Brewer Fanatic

Braun Injury Thread - Latest: Right thumb contusion 3/31 (X-rays negative, day-to-day) - reply #66ish

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't directly bagged on the training staff in over month, I'm due... why is this waiting game so popular with the Brewers? 4 months and it appears that it didn't heal properly, then he continues to play hurt... It sort of reminds me how general practitioners treat athletic injuries... "it doesn't look too serious, no activity and come back and see me in two weeks..." At least when that happens to us the parents were dumb and didn't follow instructions so we can't even have our trainer work with the kid to rehab, once they have a note specifying a length of time, our hands are tied. A professional organization really has no excuse, this muscle group should have been a non issue for 2009.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm still not too worried about it, to be honest. Braun himself seems to be kind of bewildered by all the concern...if he's not worried, I'm not prone to be. After reading Tom H's blog post about Braun being taken out today even though he didn't ask to be, it makes me think the Brewers are just playing it extra-safe. If this is still an issue three weeks into the season, then I'll start to get worried.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I am sure he will be just fine after a little time off to rest. Hope he is not trying to take Sheets spot for being Mr. DL now that he is gone. Just rest it Ryan and when the season starts go out there and do your thing!!

I didn't see the ABs from today, but it strikes me as funny that the quotes on TH's blog seem very worried that Braun didn't swing the bat at all today, stated as if that indicates a real problem, however, it was also noted he only saw 8 pitches today. So he walked on 4 straight pitches twice today, and that's the sign of a problem?

I'm going to try to refrain from getting to worried about it at the moment, because it seems like there may be a bit of over reaction going on.

"Roger said he wanted him out of the game," Macha said. "I don't want the guy to get hurt. So if he's tight, [he's coming out]. I didn't talk to him. He didn't swing the bat. He stood there for [nine] pitches and walked twice."

(From the article on brewers.com)

I make no claim that this is a definitive improvement, but... if having a sore back makes it so that Braun doesn't swing wildly at the first pitch near the zone and starts taking more walks instead of swinging at junk, that can hardly be a bad thing!

"This is the life of a...the life of a...Go Getter...Go Getter"

My point is....#8 knows how to succeed in life and in Baseball which I guess co-inside for him. He knows his body, he knows his abiltiy. If this "concern" was a threat to his ability to succeed in life and/or his baseball career, I would think he would be playing it with more self concern that he has been showing. My trust is with Braun in this situation. I know how many players "just want to be on the field, and will play through pain:".....but for some reason, Braun is a different type of player from what I've observed. This kid has an unbelievable grasp on society, his role on the team, his role in Milwaukee society, his role in baseball society, his role in baseball history, and the life ahead which is waiting for him. I would highly doubt he's going to risk success this early in his career.

I'm ready for a big year from our 2 through 5 hitters with a hopeful interest with #1 and #7 hitters. Cameron and Kendell will be themselves...no surprises there (Stable).

The biggest "huh?!?" moment in my head when reading the blog was when Tom H said staff wanted him to get an MRI done and he refused. What?! The Brewers should have said then... "No, we're paying you 45 million dollars to play baseball, so you're going to lay down in a machine for 30 minutes and take an MRI." It's not like he has to pay for it.

The biggest "huh?!?" moment in my head when reading the blog was when Tom H said staff wanted him to get an MRI done and he refused. What?! The Brewers should have said then... "No, we're paying you 45 million dollars to play baseball, so you're going to lay down in a machine for 30 minutes and take an MRI." It's not like he has to pay for it.
Maybe Ryan is afraid of getting cancer from getting to many X-Ray's and MRI's? I know I stay away from those kind of procedures like the plague since more and more studies are coming out saying how bad those procedures can be for you long term.

I doubt that is the reason that Ryan doesn't want to take one though. I guess I'll try to trust Ryan, although if I remember right he downplayed this same injury last year when it first started to affect him

Hate to be a glass is half empty kind a guy, but is this the same issue that he had at the end of last year? If so, it's been over 5 months now. It doesn't seem like something that's just going to go away with a little bit of rest.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

If this is true about the negative x-ray, which I hope it is, perhaps it would just be best to sit Braun until Opening Day in San Fran. That would seem to be the wisest choice.

edit: link to Braun's negative x-ray.

Braun leaves game, x-rays negative

By Anthony Witrado of the Journal Sentinel
Mar. 31, 2009 9:34 p.m.

UPDATE: Ryan Braun's x-rays were negative. He is offically listed as day-to-day with a right thumb contusion.

Follow me on Twitter

I can't believe they took him to Maryvale Medical Center for x-rays. It's one of the most ghetto facilities in the valley. There are atleast 10 better options for places to have the x-rays done. He's a star in the league and the team takes him to one of the worst places to have an x-ray done... wow.

Man, wonder when the brittle braunie chants will start up this year...
They already have. I got a text from a friend this morning saying Braun was the new Sheets. I did not respond, as I did not think it deserved a response. It's ridiculous if anyone is thinking that. If people start to give Braun the Sheets treatment for an intercostal tightness and a bruised thumb I might lose it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

What r u guyz talking about Brauny is made of paper LOL

Honestly, I hadn't even stopped to consider that some fans would start that comparison. Argh.
He does seem to be made out of the same material as TGJ's bat, whatever highly breakable thing that might be

Braun is back in the lineup today - not sure if that makes me happy or not. I guess it does

Archived