Brewer Fanatic

Aroldis Chapman-Cuban LHP

JoeDirt

Better question, how is it that a Cuban has the last name Chapman? Also there was another fellow named Leslie Anderson. I would have guessed with the strict rules in Cuba involving leaving the island that there wouldnt be anyone with English last names.

Don't want to start a big political debate but what is the issue with Cuban players being stuck there?

Is it because of the trade embargo we have on Cuba? Or is the Cuban government holding them there? Or both?

I know if I was Yulieski Gourriel I would just stay in the USA after the WBC, I mean look at what he could have here versus what he is stuck in.

There where talking during the game about Cubans vs Japanese how different they are in how they export baseball and how well its worked for Japan, bringing in money for the game in Japan and the players themselves. All while the Cubans are stuck making a couple hundred bucks a week and their baseball dreams on hold.

You can watch his start vs. Australia on the link above. At the 3:00 mark of the video he hits 100 mph, which is his highest of the game I believe. He didn't fare as well against Japan today. He gave up 3 earned runs, but all of them were after he was out of the game.

Don't want to start a big political debate...

Is it because of the trade embargo we have on Cuba? Or is the Cuban government holding them there? Or both?

I think we can nail down the answer to your question without debating politics. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm no expert, so I'm not going to get into guessing (and probably being wrong), but this article is interesting: Cuban Immigration to the United States.

This topic sure seems to be worthy of being in a baseball forum, but I sure as heck don't know the best place for it. Since Cuban immigrants generally become Minor Leaguers, I'll put this thread into that forum. Maybe another mod has a better idea. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Its a combination of Cuba wanting their players to leave for free and the US forbidding US companies from dealing with Cuba so posting fees can't be made.
I am sure money might be part of it, but is there more behind it than that? I think Cuba must have rules regarding emigration or something. Remember when their World Cup soccer team was in Florida and a bunch of the players deserted? Or maybe it is because they would have no other reasonable way to get to the U.S. (where we allow them to apply for citizenship after 1 year).

Archived