Brewer Fanatic

2009 NCAA Men's Hoops Tourney

homer
They should be upset that they drew a team that was a 2 or 3 seed in the second round a week and a half before the selection went down. If James is even a shade of himself (especially on the defensive end) they become a different team entirely.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how many more times is this PBP guy going to call them "Wisconcsin" and "Wisconscin"? I've heard both several times. These guys must be their #8 PBP crew.

Game wise, I'm glad to see the Badgers are hanging in the game late. I still don't think they'll win but I'll be pleasantly surprised to see it happen.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

It appears that Wisconsin's best offensive move is for Landry or Nankovil to get the ball in front of the basket, surrounded by 2-3 defenders, do 3-4 pivot moves and then toss a terrible layup/fade away shot.

I'm apparently more confident than most about the Badgers next season. I think as long as Bo Ryan is the coach they will find their way into the tournament. It seems everyone expects a big drop off every year, but it just doesn't happen. I like the two freshman they have coming in, I think they can contribute a little bit. I think you can expect improvement from Taylor and Wilson, they will become better scoring threats. Wilson already is, he just needs to work on his defense and take care of the ball.

The key will be Leuer and Nankivil as others have said. They both showed flashes during the season, Leuer was especially good early on and then dropped off. If they can develop into better defenders and be more aggressive scoring the basketball this team can be very good next year. I expect another Tournament appearance.

I look for even greater things in 2010 with a much more athletic team.

Just like last night, Wisconsin played a wonderful 20 minutes of basketball - the last 10 of the 1st half, the first 10 of the second half, but when they "go cold" they are brutal. Still one win in the NCAA tourney is about what I expected out of this team going into the year, and more than I expected during that 6 game losing streak.

Well, their best inside player next year Nankivil isn't a very good inside offensive player. He can hit the jump shots, but I just wonder without an inside presence whatsoever, what they can accomplish. We saw what happened this year when Landry was really the only inside option, and that wasn't pretty. Nankivil is not even close to Landry as an inside scorer. I just don't see anyone improving by all that much to give them a presence inside.

EDIT: But I will say that Robert Wilson seems to be able to get to the basket...Jon Leuer can get to the basket for a 6'10" guy, and maybe Ryan Evans can be a slasher too. If they can become a team of drivers, kick outs, and open jump shots, that could work. But if Hughes is the only guy that is going to drive, they're going to turn it over just as much as they score.

It's a shame that Marquette lost on a middle school hoops-type violation, but it was the absolute correct call. It just shouldn't be a mistake that a Division I basketball player should make--ever.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

It just shouldn't be a mistake that a Division I basketball player should make--ever.

It happens, though. It was a momentary lapse of judgment. Athletes make stupid mistakes -- even the pros. Hayward is going to remember that mistake his entire life, so I really feel for him.

Did the Missouri player who was injured and subbed out for his free throws check back in after the shots? That's what I thought I saw, and that seems bush league.

Can't say I've ever seen a game end that way. Hayward looked like he just lost his balance. Another heartbreaking exit from the tournament for Marquette.

Woulda been nice to have the chance to find out though

Oh, absolutely.

Can't say I've ever seen a game end that way. Hayward looked like he just lost his balance.

Oddly, the Badgers actually had a similar finish vs. Tulsa in the 2nd round of the tourney a couple of years ago. Freddie Owens hit a late 3 to take the lead, and Tulsa stepped across the line to turn it back to the Badgers.

Oddly, the Badgers actually had a similar finish vs. Tulsa in the 2nd round of the tourney a couple of years ago. Freddie Owens hit a late 3 to take the lead, and Tulsa stepped across the line to turn it back to the Badgers.
Oh why did you have to resurrect that memory from the deep recesses of my brain?

I liked how the Missouri fans were booing Buzz Williams/Marquette after the game. Clearly, the clock operator was doing a poor job, and Buzz had a gripe.

And, by the way, if you're the University of Missouri, your uniforms should say "Missouri", not "Mizzou." I personally found that kind of irritating.

I liked how the Missouri fans were booing Buzz Williams/Marquette after the game. Clearly, the clock operator was doing a poor job, and Buzz had a gripe.

I was under the impression it was the Marquette fans booing the non-call on the three at the end....

And, by the way, if you're the University of Missouri, your uniforms should say "Missouri", not "Mizzou." I personally found that kind of irritating.

I was wondering about this with the abbreviations on the CBS ticker. Couldn't they make it "MISR" instead of "MIZZ"? Abbreviating a nickname seems silly to me.

And is it me, or does the Sweet 16 seem pretty dull? I am sure the games will be good, but the only Cinderella is . . . Arizona? They are the un-Cinderella Cinderella ever.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
And is it me, or does the Sweet 16 seem pretty dull? I am sure the games will be good, but the only Cinderella is . . . Arizona? They are the un-Cinderella Cinderella ever.
I don't like the 'home court' that the higher seeds get these days. Villanova, UNC, Duke, etc. etc. Way to stack the deck to the big programs, NCAA. I think Kansas had two games in Kansas City last year.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived