Brewer Fanatic

2009 NCAA Men's Hoops Tourney

homer
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I told my wife that I was going to stay up to see how Wisconsin came out in the 2nd half and that I would be up to be "shortly." Needless to say that after coming out on a 13-0 run I was up through the OT.

I really do not know what to make of Wisconsin basketball. It seems since as long as I can remember, or as long as I have paid attention (think Michael Finley, Tracy Webster years) the badgers have been the less athletic team and had a hard time scoring, yet they somehow find a way to pull of good wins, while mixing in some stinkers. This team looks no different. In fact that FSU team reminded me a lot of the LSU team that the Badgers played and beat in their Final Four run back in 2000. They were tall, long and athletic, and had the best player on the floor, yet the Badgers won the game.

Anyone know anything about Xavier?

Community Moderator

Xavier was an unimpressive 5-5 in their last 10 going into the tourney including a loss to Temple in the 2nd round of the A10 tourney.

Still, they won the Puerto Rico tipoff back in November by beating Missouri, Virginia Tech, and Memphis in 4 days. Overall, a very impressive non-conference schedule but mediocre down the stretch. I hear they are very athletic and many people have them (including myself) beating Pittsburgh in the Sweet 16.

Wisconsin was the least clutch team all season long, they lost in the last minutes/seconds all year long; I can't believe Hughes pulled that off...

I didn't even care about the Wake loss absolutely killing my bracket, this first round win by a mediocre Wisconsin team was so, so much more satisfying than the heartless few wins (and of course the disappointing losses) posted by well-regarded Badger teams the last few years

I don't even care that they're really not long for the tournament, that was just an awesome gutsy win

Wow!

Coming into the tournament it seemed as if both Wisconsin and Marquette lost every single close game they were in, it's nice to have two back in one day. For all the stuff Hughes sometimes does that makes me frustrated, he'll pull out shots like that every once in a while to make you love him.

Hmm, is there somewhere I can hear the LePay call? I'd love to hear that.

Agree with everyone's comments on the Badgers' performance. That was the most satisfying win they've had in a long time. Bohannon hit some unbelievably clutch threes. Considering how pathetic their late-game offense has been this season, I was shocked by how well they played down the stretch and in overtime. Also, Keaton Nankivil looks like he'll be a very solid starter the next two years.

I hope you're right about the next couple years. Great win last night, but I'm not sure I share your enthusiasm about the near future.

First off, without Krabbenhoft, I think the team is going to struggle with rebounding and all the little things he does. There's not another player on the roster that will replace what he brings. Landry, of course, should be missed too, but in a way, I wonder if they'll be better off without him offensively because for the "go to guy" he's been awful ordinary.

Speaking of offense, when did the swing offense turn in to the point dribbling around at the top of the key with another player coming over every 5-10 seconds to get a hand off and then hand it off to the point again until the shot clock ticks down and then they take a bad shot? Watching them offensively for most of the game last night (and year for the most part) was painful. Did Dick Bennett get rehired as a consultant or something?

I think that next year depends on how good the two redshirt guys (Ryan Evans and Jared Berggren) are. If they are decent, or if Evans (or Robert Wilson) is a guy that can create on his own, they should be all right...at least a tournament team again. On paper, Leuer and Nankivil should be decent, but they have to have some freedom to do some things offensively. And I don't mean going to Nankivil who barely played over the last 10 games because he's hot and no one else acts like they want to shoot, I mean running plays through those two on a consistent basis. I think part of the reason Leuer was so terrible last night and at other times, is that he loses confidence in his abilities when Bo takes him out for shooting in the first two minutes or so of the game like last night. Someone has to want to score Bo. Too often, the Badgers don't have more than one guy on the floor that even wants to shoot.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"I think that next year depends on how good the two redshirt guys (Ryan Evans and Jared Berggren) are."

I hear incoming frosh Brusewicz might be a Krabby type player - banger, rebounder, defender. Although I agree that most of the big men a more perimeter types. I wonder if Gavinski or that dude from Texas will get any minutes next year?

As an aside, that Vander Blue kid looks like just what they need. An athlete that can drive and shoot the three. Too bad he's only a junior this year.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah, I don't expect the Badgers to do much next year. I could actually see them in the bottom 3 of the Big 10. There are just too many "if's" with them. But I think they will struggle both offensively and defensively.

On offense, the team was not very good this year. They had their stretches where they looked great... but it seems like every game they go through a stretch where they go 6+ minutes without scoring. Landry may not have had the senior year a lot of people expected, but he was pretty much their only go to guy in the post. Leuer and Nankivil had their moments, and I know they were only sophs, but a majority of their post moves are for jumpers... not lay ups. And that's what killed this years team at times: They didn't have anyone that could get an easy bucket, so when their jumpers weren't falling they struggled.

On the defensive end is where I think they will have a big drop off. Even at 6'7'', Landry was by far their best post defender this year... and it wasn't even close. Neither Leuer or Nankivil seem to have what it takes to defend the post consistently. They may only be sophs, but when Landry was a soph, he defended Oden very well. And Krabbenhoft usually defended the oppositions best wing player... and next year that duty will be left to Jarmusz and Wilson. I see a pretty drastic drop off there. So I think they may have a big time drop off on D.

So next year, Hughes, Taylor, Bohannon, Jarmusz, Leuer, and Nankivil will be the main guys. They all have their strengths... but in my opinion, they all have pretty major weaknesses as well. We basically know what we will get from these guys.

Wilson and Berggren fall in the players who will be needed to contribute next year, but they are unknowns. It would be great if one or both of those guys came out and contributed positively immediately. But they will probably both have growing pains and be inconsistant.

Gavinski, Markof, Evans, Diamond Taylor, and Bruesewitz are probably guys that won't contribute much, if at all, next year. Gavinski hasn't shown anything yet. Markoff and Evans are projects. And Ryan just doesn't give freshmen many minutes. And by the way, I hate trying to compare Bruesewitz to Krabbenhoft. It's just because they are white guys who are pretty much the same size. Joe averaged 18 ppg as a senior in high school... but he's been offensively challenged at UW. So I'm guessing the Krabbenhoft now is not the Krabbenhoft most fans expected 4 years ago.

Anyways... Go Wisconsin!! This could possibly be the last tournament time this team sees in a couple years.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but bottom 3 of the Big Ten? I doubt it.
I agree with NDOG44 here. With Indiana, Iowa, Penn State (they lose 2 of their top 3), Northwestern (Coble will still be there but Moore is gone) all losing people or just not being that good I think the Badgers will be middle of the pack.

On the offensive end they lose Landry's points but Krabby as much as I loved him probably can be replaced. Increased minutes for Leuer and Keaton will really help.

I do agree with Miles about the defensive end of the court. Trevon is a great defender and I think Jordan Taylor will be very good as well, but Leuer and Keaton both struggle on the defensive end. Hopefully they figure it out. Bergerren is a big question as well as it sounds like the redshirting has done him really well and he is a low post guy who could really help.

My guess is middle of the pack next year. I see Purdue and Michigan State being on top again. Ohio State depends on defections as Rick Potino said he heard Mullens was leaving and Turner could see the weak draft and go as well. Both would be a mistake if they went pro in my mind. Illinois loses a good amount of their back court. Minnesota does not lose much and could jump to the top half. Michigan will be interesting as well. They could improve a ton as long as Sims and Harris dont make dumb decisions and go pro.

Wow! Didn't see this coming for Marquette. Shakes up my bracket, but in better spirits I hope James is able to help them tomorrow. He didn't deserve to have his college career ended with an injury.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Wow that's crazy! Even if he is limited (which I'm sure he will be in both play and minutes) that's got to help their offense. McNeal and Matthews have shot just awfully since James went out, so hopefully he can create some shots for those guys. If he can play even 20 minutes or so it should be a help.

Not to mention their defense. Acker has played pretty well all things considered, but he was eaten alive on the defensive end by bigger/stronger point guards. They missed James' defense as much as anything IMO.

No matter how many minutes he get, I'm just glad that James gets a chance to play again. After playing so hard for 4 years at Marquette it would have be terrible to end his college career like that. In terms of his actual affect on the game I think the most important thing is that they will have depth again at the position. I haven't watch Missouri but I read somewhere that they are a high pressure team. Having fresh players can only be a good thing when playing a team like that.

Ive been doing some lurking and the Mizzou fan base is ridiculously confident that "Marquette will never be able to keep up with them"

They know that Marquette is in Wisconsin, but that they are not the University of Wisconsin right? Cripes you would think that Mizzou was a top 5 team the way they are talking the smack.

Archived