Brewer Fanatic

Getting a new ID

ryne100
Ok so I'm looking at my ID, and it's from my freshman year of college, and it has my old address and stuff. It isn't expired, but if I were to get a new one, what do I all need? I would think my current one would be good enough, but what about proof of current address? Do I need this?

Assuming you're talking about a DMV-issued driver's license or state ID (and assuming you're in Wisconsin), here is the Wisconsin DMV page on obtaining a replacement license or ID. Oddly, it doesn't appear you have to supply proof of address, but if you have a piece of reasonably official mail sent to you at your current address, it might not hurt to bring it to the DMV.

If all you want is for the address to be updated, I believe there's a sticker you can get at the DMV service centers where you write in your current address. When we last moved, a few years ago, the S.O. got a sticker for his license. I was coming up on a renewal anyway, so I just got a new one.

If you're over 21 now, replacing your license/ID would get rid of the "Under 21 until (your 21st birthday date)" - so that might be worth the replacement fee.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I think like Hawing said they only give you a sticker for your driver's license for change of address. It will cost more, but if you want a new one you will have to say you lost your old one.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think like Hawing said they only give you a sticker for your driver's license for change of address. It will cost more, but if you want a new one you will have to say you lost your old one.
Not true. You can get a new one if you have a change of address. I went into the DMV a couple of years ago to get a change of address on my drivers license and all it cost me was the price of a new license which was about $20 I think it was. You don't need anything but bring a bank statement with you with your current address just in case something has changed since I last did this. I didn't need anything but I did bring in a recent bank statement just in case.

I just tried to get a new Driver's license when I moved last summer and went to the little quick serve DMV office in Westgate in Madison. They told me all they could do is give me a sticker and wouldn't reprint my license, even though they issue licenses there. It is the same place where I went to renew my license (which resulted in them printing me a new license) just a month earlier. I guess I should have never underestimated the stupidity of bureaucracy that government agencies can come up with. I mean seriously, they have all the means and equipment to print new licenses right there but just can' t do it for some odd reason. (Not to mention the annoying rule of cash only but I was prepared for that stone age concept.)

I would have been better off driving with an expired license for a month and later going in and renewing it after I moved so I could get the correct address on it.

They also said the sticker would make my license unacceptable by the airport security people. I fly fairly often so I didn't want to risk any extra hassle so I declined the sticker.

They did say that if I went to the main office at the Hill Farms building they would give me a whole new card but I am not about to take a day off of work to sit in that place just for a corrected address.

yep, DHonks, that drives me crazy, too.

Yes, officer, my eyesight is exactly the same at age 62 as it was at age 27.

Ridiculous.

Just the fact that most cities don't have driver's education as a requirement (no classroom, no behind-the-wheel!) says enough about our states problems with drivers. Isn't Arizona something like number one in the country in accidents per capita? BIG shock there.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

pitchleague, it's nice as a teacher as I leave for work at 6 am and return home at about 6 pm. I miss morning and afternoon rush hour. Still, lots of idiots out here. My newest pet peeve is that when I'm 2nd in the left turn lane and the light goes green, people in AZ don't inch out into the intersection to turn. They wait behind the line, even with no red turn arrow on lights. If the light doesn't have any left-turn arrows, it means only one car might get through at the end of the light rather than 2.

You can either get a sticker to update your address, or update it on a new license. It's your choice, but the new card will cost you $10 or 20. If you don't get it updated and you get pulled over for anything, you can get fined. Most likely you'll get a warning, but you might just run in to a big enough jerk that will get you for it. And you'll for sure get that added on if you get tagged for anything else, kind of like a seatbelt ticket.

You can either get a sticker to update your address, or update it on a new license. It's your choice, but the new card will cost you $10 or 20. If you don't get it updated and you get pulled over for anything, you can get fined.
If all you want to do is update the address you either call, mail, or send them the info online. \

If it's not expired there's really no reason to get a different one altogether.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/change.htm

When I renewed, the DMV punched a hole in my old license and told me I could keep it as a "spare." They said it would "work" in a pinch.

The difference in your case was probably that you got a duplicate instead of renewing. I suppose they feel that a lot of duplicates could get out of hand.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived