Brewer Fanatic

Macha considering Kendall at leadoff...

GormanHarvey
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
Seriously though haven't most of us been saying all along every manager does some very odd things? Stuff that just doesn't make sense. It always seems the one you see the most makes the most stupid moves or say the stupidest of things. That is because we hear every stupid comment and see every stupid move. Then we spend page after page talking about it and breaking down every syllable.
That's true, but if Macha keeps making comments like this, his grace period is going to disappear very quickly if we lose a few games once the season starts. Ned's rationale often had to do with intangibles like 'grit'. Macha seems to be flat out making things up--his comments on Villanueva and now implying that Kendall does a good job getting on base.

It's nice that Macha speaks his mind, but if this is how he thinks, maybe I'd rather remain ignorant. It seems like Macha's thinking is based on either past experience with Oakland (in Kendall's case) or from what he's seen in ST. I don't know if it will actually show up in his decisions, but I am definitely concerned.

Macha seems to be flat out making things up--his comments on Villanueva and now implying that Kendall does a good job getting on base.
logan's numbers were way off, Macha didn't make anything up in regards to Villy...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Macha has also made a lot of positive comments. Like this one:

"The way the rest of our lineup sets up, we've got guys with so much power," said Macha. "People say a typical leadoff hitter can steal a base. I don't want to be giving up outs on the bases with guys up there who can hit homers. Do you want to get thrown out on the bases when Prince (Fielder) is hitting? I don't think so."

So...there's that.

Not to mention, stupid is as stupid does. Until he starts batting Kendall leadoff in a regular game, he hasn't really done anything wrong.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

logan's numbers were way off, Macha didn't make anything up in regards to Villy...

Maybe they were. They are the only numbers provided though. Please come up with better if you are going to accuse me of being "way off."

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Exactly why a lot of the Yost venom was puzzling last season.

It shouldn't have been, Yost was clearly a horrible manager.

Different isn't always better.

I'm not sure that we solved all the problems when we fired Yost.

Macha was off on Villy's innings and appearances.

It's not an accusation... it's very difficult to find accurate ST numbers, I had a heck of a time finding anything reliable on Luis Pena all ST. 2 other posters took the time to research the game logs, the information is in the other thread.

Reply 1

Reply 2

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I can't believe Macha is seriously considering this. Rickie Weeks scored 89 runs last year. If the purpose of being a leadoff hitter is to score runs, then Weeks did a great job.
Im really tired of Doug Melvin and others talking about Rickie scoring 89 runs. As if hitting .227 with an on base percentage of .319 against right handed pitchers (the majority) is acceptable. 49 Major league hitters scored more runs than 89 runs. Of course someone who got on base at a rate higher than .319 vs RHP would have scored more than 89 runs. If Ricky did a great job, we wouldnt all be wondering if/when Rickie will reached his much hyped potential.

I'm sure we could have any of the other 29 managers in baseball and we could dissect each and every move and be pretty dissatisfied with half of them.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator
Im really tired of Doug Melvin and others talking about Rickie scoring 89 runs.
It might not be a significant number, but if Weeks and Kendall are each going to get on base 1/3 of the time, I'd much rather have Weeks running the bases than Kendall. I also don't buy into the "running into outs" argument since Weeks has stolen 78 career bases and only been caught 14 times. I don't think there's a statistical way to prove it, but I'm convinced that certain pitchers are going to have trouble when a fast runner is on first base.

I know Macha is just throwing out ideas, but it still concerns me. Some managers (LaRussa) will change the lineup constantly, but I believe that it's best to pick a lineup and stick to it--and that the lineup should have a fast, high OBP hitter in the leadoff spot. Hardy/Braun/Fielder hit plenty of home runs, but I thought that we were trying not to rely on the home run so much. I'd rather be running steals/hit and runs with Weeks on base instead of having Kendall sitting on first waiting for a HR. Hardy/Braun/Fielder combined for 100 doubles last year--and although Kendall is no Gary Bennett, Weeks would likely score from first more often than Kendall.

Macha was off on Villy's innings and appearances.
What's makes us think we'd have better numbers than the coach? So he forgot he pitched more than 1 inning once... the world isn't going to come to an end. I don't see where Macha qualified Villy's appearances or innings pitched with a number?

I know bashing the manager is fun and all, and sooner or later some clown will put up a FireKenMacha.com... if there isn't one already... it's Spring Training, why are we getting so bent out of shape over nothing? I'm sure there will be plenty of criticism once the games count for real. We have no context of the quotes, only the quotes to go on, a writer's interpretation of said quotes, and said writer doesn't exactly have a good track record...

- Plato

- Plato

Why not have him bat 2nd?
Because that might be one of the only things worse than batting him leadoff. They batted him 9th because he grounds out a lot and they wanted to avoid double plays. If my leadoff man gets on, Kendall is the last guy I want at the plate. Keep him 8th.

I do want to see if batting Weeks somewhere else takes some pressure off and see if it helps him, but he's still our best option to leadoff.

Of course someone who got on base at a rate higher than .319 vs RHP would have scored more than 89 runs. If Ricky did a great job, we wouldnt all be wondering if/when Rickie will reached his much hyped potential.

You have to go all the way back to 2007 to have Weeks getting on base at a .352 clip against RHP And in 2006 it was 361. Weeks had a .268 BABIP vs RHP last year, thats why his OBP was only .319

"What he does is almost every at-bat is a seven-pitch at-bat," said Macha.
Considering that quote and the fact that we think he overestimated the number of pitches Villanueva has thrown, I think we can say that Macha is prone to hyperbole.

why are we getting so bent out of shape over nothing?

Who's bent out of shape? We are having a civil discussion about whether Kendall should bat leadooff.

I'm sure we could have any of the other 29 managers in baseball and we could dissect each and every move and be pretty dissatisfied with half of them.

Half? Heck, I would say we would find fault with all 30 managers if we watched them enough.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Half? Heck, I would say we would find fault with all 30 managers if we watched them enough.

I meant we'd be dissatisfied with half of every manager's moves. Not half of the managers. Sorry, wasn't too clear. Me fail english.

You have to go all the way back to 2007 to have Weeks getting on base at a .352 clip against RHP And in 2006 it was 361. Weeks had a .268 BABIP vs RHP last year, thats why his OBP was only .319
BABIP doesn't tell the whole story, it's not like he was unlucky... way too many pop ups and such for him last season. His line drive percentage was the lowest of his career, and it's not trending positively.

- Plato

- Plato

His line drive percentage was the lowest of his career, and it's not trending positively.

I'll be happy to take the over if you think the last two years indicates a predictive trend. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

LD% is one of the most dubious stats in baseball to be honest, it is every bit as variable as BABIP and doesn't show any strong correlation year to year. So a trend in LD% is more or less meaningless.

The point was it's not like he's been ripping the cover off of the ball as you've said on numerous occasions...

I'd take the over as well, because if he hits worse, he likely won't be in the lineup.

- Plato

- Plato

Archived