Brewer Fanatic

How busy will the trade deadline be?

How active do you think this deadline will be? I am going to see this will be one of the busiest deadlines there will be. Mainly because there are a lot of players that have 1 yr left.

Players I think may be traded

Ken Griffey Jr.

Mark Texiera

Jacque Jones

Mark Buehrle

Eric Gagne

Tori Hunter

Adam Dunn

Maybe Jermaine Dye

Miguel Tejeda

Brad Lidge

many others

Standings wise, Brewers have the central pretty well in hand so far. Boston has a huge lead, otherwise it will be up to the next month of baseball to see who will be buyers or sellers.

Your thoughts?

if you ask any of us, we'd probably agree that the Brewers have a commanding lead on the Central, but I bet the Cards and the Cubs think they can still catch up. Maybe even Houston if they can add a big hitter.

the other two divisions are so close, I agree with you that there should probably be a lot of motivated buyers this year.

Should Dontrelle be added to the list?

I think Abreu, Giambi, and Mussina could be available if the Yanks were out of it. But with that lineup and front office I never consider them out of it. After last years dissapointing deadline, I don't expect that much happening.

can't the Yankees at least make a legitimate run at Boston or even the WC yet? they've certainly been playing better lately.

sure, Hughes must be out of the question, but there'd be rioting if Yankee fans thought they were giving up on the season. I definitely see them as buyers, plus I can't figure Steinbrenner knows how to or even wants to run a team any other way than playoffs-or-bust.

deadline trading didn't seem too down last year, but maybe it's a philosophical shift in baseball after all these mid-market teams have gotten so good due to keeping their prospects. Heck, you'd have thought the Sexon trade would have scared teams away from that permanently.

It's pretty safe that there will be only 1 maybe two major deals, and a fair amount of window dressing. The first thing I noticed on that list was that you have a number of old OF bats, and a lot of them either have serious warts like Jones or phantom warts like Dunn. Others like Griffey have no trade rights. With the Yankees kind of being in no mans land that even further depresses the buyers. There's going to be a lot of GMs who are interested in being buyers who kind of sit around window shopping all the different choices, but never decide to really pull the big trigger. I'd say that the best odds for your major deal are within the next couple of weeks. There's always that pair of GMs who are motivated to make a deal and aren't interested in trying to play chicken down to the wire who hook up.

The Yankees are far too arrogant, and their fans are far too fickle for them to ever consider themselves out of it. It'd take several years of futility before them being sellers is plausible.

not to mention far too talented. They'll make a run at the division much like they did back in 2000, I think it was.

Archived