed zero value in prospects. Joey Meyer (and Robidoux) wasn't even given a full season of plate appearances before they gave up on him (and his OPS+ his rookie season was 103), and they were jettisoned for the likes of Greg Brock and Franklin Stubbs. LaVel Freeman was given three whole ABs. Steve Stanicek was a first round pick, #11 overall, and he was given seven whole ABs. But Bill Spiers, he of only one season with an OPS+ above 79, got almost 2000 career ABs with Milwaukee; yes he was good defensively, but he was one of the worst offensive shortstops to every play for Milwaukee. He would absolutely be run out of town today with those numbers. Daryl Hamilton was nothing special either; in only half of his seasons his OPS was above league average.

He was my first Brewers man-crush, but I think in a few years we can pencil in Hernan Irribarren at 2b. He was hitting close to .500 in rookie ball, and I remember getting caught up in the hype. I made a special trip to Beloit just to catch his first game at the A level. Unfortunately, I don't think he will turn out to be the star prospect as first thought.

I wondered what scoop would have had to say about Hart's elbow in September last season... his I told you he couldn't hit would have been good humor.

Why hasn't Geno weighed in on this topic yet? This seems like a thread he'd thrive in.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

...But Bill Spiers, he of only one season with an OPS+ above 79, got almost 2000 career ABs with Milwaukee; yes he was good defensively, but he was one of the worst offensive shortstops to every play for Milwaukee. He would absolutely be run out of town today with those numbers. Daryl Hamilton was nothing special either; in only half of his seasons his OPS was above league average.
Billy Spiers and Darryl Hamilton (though Hamilton moreso) were decent hitters but not power hitters. Not everyone hits with power. Therefore, since their SLG would've been WAY below league average, their OBP would've been better than league average. They were solid lineup contributors, especially Hamilton.

Spiers only would've been run out of town by people that live & die primarily if not solely on stats, and fortunately most GMs rely on more than just pure numbers.

Billy Spiers and Darryl Hamilton (though Hamilton moreso) were decent hitters but not power hitters.

Spiers OBP (not OPS) in his five years as a starter, not including 1992 when he was injured: .298, .274, .337, .302. .316. That is no where close to decent.

Hamilton could hit for average but that was about it; never walked more than 47 times in a season. I will grant you "decent" status for him, as his OBP during his tenure was .333, .361, .356, .367, and .350 (not including 1994 when he was hurt). But those are not impressive OBP numbers for the batting average he had, or lack of power.

Archived