Brewer Fanatic

Where to sit in Minnesota

jeffy

Looking for any suggestions on where to sit in the Metrodome. Planning a trip there for one of the games Memorial Day weekend.

In case it might help, likes and dislikes at Miller Park: Favorite locations are loge or club level in the home plate area (ie. behind the plate, but not behind the screen). Next would be loge level on the first base side. Not a big fan of the field level at Miller, as the low pitch puts too many heads in the way, unless you are in a very low row (is that an issue at all at the metrodome?).

Also any suggestions on where to buy the tickets would be appreciated. I've been buying Brewer tickets from craigslist ads lately, but not sure if that will work for an out of town game.

Sit in a aisle seat! The rows are very long and those staid Minnesotans get real mad if you keep getting up or if they have to pass beers to you every few innings. A co-worker loves to sit out in LF when he goes to games. I've sat in RF once, and it was pretty good, except you can't actually see the right fielder.

I usually sit along the first side, but it's very crowded on the base lines. And the farther you get from home plate the more you have to twist in your seat and turn back to see home plate.

That said I kinda like going to games there. It's convenient for me. Also, you can park at say, Mall of America and ride the light rail to the game, saving the steep parking rates downtown. And they have a Famous Daves in the metrodome with pricing about what you'd pay at the restaurant. Miller Park of course is vastly better, but if you want to eat there you better like your meats in rolled tubes or else be willing to settle for greasy, convenience store slices of pizza.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Its been a long time, but I do remember sitting on the 3B line, out in LF. To watch home plate, you have to look over your right shoulder (literally, not just look to the right) and I ended up with a sore neck.

Thanks for the tips so far. Had not thought about the seats not being angled toward the action. I noticed that the website keeps wanting me to buy tickets way down the left field line, I'll avoid taking that default option.

Looking at this: http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/ballpark/seating_pricing.jsp it appears that the RF corner is angled to at least aim toward second base, is that correct? But not even being able to see the right fielder does not sound too good.

I need to empty my bladder frequently, so the aisle seat idea is a good one.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

There really aren't that many "good" seats, not like Miller Park. I've taken in mostly football games at the dome but probably the best seats I've had were down the 3B line first row in the upper deck. No one is your way and you can see everything. They are way better than the top row up behind home plate, those seats sucketh.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It's really a football stadium where all seats look straight ahead. However, if I recall correctly I think there is a section at the end of each foul line that does indeed tilt back towards 2B. That would probably be better than sitting one section closer to home plate and having to turn in your seat the entire game.

I usually opt for the general admission seats in the outfield. Most of the seating is so bad in the Metrodome that we kind of gave up on the mid-range options where your neck hurt after the game. If you choose general admission, just scout out the section numbers and arrive early so that you are in line when the gates open.

Parking around the dome is over priced and it lacks the ambiance of the Miller Park tailgate crowd. The light rail option is probably the way to go. Otherwise, the streets around the dome are backed up for blocks following a game.

I didn't make a trip to the dome last year, but they used to have a general admission ticket that included a voucher for a papa johns pizza. Its not a bad deal, but you are limited to certain vendors and there is usually a line until the late innings. I've sat in the right field section before. There are usually only a few people in the area. Other than not seeing the right fielder, its not too bad.

My wife snagged company tickets for a game in 2002. We sat about eight rows behind home plate and had a nice view of the Brewers dugout. Matt Stairs blasted a couple of bombs and Jose Cabrera survived a few innings to get a win.

What is your budget?

As others have said, whatever you do, do NOT sit far down the foul lines. My neck and back hurt after the game whenever I sit there. You are literally twisted looking towards home plate the entire game.

I've sat 2nd row in section 131 a couple of times before and I like that. It is nice because you can almost reach out and touch the on deck batter. I had a chat with Johan once while sitting there. The prices are also not too bad ($53 bucks).

Overall, I would say stick between sections 118-132 on the lower level if you want to be behind home plate. In the outfield, 139+ on the lower level are all pretty good in my experience. There is always a chance you'll get a HR ball out there.

As TheCrew07 said, in the upper level, I find it more enjoyable to be down the line or above the right field outfield (above the baggy). There truly aren't very many good baseball seats there. The place is really hurt by not having seats down the line face home at all.

No real budget, I'm usually willing to pay up to $30-40 for good seats at MP, loge diamond box or club level at Miller.

If I buy from the team, I am apparently either getting about row 18 in the top deck behind the plate or a similar row in the left field "home run porch" area. So, unless I find another source with reasonable prices and better seats, it looks like I'll be choosing between those two options and just taking the general admission, sit above the baggie, route. Anything higher priced reverts to the neck pain zone far down the left field line.

BTW, no need for transit or parking tips as we are staying in a hotel a few blocks away. But we will be looking for other things to do in downtown Minneapolis as we plan make a weekend trip of it and stay for 2 nights.

I just bought tickets for the Friday night game down 1B in the OF, and for Sat night down 3B in the OF. I figured they were bad seats. I've never been to the Triple H Dome and wanted to catch a game there before they open their new park. It will also be the GF's first game outside The Keg. I figure it will help instill in her how great The Keg is. But I expect it will be better than the Urinal on the North Side.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I got to the Dome every year as it is a closer trip then MP. If you can get inside the bases, the seats are not to bad. Second deck is OK. If you go in with the idea that the place is a dive, then you will have an Ok. The place is unique, that's for sure.

I usually try to sit as close to the aisle as possible. Davego is right about sitting inside the bases. If you sit along the left or right field foul line your neck is going to hurt. Straight out in the outfield is okay but I like to be closer to home plate. Don't expect too much as far as amenities. The Metrodome is ugly and utilitarian. However, it gets the job done and going to Twins games can still be a very fun time.

Every Twins fan I know can't wait for the new stadium. A few who get season tickets are literally counting down the days.

I've been there for football but not baseball. From my football experience and from what baseball I've seen on TV, my suggestion would be to stay in your hotel room and watch on TV. Or better yet find a bar where you can antagonize Twins fans. (if you can find any Twins fans)

Joe Pepsi - I go to about 30 Twins games a year and the parking lot I park at charges $6 and is about a 3 block walk. The most expensive lot I have seen is $10 for the closest lot but the majority are at $6 or even less if you want to park a little further out. Light rail charges $4 per person ($2 each way) so assuming you are taking at least one other person I fail to see how you are saving any money by taking light rail. On top of that there is a long wait to get on the trains after the games and they are mega crowded. I would advise JeffyScott to skip the train and just drive in.

Well you are getting a good deal on parking. I went to a day game in the middle of the week last year and paid $20 in a lot by the Star-Tribune. I think if you park in the old Lakers fieldhouse it's $15-20 bucks too.

Don't be surprised if half the people get up and walk out around the 7th inning. Even if it's a close game.

A decade ago when the Twins had good young talent but weren't very good yet, you could go to a game for 99 cents some nights and pretty much sit wherever you want. I went to one in 1999 where the announced paid attendance was just over 9,000, but there couldn't have been 4,000 people there. The ushers didn't much care where you sat, so by the mid innings we were in the front row behind home plate. Also, we parked on the street for a quarter at that sports bar right next to the dome. Ah, those were the days....

The Best place to sit when watching a Twins game is in the comfort of a hotel room, or your own home. The Metrodome is a toilet. I have been on the field there and seen games from the stands and there isnt anywhere worth sitting in that place that involves paying admission.

Well I have never gone to a day game during the week but of course it makes some sense that it would be more expensivethat is when parking is scarce because of the people who work downtown. Although usually that part of downtown isn't as busy. During any night game or weekend game you will be able to park for $6 or $7 easy. I'm not exactly sure where you parked by the Star Tribune because I don't where that would be because the only Star Tribune building I know of downtown is in the warehouse district sort of by the Target Center and you would not have walked that far.

The Best place to sit when watching a Twins game is in the comfort of a hotel room, or your own home. The Metrodome is a toilet. I have been on the field there and seen games from the stands and there isnt anywhere worth sitting in that place that involves paying admission.
I second that. When I first read the title to this thread, the first thought that came to my mind was "...how about a bar somewhere in Wisconsin." Unfortunately for me, the MetroDump is the closest stadium to where I live, so I've seen a few too many Brewer/Packer

losses there.

Last summer we sat in the lower left field bleachers and got there early to watch batting practice. The seats were about the cheapest you can get in the dome.

I'm not exactly sure where you parked by the Star Tribune because I don't where that would be because the only Star Tribune building I know of downtown is in the warehouse district sort of by the Target Center and you would not have walked that far.
They have their main offices on 4th Ave and 5th St. I think the lot he was referring to was probably the one behind the STrib building on Portland Ave.

I'm trying to think of how many of these games I am going to attend. I live only a little over a mile from the dome, so it would be so easy to walk over there and catch the Crew. I'll probably go to 2 of the 3.

LF seats are DEFINITELY the way to go. Every seat is angled towards the middle of the field for football purposes. However, in left field and on the first base side, they are facing each other because those are the endzones. I have sat all over that stupid stink hole in my 25 year life span and LF is the only spot where you can sit comfortably. Plus you will find a lot more Brewer Backers in the "Home Run Porch".

Looks like I'm going for left field, too...at least for Saturday night. Sunday we are going to stay flexible, if there is nothing else we want to do there that night, we'll just buy some general admission tickets the day of the game if nothing better is available.

Am I correct in assuming that the general admission seats typically do not sell out?

But those outfied seats are seats, not actually "bleachers" (meaning benches), right?

Archived