Brewer Fanatic

Supplementing the bullpen and bench at the deadline.

Ok here they are:

Joel Peralta--RP--K.C.

Peralta has a 3.62 era in the AL, a WHIP of 1.15, with 8.1 K/9, 2 BB/9, and a K:BB of 4:1. Spurling is OK for now, but I imagine his ERA will begin to ramp up to even out with his WHIP. Peralta would be a better middle inning righty than Spurling, and is more consistent than Capellan.

The only problem is that while 31 years old Peralta hasn't become arbitration eligible yet, so while he is effective and cheap K.C. doesn't have a huge reason to move him. Perhaps they could be enticed with a couple of aging prospects like Laynce Nix and Zach Jackson, with a Brad Nelson thrown in.

Damaso Marte--RP--Pitt.

1.96 era with a 1.13 WHIP, 10K/9, 4BB/9, K:BB of 2.5:1. Holding lefties to .108/.215/.108. Also, with a .255/.333/.404 mark against righties, he has been no worse than Shouse. The only problem with Marte is he has a contract for 2008 paying him 2 million dollars, and a 250K buyout on his 2009 option.

Again, Marte would be a good pick up for Milwaukee, but I don't know if Pittsburgh would be motivated to move him. However, with their limited offense, they may have a use for Kevin Mench or Gabe Gross.

Aaron Boone--1B/3B-Fla.

Boone has a decent OPS of .811 (.286/.388/.423), he has played both third and first this year for Florida. He has a .308 average this year pinch hitting. He could provide extra insurance at the corners, and could spell Fielder and Braun down the stretch to ensure that they do not wear down. Offensively he brings more to the table than either Counsell or Graffanino, and he is only signed through '07 so there are no long term financial concerns. I suppose Boone will be targeted by several teams at the deadline, and is probably not worth more to the Brewers than a Sarfate and some other lower level minor leaguer.

I've always liked Marte because he doesn't have to be used strictly as a LOOGY. He's also quite servicable against righties. I would be very happy if the Brewers got him (assuming they don't give away too much).

That said, I'm starting to wonder if a trade for bullpen help makes sense. Parra and Thatcher look ready to help the pen right now and Balfour has also had some success. Maybe it would be better to trade Shouse, Capellan, and Spurling (who all have good enough ERAs that another team might be interested) and call those 3 guys up.

I think Parra is far better than Marte....just as Yo is better than Bush/Vargas and Braun is better than Counselnino.

I think that is our group of deadline improvements.....although I do think we'll make a nominal move to augment the bullpen...but it won't be meaningful. Just my opinion.

I've argued elsewhere that I think the bullpen options available are not neccesarily better than us trying out more internal options especially if you factor in keeping the team young. Bench wise the only logical places for improvement are a better cady for Jenkins and catcher. Since Miller isn't going anywhere that really in my mind leaves open looking for a right handed platoon partner it would be nice if he could play first too to back up Prince.

I don't see this year as a "supplement the bench or bullpen" year. We have plenty of those pieces in place with quality players. I see this year as a year where we trade a bunch of our nice pieces for one big name. That being said, I don't see any move being made. If we stand pat, we have a chance to do just fine.

Archived