Brewer Fanatic

Braun Injury Thread - Latest: Right thumb contusion 3/31 (X-rays negative, day-to-day) - reply #66ish

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have issues with the format of the WBC so far, but all in all I enjoy it. I'd like to see the first round be a round-robin with the top two in each pod advancing and then an 8 team double elimination tournament rather than this two 4 team mini round.

I feel like after this year, there won't be as much to worry about with the WBC, when it switches to an every-four-years format. Once that happens, it seems like most players will probably only play in two tournaments (maybe three at the most, if you have older guys competing just for kicks). You already have the returning guys this year on Team USA talking like this will be their last tournament, and that was a factor in deciding to come back again (I think Oswalt was the guy who was talking like it would be his last chance to represent his country, or something to that effect).

The position players might end up playing in more tournaments, but the injury worries are obviously not as prevalent there. I think eventually we won't have to worry so much about pitching injuries, either, as it seemed to me that teams were starting to go away from having the starter throw a lot of innings. Team USA carried, what, three starters this year and the rest were relievers taking an inning at a time? It's hard to get too worked up over pitcher workloads if guys like Oswalt are still only pitching 4 innings like he did against the Dutch the other night.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The WBC is going through some growing pains. It's going to take some time to iron some of the issues out. I don't agree with having one of the rounds in Miami. I understand it somewhat from an international view point. However, given the ridiculously low attendance of some Marlin's games, I find it odd that they chose that location. One radical idea would be Miller Park. I know that it would probably never be considered, but I'm guessing that they would get some pretty good attendance at those games.

In regards to Braun and injuries to other players. As someone who seems to be constantly defending the sport I love to others (Steroids issue, past labor issues, crazy contracts, sore finger injuries, excitement compared to football or basketball, etc.), this really annoys me. I'm hearing the guys on XM radio talk about how these players are not use to playing a full 9 innings at this level, this early in the year and that's why we are seeing some of these injuries. Come on. Even I can't blame other sports fans of laughing at baseball over this. Baseball is not that physically demanding compared to other sports. You stand out there and possibly field between 3 and 10 balls during the game depending on where you play and then you have 4 or 5 ABs. This is causing injuries? I can see the argument for pitchers at this point in the season, but position players? Give me a break.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Yeah, I still say these guys could just as easily get the same injuries during spring training. I mean, look at the Brewers' own current injury riddled spring training roster.

They'll continue to tweak things going forward. I personally think they will start to get away from having mostly MLB guys playing...maybe transition towards more minor league and college guys, with a few MLB guys sprinkled in.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Baseball is not that physically demanding compared to other sports. You stand out there and possibly field between 3 and 10 balls during the game depending on where you play and then you have 4 or 5 ABs. This is causing injuries? I can see the argument for pitchers at this point in the season, but position players? Give me a break.

This is just completely wrong, sorry.

Baseball is a start and stop game. You stand around doing nothing and then go full speed at random times. It is also an every day sport unlike football where you can take 6 days off between games to recover. It leads to a ton of pulls and strains until you are ready for it and that is what most of the injuries are. It is no different than football or Basketball when it comes to getting back into every day game shape.

Baseball is a start and stop game. You stand around doing nothing and then go full speed at random times. It is also an every day sport unlike football where you can take 6 days off between games to recover.
I've heard this argument before and the only part I agree with is the playing every day part. However, it's spring, they just started playing! Shouldn't they be doing some conditioning in the off season? I don't buy the whole "start and stop" thing. I'll agree 100% that it takes more focus than many other sports because of this. I know this first hand from coaching youth baseball. Trying to get kids to understand that just because they have not had a ball hit to them all game does not mean that they should be ready for one to be hit to them and that they should know at all times what the situation is, is not an easy thing to do.

However, these are young men who should be in prime physical condition. They do plenty of stretching and core work before and between games. Having to suddenly sprint after a ball hit in the gap should not be an alarm for injury concern. I can understand the concerns later in the season after the toll of playing day in and day out starts wearing on the players, but it's March. How many games have these guys played? 15? 20? They are already starting to break down?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

These same injuries happen in football and basketball every year as well. In football you just miss a few practices until they work themselves out. In baseball you miss a few games. These aren't traumatic long term injuries, they are day to day could probably play through a lot of them during the year but why take the risk type ones.

If you watched the USA's reaction to their win last night... I think you're appreciation for the tournament had to have gone up. All of those guys care. The tournament could use many changes... including expanding rosters so they can play more games in fewer days. This tournament needs to take a few weeks... not a month or more. Besides, with expanded rosters, you will really dig into the "depth" of the countries and I think it will hold more water as to which countries house the best baseball players.

I love the tournament though and wish there was a way to help advance it...

Whoever thinks baseball isn't physically demanding should run as fast as he can and slide into a base, preferably home plate with a catcher wearing protective gear blocking it. Then swing a bat as hard as you can a few dozen times. Follow by running full tilt in the outfield and dive with your body in full extension before landing on the ground. Be sure and make a video, post it to youtube and have your nurse post the url here.
Formerly AKA Pete

Yikes, looks like a touched a nerve. I love baseball more than any other sport and I think it's one of the most misunderstood sports in the world. Heck, I completely understand a pitcher not being able to pitch because they have a blister. I'm not sure that I said that it wasn't physically demanding. But, I'm sorry, other than the fact that it's played every day, it's not nearly as physically demanding as football, basketball, tennis, hockey, horse racing, or many other sports. Yes, there are the diving plays and occasional collisions at home plate. Football players are colliding with other players every single play.

Also, yes I might hurt a little after fielding 25 ground balls. But then again, A. I'm 43 and out of shape and B. I don't get paid millions to play baseball.

I would hope that a professional athlete who gets paid a good some of money and is there 20's or early 30's would be conditioned well enough to be able to play 15 or 20 games and make an occasional dive or sprint after a ball in the gap or take a few dozens swings of the bat without a great risk of injury.

Whoever thinks baseball isn't physically demanding should run as fast as he can and slide into a base, preferably home plate with a catcher wearing protective gear blocking it. Then swing a bat as hard as you can a few dozen times. Follow by running full tilt in the outfield and dive with your body in full extension before landing on the ground. Be sure and make a video, post it to youtube and have your nurse post the url here.

I think the original poster said it wasn't AS physically demanding as other sports. Depending on how you look at it I'd agree with that statement. It very much so is physically demanding, but my guess is the NFL and NHL would be more so and maybe the NBA (depending on how you look at it). I think the way I look at it is a guy like say Cecil Fielder, Frank Thomas, list goes on etc. are bigger guys that by and large were/are out of shape, but still played at a high level. You just don't see as many overweight guys playing running back in the NFL or playing in the NBA or NHL (there are some linemen I'm sure in the NFL who are over weight). There are instances where a guy like say Braun, Weeks, or Hall is just as athletic as guys in the other sports. I hope that all made sense. And AKA Pete, if you're say David Ortiz you won't have to do any of things you mentioned except swing a bat, which I'll give you can take its toll and you do use a lot of energy and force. Again, I hope that all makes sense and by no way am I saying baseball is easy or lets players out of shape always perform well. I'm just saying there are guys (particularly 1B, DH, and some pitchers) who don't appear to be in elite shape.

Follow by running full tilt in the outfield and dive with your body in full extension before landing on the ground.
I bet half the people couldn't even sprint out to centerfield and back 9 times, not even accounting for any plays during the game, any baserunning, any of the HOURS of pregame work. Of course you aren't colliding with people like football. But, there's a reason they call it a grind. I think it's fair to say if you haven't played beyond high school you won't understand or appreciate that concept.

I guess I don't see why there are people who can't understand that injuries are a part of life and happen no matter how well prepared you are to avoid them. We didn't evolve playing baseball, and even if we did our bodies are somewhat frail by nature. Things happen.

You've never had a freak minor injury doing day-to-day things? Day-to-day stuff for baseball players involves a lot more activity and risk of injury on a higher scale than everyday Joe.

I'm glad Braun didn't play last night with the rain and sometimes windy conditions. The fact that the next round is in LA worries me a bit. When Braun had his torso strain last year, the fans were told that he was fine when he was dragged out on the West Coast trip that included LA where Braun and his family live. Later it turned out that it was still bothering him. The team admits that he'll hide injuries. Maybe he fooled them or maybe Yost rolled over for him.

Now he has a chance to play for the national team in front of his family and friends in LA and call me crazy for thinking that he might play when he should rest or be limited to rehabilitation. Is that a lack of understanding that injuries are a part of life? I also don't think its a freak injury.

Formerly AKA Pete

The physical nature of the game isn't even that relevent when you think about it. The best point is about the length of time spent inactive standing in the field followed by suddenly needing to go full speed without any prior notice. I've developed a stiff neck after a sneeze... All it takes is a stiff neck or a minor muscle strain to take a .300 hitter and turn him into a .200 hitter. I'm not freaking out about it but if I had my way I'd like to see Braun in AZ resting until there is no doubt he is healthy.

I've been reading through this thread and have really been struck by the fact that a lot of people find the WBC to be trivial (for lack of a better word). Maybe it is because I am a soccer fan as well as a baseball fan but I think this is a very important event. This is (though I do find it has plenty of room for improvement) baseball's "World Cup" and feel that--as in soccer--players should be honored to be playing in it. I can't imagine any soccer player turning down the World Cup because of "obligations" to their regular season team. From all I've read the WBC is huge around the rest of the world.

I don't like to see anyone--least of all one of the Brewer's best players--injured but I think this is every bit as important as MLB itself. Everyone is playing for the "homeland". I for one have a great deal of respect for the players that choose to play and would not want to see anyone sit out because of fear of being injured.

My hat is off to RB for playing and taking this serious. I hope that the USA really puts together a cohesive team and manager next time, puts egos aside and plays the best players for the best situation. Maybe then we can bring the WBC trophy to the country that started all this.

EDIT: This post is probably more suited for "WBC fan or not" thread. At this time of day everything runs together for me. Feel free to move it or delete me for not paying attention.

I don't understand how the team did not examine him after he came back from the WBC. I'm usually not one to blame injuries or such on the team, but to me that is beyond stupid. I hope I don't come across as a jerk. I just don't see how the Brewers failed to examine Braun once he came back.

Archived