Brewer Fanatic

Braun Injury Thread - Latest: Right thumb contusion 3/31 (X-rays negative, day-to-day) - reply #66ish

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It doesn't 'sound' all that bad. It probably ends his WBC, but that's not a huge deal. Hopefully players are being more on the safe side with this stuff. I don't see a reason not to have him done with the WBC.

I to doubt its bad, but after seeing what Braun went through last year with that intercostal strain I would hate to have him have to deal with that again. As it really affected his swing.

Oh I agree. He should be done for the WBC. This way he'll be able to rest until opening day and right now there's enough time to rest if it's not a major thing. From Braun's WBC he looks ready for opening day so I'm not too concerned. It may actually be a good thing to get him back to camp...as long as it's not serious. Hopefully Ryan was more on the safe side.

or he could have blown out a knee playing for the Brewers...

Yeah it is too bad he got hurt, but for position players it doesnt matter if they are playing in the WBC or in spring training, the risk of injury is the same.

I agree with RyDogg. You hate to see one of your guys get hurt, but it could have just as easily happened in any other game.

You almost have to figure this effectively kills USA's chances of making the finals, if he is done playing for them. He seemed to be one of the few they have who was hitting consistently.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

So according to Haudricourts latest blog update it is the same injury. Just a mild version of it and the Brewers haven't been able to get their medical staff to see him. It doesn't sound like Braun wants to come back to AZ. The team needs to put an end to this nonsense. The WBC is worthless and I don't think Bud or anyone else involved in the WBC is going to be paying Brauns salary while he misses time. The risk for injury is the same as if he was playing in AZ but the fact that they have to rely on the opinion of the Marlins trainers is a joke. He should be on the next plane back.

or he could have blown out a knee playing for the Brewers...

Yeah it is too bad he got hurt, but for position players it doesnt matter if they are playing in the WBC or in spring training, the risk of injury is the same.

Which is exactly why the second line of my post said:

Sure, he could just as well hurt himself in our spring training game, but at least that would have been at OUR game....

I guess I just dont see the difference between getting hurt in a spring game that doesnt mean anything for us vs. getting hurt in a WBC game that at least has some utility. People are acting like these guys playing in the WBC are a bunch of fat out of shape weekend warriors that just got off the couch and are now giving it 100% and are risking injury. Braun is probably playing LESS baseball in the WBC than he would be in ST, only the baseball he is playing has a greater meaning.

I realize you noted that he could just as well have hurt himself playing for the Brewers in a spring game, but to say that you do not have interest in seeing the WBC continue forward seems to at least imply more than your lack of personal interest in the games and a general interest in the WBC ceasing the exist due to the injury component. All I am saying is that the fact that it happened in a WBC game is really inconsequential. Even with a pitcher, unless that pitcher is pitching quite a bit MORE than they would be or more often than they would be in ST I dont see how one could get upset about pitching injuries either. Heck, Braden Looper is hurt and he wasnt getting ready for WBC action, lots of pitchers have had setbacks in ST this year.

I guess I just dont see the difference between getting hurt in a spring game that doesnt mean anything for us vs. getting hurt in a WBC game that at least has some utility.

I agree -- especially this injury... it seems like a holdover that would have been re-aggravated at sometime this ST.

Other teams are risking their players as well. I'm sure if Zambrano blew his arm out in a WBC game, we'd be singing the praises of the WBC.

...to say that you do not have interest in seeing the WBC continue forward seems to at least imply more than your lack of personal interest in the games and a general interest in the WBC ceasing the exist due to the injury component.

I didn't read the statement that way at all. I read it to mean, "No Braun, no fun."

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

...to say that you do not have interest in seeing the WBC continue forward seems to at least imply more than your lack of personal interest in the games and a general interest in the WBC ceasing the exist due to the injury component.

I didn't read the statement that way at all. I read it to mean, "No Braun, no fun."

Yeah I think that is probably what he meant, but the way it was written it says that he doesnt have an interest in seeing the WBC continue vs. doesnt have an interest in watching it anymore this year. Its semantics, but pretty much part of my job everyday so it spills over to this forum sometimes.

"Johnson also said left fielder Ryan Braun will be undergoing an MRI on his right side, which he strained, at the request of the Milwaukee Brewers. Johnson added that Braun did not want the exam, but that the Brewers said Braun has a tendency to not admit when he's hurt.

"He wanted me to keep an open mind and let him swing tomorrow," Johnson said. "I know ballplayers. ... I [said], 'I know you're lying to me right now. I also got word from the Brewers you might not be honest with me.' "

I love Ryan Braun

(Source: Braun day to day, Lindstrom done --1992)

Community Moderator

I'm more upset about the negativity over the WBC than the actual injury. It could have easily happened with the Brewers as well--he's actually playing in less games with team USA than he would have been with the Brewers. It's not like he's taking more swings this way and it isn't like he's only going to give 80% at the plate in a Brewers ST game.

The WBC is extremely popular everywhere except the US. It has been great for global baseball and will continue to be in the future.

No ill will toward the WBC for me. I have really enjoyed the tourney as I did in 2006. And I really loved that Braun was on Team USA and hitting well. But he is much more important to the Brewers then Team USA and I want him 100% going into Opening Day so I kind of hope they bring him back to AZ and shut him down a week or two to heal and get back to 100%.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I don't want to comment off topic (brauns injury) but I'm not excited about the WBC. Play it every 6 or 8 years or whatever but even some of the players have lost interest already. I don't want to see our franchise player getting hurt while playing for team USA. I know that the exact same injury could have occurred in a meaningless ST game but the big point, the only point is that then the Brewers team doctors would be there to evaluate him and decide whether he needs to sit. Now his health is in the hands of the Marlins medical staff. That doesn't seem right to me.

The WBC is worthless

I agree with obsessedwithbrewcrew. This comment is way off-base imo. All it takes is watching more than one game of the WBC to see its value. To non-USA teams, this thing is the freaking Olympics of baseball, and is respected as such. While I agree with & understand the concerns about injuries, imo you really can't make a compelling argument that a player would have been safe & avoided any injury if he were just playing in ST.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived