Brewer Fanatic

Adam Dunn anyone?

This thread isnt really about a proposal, what it would take to get him, or even if the Reds would deal with us.

That said, He is a Free Agent at the end of the year, we couldnt afford to resign him, he doesnt play OF particularly well and we already have a glut out there, but...

The way I see it, Mench needs to go, trade him, release him, whatever.

Gwynn can go down to AAA from mid to late July to September 1, then call him back up when rosters expand.

Hart/Gross and Hall can play CF, with Hart playing RF for Jenkins vs, LHP. Hall kills LHP and has trouble with righties, so starting Hart in CF vs. some RHP would be a way to keep Corey in the lineup a lot.

THe line up could look like:

Weeks - 2b

Dunn/Hart - LF

Hardy - SS

Fielder - 1b

Braun - 3b

Jenkins/Hart - LF

Estrada C

Hart/Hall - CF

Pitcher

I would like to get Dunn as a LF. I would prefer Abreu or Burrell as I believe they would come a little cheaper for various reasons, but Dunn would be a nice fit.

It doesn't look like Dunn will end up the all-time great that some people projected him to be, but he is a very good player. He would really help the Brewers OBP deficiency and has a little better power than Jenkins.

I like it. Four quality players for three spots, they'll all play about 75% of the time.

I still wouldn't give up a top prospect for a rental, doesn't matter who it is, but if something like Mench + Jackson would get him, maybe we add one more prospect and get one of their in return, I'd be totally on board.

We'll you're not going to get him for junk that the Brewers don't want anymore, that's for sure. Elite sluggers in the prime of their careers are going to cost a good prospect or two. Now, if the Reds thought Jackson was a good prospect, that's be great, but I doubt they do.

Elite sluggers in the prime of their careers are going to cost a good prospect or two.

3 months of an elite slugger doesn't equal 6 years of two good prospects each.

I don't see us making a big move at the deadline for this very reason. Maybe a reliever.

Quote:
I would think a deal centered around Turnbow, Parra, and Gwynn maybe. Perhaps Palmisano.
I would love to add Dunn but I think they'd have to give up a more premium prospect (Inman?) in their package.

Actually Peavy that is what I thought also.

I just read Cott's page though and I guess that the 2008 Option is waived if Adam Dunn is traded before 2008.

That is one hell of a contract the Reds signed him to.

Avoided the second year of Arbitration with a 7.5 million dollar offer in 2006. The Target was 7.1 to 9. The 2007 contract is 10.5 (which would have been the last year of arbitration) and his 2008 is 13 million team option that can increase to 16 million based on awards bonus's and is voided if he is traded.

That is one hell of an agent. Get basically what he would have received anyways plus an option that is on par with the elite sluggers in the league and the option is voided if he is traded. Nice!!!! Either Brian Peters is a genious or the Red's GM that signed him to that is a damn fool. I will take the latter.

Either way I don't think Dunn will be traded this year based on this new information.

If the reds are interested in trading dunn, obviously I'd be ecstatic if the crew got him. I'm not going to come up with a proposal, but I think if they could get him for prospects who (I hope) aren't long term pieces it would be awesome. I'm not sure what it would take, he's an elite slugger for sure, but it comes with his poor defense and inability to hit for average (which I am aware is not a problem, but its perceived as one it seems), and the fact he's a half season rental.

but maybe before any Dunn trade we could get him to waive his free agency in 08.

Dunn could really be just the right fit for this year and next and I think would be worth Inman (if Inman's even enough). Provided he plays in 08, he's instant offense to a team that is starving for it, we don't strike out a ton, so can absorb all his, and having Dunn for 08 fills in the time gap until LaPorta plays in 09.

It assumes he'd play for us in 08, but giving up Inman, likely Inman++, wouldn't be terrible, because either he's an integral part of an 08 playoff run or we trade him late-season and essentially get Inman back again.

I thought I recall seeing/hearing somewhere that Dunn HATES hitting at Miller Park. I don't have the stats here (and I'm too lazy to look it up) but I'm willing to bet his career numbers at MP are not good at all.

I want a guy in the lineup that will be able to sac fly that runner on 3rd with 1 out. Dunn would strike out more than he would fly out.

That's what you are going to base your player evaluation on? How well he can hit sac flys? Nevermind the many extra times he'd get on base or the multiple home runs he'd add.

I am pretty sure we can get Jose Hernandez too.

Quote:
That's what you are going to base your player evaluation on? How well he can hit sac flys? Nevermind the many extra times he'd get on base or the multiple home runs he'd add.

• 3 weeks later...

Since everyone wants to dump vargas and just to bump this thread since I hope Melvin at least contemplates picking him up.

Vargas and dillard and maybe another mid-low level prospect for renting Dunn for the world series run. Maybe even make a play for weathers while their at it.

Might hinge on if anyone will take jenks and/or mench I realize.

Our outfield D in left would suffer. But that's the breaks.

The brewers can use one more bat. Whether he Ks or doesn't sacrifice the runner in from 3rd should be the least of their concerns when you have one more thumper like him to worry about in the crew lineup.

Hart

Hardy

Fielder

Braun

Dunn

Hall

Estrada

weeks

Looks pretty tight. Would be a homerun derby as well.

Archived