Brewer Fanatic

Would You Be Willing to take a 5% Pay Cut...

For me, my teaching job has been eliminated as my district is moving towards 200 student contacts for each middle school teacher. With 850 students, we only need 4 social studies teachers. I should be guaranteed a job though, as there were some with less seniority in the district.

The first caveat regarding a paycut is that I'm a teacher, and we took one last year when adjusting for inflation (and $4.20 gas the first 6-8 weeks of the school year). However, we are expecting a paycut as Arizona is once again dropping to 51st in spending/student. We also have heard whispers of a 1 or 2 day furlough during our prep week at the start of school. I really don't care about a furlough as long as it's the first two days back, not the 4th and 6th. I coach girls golf at a local high school and that provides a bit extra money.

I'd take the cut to save my job, but no one elses. We've already had our pay frozen this year, profit sharing eliminiated, while the cost of benefits continues to rise. Add in inflation and things are already very tight.

And with the uncertain ecomony, say we take the 5% cut now. What garantee is there that a few months from now, things are still bad, so they have to layoff more people anyway.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
My company isn't giving out pay raises this year in order to prevent layoffs.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived