Brewer Fanatic

fantasy trade proposal- Gordon for Pence ?

this was originally a fantasy trade proposal to me .. Alex Gordon for Hunter Pence. But, looking at Houston's and KC's current teams, this might also be a deal worthy of making in real life. Put Pence in center field for KC and move Teahan back to third , and have Gordon start at third for Houston.

I was given a call and asked since i had so many fantasy third basemen on my team, what would it take to trade for Alex Gordon. My first response was a lot, since it's a keeper league and he has a great future ahead of him. I then said it would probably take a 25 year old all star I looked at his roster and asked for Hunter Pence.

This league is a money league and has 4 OF positions, 1 corner infield position, and a Dh position. and I can only keep 9 players every year. Since it's a money league and also a keeper league I think twice before trading potential stars. it's a 14 team league.

Currently I have Miggy Cabrera as my starting third baseman. I also have Glaus, Alex Gordon, Ryan Braun, and dbacks' Reynolds. Two of these third basemen always sit on my bench. My outfield consists of Soriano, Griffey, Hart, Jenkins, Cruz jr and lofton.

Normally, I would never trade a guy like Gordon. But I have no plans to trade Cabrera in the next ten years, and Braun is looking great. Although Gordon may qualify at first down the road and all I have there is nomar and Sexson - neither of whom I will probably keep past after this year..

Pence would fit nice into my outfield both now and in the future. I'm loaded at third, and Gordon a luxury i really don't need.

My question is will Pence be able to keep it up? and remain at an all star level for the next 5 years? I fully expect Gordon to continue to hit as well as he's been hitting the past two weeks.

Should I make this deal?

I would look for a better return than Pence (someone more worthy of keeping from year to year), but I probably would deal Gordon if you already have Braun and Cabrera. If you are looking for a young OF with all-star potential, I would target Adam Jones of Seattle (he's in Tacoma now). He may not do much (in MLB) this year, but he'll be very good for awhile, imo.

Why not attempt to trade Gordon for Billy Butler? Butler has always been young for his league and while his cup of coffee was a bit stale, he still projects to become a middle of the order bat for a young team in the near future (though the team is considered a cellar dweller in a very competitive division, however the same was probably said about Prince or Rickie 2-3 years ago).

But Shealy is terrible and will soon be DFA'd (51 OPS+ for a first baseman!). Plus, he's in a keeper league, so Butler would need to keep some defensive value for a few seasons at least.

I've heard that Butler is an all-time butcher at any position. He's already made one error in 5 chances this season. Plus, he's only caught 4 balls in 43 innings in left this year. Small sample, I know, but that matches up with what many expected from him in the field.

I think he'll be their full-time DH starting next year, and will pretty much never see the field again (kind of like Edgar Martinez's last 10 years).

I like Butler as a hitter, but prospect-watchers do not like him at all defensively. People thought Prince and Rickie and Braun needed work, but Butler is on a whole 'nother level.

I noticed Sweeney is now injured and the Royals are starting to play Gordon at first. if he plays 20 games at first this year, he will have first and third base status for next year which would make him more valuable to me. My first basemen are sexson and nomar. Neither player is currently worth keeping.

You guys don't sound like you're that enamored with trading gordon for hunter pence as being a great long term future all star like Beltran? Pence had a great year in the minors and is doing well so far, but you guys are still not gushing all over him? and you believe Gordon will be a better long term player?

Despite Gordon's struggles, there is still a bust awaiting the young 'Husker in Cooperstown, the same as there was some 3 months ago. He's outdone George Brett's rookie season thus far and he hasn't proven to be Miguel Cabrera-defensively-at the hot corner. Then again, I also don't see him ever getting 35HR. As for Butler, I just think his bat is going to become Dunn-like in power, and he'll actually keep a .300 average.

about three weeks ago i added Gordon to my fantasy team, and he's been awesome, so immediately i thought 'why trade Gordon for Pence. Gordon's been awesome.' but I looked up the stats and Pence continues to be amazing, and definitely the ROY so far (sorry, Braun).

June splits:

Gordon: .337/.389/5/18

Pence: .358/.378/4/16

edit: wait, sorry, Gordon and Pence aren't competing for ROY. my dumb.

Archived