Brewer Fanatic

Morlan DFA'd; Littleton claimed off waivers -- Latest: Morlan reclaimed by Tampa (reply #17)

Crew2323

Eduardo Morlan was desiganted for Assignment, but there hasn't been any indication that Tampa Bay will take him back yet. The Brewers claimed Wes Littleton off of waivers.

Link

Littleton in; Morlan out

By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel
Mar. 17, 2009 12:50 p.m.

The bid of Rule 5 draft pick Eduardo Morlan to make the Brewers' bullpen has failed, so they're going to give someone else a shot.

The Brewers have claimed right-hander Wes Littleton on waivers from Boston and he will come to camp to try to make the club. To make room on the 40-man roster, Morlan was designated for assignment.

I just talked on the phone with general manager Doug Melvin and he said Morlan has been offered back to Tampa Bay but the Rays haven't decided if they'll take him back. They have until Thursday to decide.

Follow me on Twitter

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I just talked on the phone with general manager Doug Melvin and he said Morlan has been offered back to Tampa Bay but the Rays haven't decided if they'll take him back. They have until Thursday to decide.
Under Rule 5 regulations, before he could be offered back to Tampa Bay, Morlan had to clear waivers. That means all the other clubs passed on him.

He is sounding like Reuben Quevedo. Looked good at one point, gained weight, lost speed (fastball), maxed out at AAA. If TB doesn't want him back, that would indicate he is farther down this line that we thought and TB knew it.

Id be stunned if the Rays didnt want him back.

Roster spots are tight right now, and Morlan isn't all that exciting, so I'm not suprised he cleared waivers. Tampa has to put him on there 40 to take him back, and they weren't willing to do that in the offseason, why would they want to do that now?

Littleton is a guy I wanted to aquire a few years ago. He has kind of stalled, but has interesting stuff. Getting waived by Boston isn't a critism, they're absolutly loaded.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

They dont have to put him on their 40 man roster. Any team other then Tampa wanting Morlan would of had to but as his home organization, the Rays just have to accept him back and place him on a minor league roster.

That 6th inning is almost Yostian....

The starter (Cabrera) starts the inning down 5-3 -- He gives up a leadoff jack in the 6th, and gets the hook.

Then Burres gives up 8 ER in 2/3 an IP. Now, why not let him finish the inning, once the game is over, or pull Burres sooner? Burres gives up 5 consecutive singles and gets yanked -- I suppose that's the limit.

Hey, I remember the time Wes Obermueller had a no-hitter (perfect game, even?) through 5 or 6 innings in Washington once.

I'm fine with giving Littleton a chance. He's only 26, and it can't hurt to try him out. Even if he doesn't last the whole year on the roster, maybe he knocks a worse option out of the bullpen out of camp.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Perhaps the third Wes will be the charm for the Brewers.

Gotta think big picture here...go back a bit further and you have a pretty useful Wes:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/covinwe01.shtml

And Del Crandall's middle name was Wesley, too...

Back on topic, it sounds like Morlan's stock has fallen about as far as it can right now...doesn't seem that long ago that he was a big time arm in the Minnesota system. Now nobody thinks enough of him to spend a roster spot on the guy. Littleton doesn't have a lot of time to make an impression, but he's had his moments.

Special Assistant Dick Groh recommended both Morlan and Jeff Bennett for the rule 5 draft. I'm hoping if he recommends another AA reliever with mediocre stuff and results again next year, Melvin decides to not waste the 40 man roster spot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived