Brewer Fanatic

Laynce Nix All-Stars

jaybird2001wi

Every Spring Training all of us get a glimpse of what our top prospects can do as non-roster invitees or as 40-man roster participants and we always zero in on our top prospects and what they can do for our Major League club within a year or two. This has reminded me of the so-called AAAA players that continually tear it up in AAA and we become excited to see them in Milwaukee as soon as possible, only to realize they are going to post OBPs of below .300 and barely crack a .250 batting average. That is Laynce Nix.

Pretty much every team has a Laynce Nix on their team and every year these teams continually boast them as "the future" only to realize they can't cut it in the Majors, either due to less than ample playing time or they just don't have the right tools as Major Leaguers.

During the 1980's when I watched the Cubs on WGN, they always had a "Gary Scott watch" in Des Moines, Iowa and basically called him the "answer at third base" after so many years of stopgaps since Ron Santo last played that position. Scott only ended up playing a handful of games between two seasons with the Cubs. I also believe they did the same with Jody Davis, now Davis was a bit more successful than Scott.

Every year, we as Brewers fans, always kept an eye those one or two guys we absolutely can't wait to see. I think this year's guy is Alcides Escobar. Most recently I flipped through some old Milwaukee Brewers yearbooks from the 1980's and there were a ton of these "can't miss" guys in these programs (ie: Mike Felder, stealing 92 bases with Stockton one year; Brad Komminsk, "can't miss player" according to Hank Aaron)

But what causes these guys to totally tear up AAA only to falter worse in the Majors than players "below" them in the minors? Ben Hendrickson comes to mind, I also seem to remember Kevin Barker "being our guy at first." Can anyone help me fill in the rest?

C:

1B: Kevin Barker

2B: Juan Castillo

SS:

3B:

OF: Laynce Nix

OF: Brad Komminsk

OF: Mike Felder

SP: Ben Hendrickson

RP:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about Mike Kinkade at 3B? He made to AAA for Milwaukee before being traded to the Mets. Was hitting .309/.385/.505; .890 OPS when they traded him. I could never understand why he didn't get a better chance in the majors.

Brian Banks is another possibility.

I'll second the Kevin Barker one. I remember wondering what planet Powell was on when he was spewing nonsense about him being a Rookie of the Year candidate. I also remember wondering whether or not he truly believed that or if he was giving the company line.

How about Tim McIntosh and Valerio DeLosSantos? Going a little bit further back, most if not all the teams prospects from 83 and 84 flamed out for the crew (though some had fairly long careers). Guys like Randy Ready, Dion James, Jaimie Coconower and Doug Loman. Going further back, Dan Thomas was another one, and going way back, a guy named Rob Ellis was a huge flop.

My friends and I were at the game were Chris Saenz shut out the Cardinals for six innings and we thought the Brewers finally had a pitching prospect. Unfortunately he never played again for the Brewers except as the setup man in my MVP Baseball 2005 video game.

I remember the outrage on this board when Pujols said Saenz was lucky. We thought this was a guy that would dominate the Cardinals in a couple of years. I never heard from him again.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Billy Jo Robidoux should have been a major league star just based on his name. But he also had a career .903 OPS in the minors. When he was 21 in AA he posted a 1.020 OPS with 23 homers. Talk about your "can't miss prospect"!

He needs to be starting on this team, either at 1B or DH.

Archived