Brewer Fanatic

Pudge to Astros

Obviously the Astros will now add Jake Peavy out of ST, & Adam Dunn after the deadline, thus securing yet another pennant & WS title.

Game, set, match, Ed Wade.

(honestly though, not a bad pickup at all for HOU as long as the money's about right)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah, good pick up for them, nothing spectacular though. Hes a definite upgrade over Towles/Quintero and it maybe allows Towles to mature more, become the guy they needed him to be last year. I would be shocked if he caught more than 120 games for them.

On Ausmus though, he is regarded as one of the smartest people in the game along with Greg Maddux. He will probably replace Cooper at some point soon as the manager of that team. He would have been a great guy to pick up for the Brewers last year, if only for that same purpose.

I think Palmisano goes back on waivers, so other teams could pick him up but would also be required to keep him on the 25 for the year. After that he goes back to the Brewers.
Formerly AKA Pete

They'd be better off just letting Towles play.
You obviously haven't seen Towles try to hit major league pitching. This is a big upgrade for them and to be honest would have been an upgrade for us if we had signed him.

Having said that the Astros still have 1.5 viable starters so I don't see them going anywhere without a lot of luck.

This results most likely in the return of Palmisano, correct?

Not likely. The Brewers are pretty well set with catchers at AA and AAA between Salome, Lucroy, Corporan, Maldonado and that's not even counting Rottino.

I thought the rules were that he would have to be returned if he didn't make the 25 man roster, like Crabbe last year?

I wouldn't count them out. They were in the hunt for the playoffs until September last year. I am mildly surprised that Pedro has yet to sign a deal especially considering Smoltz's deal.

Probably a good thing for the Astros that Puerto Rico was knocked out last night to give Pudge and the Astros pitchers a little more time to get to know each other.

I wouldn't count them out. They were in the hunt for the playoffs until September last year

They had a one month hot streak that almost pushed them into the playoffs, that can happen with almost any team in baseball. They still do not have any pitching. From August 7th to Sept 11th they were 26-8.

A large part of the hot streak was how insane Wigginton was during that stretch. 102 AB, .333/.364/.716/1.080. The Astros are most likely the 5th best team in the NL Central unless they sign some real pitching. Moehler, Hampton, Capellan, Backe and Ortiz are not going to cut it filling out the 3-5 spots.

Archived