Brewer Fanatic

Hoffman Side Strain / Latest: Placed on 15-day DL retroactive to 3/27 (reply 18-ish)

Minigoon

Well, that's definitely not good considering how the pitching has shaped up so far this spring. McClung may be a possibility, but like the blog post says, he may be needed to fill in for Looper. Villanueva and Riske seemingly haven't had very strong springs, either. Here's to hoping Hoffman can avoid the DL to start the year and we don't have to suffer through watching Jorge Julio saving games.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The season isn't going to be won or lost in the 1st 10 days. What guys have done this spring is also meaningless. I think with Coffey, Julio, Riske, and Villanueva, they have plenty of experienced arms in the pen. Somebody will pitch the 9th.

If Hoffman is DL'd, they could go with 11 pitchers and be able to carry both McGehee and Lamb initially.

The season isn't going to be won or lost in the 1st 10 days. What guys have done this spring is also meaningless. I think with Coffey, Julio, Riske, and Villanueva, they have plenty of experienced arms in the pen. Somebody will pitch the 9th.
You're really that confident in Riske?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Welcome to closer by closer by committee!

If Hoffman is DL'd, they could go with 11 pitchers and be able to carry both McGehee and Lamb initially.

I really doubt losing their best BP option will prompt them to keep less RPs...If anything, I would think that would possibly prompt them to keep 13 instead of 12 pitchers.

Buster Olney just said on BBTN that McClung will close out games until Hoffman comes back. I wonder how much truth there is to that.
He would be my choice, heck he was my choice before we signed Hoffman. This way we get a sneak preview of Seth in that role, perhaps if he has success he could be the guy next year or in two years. Depends how long they keep Hoffman.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

It sounds minor, and missing 4 games is not a huge deal. The main disappointment is we all miss out on Hell's Bells opening day if it's a save situation for the Crew. Hopefully Hoffman will be ok to pitch on Sunday as I'll be a that game as well. Is it a sacrilege to cheer when Hell's Bells plays on Easter?...........................Oh well.

What are the chances that his rehab assignments are with the T-Rats, being that it is a quick drive to Milwaukee from there? It'd probably cement my inclination to get some tickets to opening weekend in Appleton next Thursday/Friday if Hoffman would be suiting up.

Then again, I doubt they want him throwing in 45 degree weather in rehab assignments. Heat wave?

Buster Olney just said on BBTN that McClung will close out games until Hoffman comes back. I wonder how much truth there is to that.
Seth walks a lot of batters. That's a recipe for disaster in the 9th inning.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured we could use some good news for once: Per Adam McCalvy's Blog (Brewer Beat)

Hoffman throws 40 pitches

I'm 400 feet away, up in the press box, but if the high-five between Brewers closer Trevor Hoffman and bullpen catcher Marcus Hanel was any indication, Hoffman's first mound session in more than a month went well.

I counted an even 40 pitches over 13 minutes, and Hoffman threw his full assortment. Assuming that went well, he'll be off Thursday and could either throw another bullpen or perhaps a live batting practice session on Friday in New York. At some point if he continues making progress, Hoffman will be sent out on a MInor League rehabilitation assignment.

The Brewers would love to have him back. Pitching in a non-save situation Tuesday night, fill-in closer Carlos Villanueva surrendered three runs on four hits. To be fair, two of the hits took tough hops near third base, including one that jumped up and hit Bill Hall in the left collarbone. Still, Villanueva allowed a 3-1 Reds lead to grow to 6-1, and manager Ken Macha hedged just a bit when he was asked whether Villanueva's role was up in the air.

"We'll have to see how he's feeling [Wednesday]," Macha said. "Certainly, [Todd] Coffey and [seth] McClung and [Mark] DiFelice have king of pitched a little better than he has right now. We'll see how he's feeling."

Per Adam McCalvy's Blog (Brewer Beat)

Trevor Hoffman told me that Wednesday's bullpen session went well, and said he expects to begin a Minor League rehabilitation assignment as early as Tuesday, when Triple-A Nashville begins a series in Memphis.

"Whenever they're in Memphis, I'll be there," Hoffman said.

First he'll have to throw another bullpen session on Saturday in New York. Whether the next step is in Memphis or in Philadelphia, where Hoffman could throw a simulated game before the start of the Brewers-Phillies series, is to be determined, according to manager Ken Macha.

The good news Wednesday was that Hoffman got through his work without any setbacks.

"It's good to be back on the slope," Hoffman said. "I didn't throw as many strikes as I would have liked, but I think the key was to come out of it pain-free."

Archived