Brewer Fanatic

What if McClung becomes a better choice than Suppan?

DonMoney4Mgr
If you want to follow conventional wisdom, DiFelice shouldn't even be in the Brewers organization. He was pitching in the Atlantic League at an advanced age. I think most people are afraid that Suppan exposed will be cover your eyes ugly.
Formerly AKA Pete

I think people forget the days of Jaime Navarro and Ruben Quevedo. Now those were bad starters. Suppan has had 6 straight seasons with an ERA under 5. We could do worse.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I think people forget the days of Jaime Navarro and Ruben Quevedo. Now those were bad starters. Suppan has had 6 straight seasons with an ERA under 5. We could do worse.

What they really forget is those were our #3 starters most years http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

DeFelice is supposedly working on developing a change up to go with his excellent cut fastball. Last year I saw one cut fastball after another. If he can develop other pitches he could be a nice option. If not I'd take McClung over Suppan. McClung proved late last year that he can perform relatively well in the clutch. It seems questionable as to whether Suppan can hold up for an entire season anymore.

I would not be surprised at all to see a big drop off from Suppan this year. Somewhere in the 6-12 area with 5+ERA and a batting average against in the .280 range if not higher. McClung would be a better option, but not by much long term.

If this all happens the team is headed for a sub .500 year. Add to it the possible collapse statistically by Kendall and Cameron there is the potential for a long season.

If this all happens the team is headed for a sub .500 year. Add to it the possible collapse statistically by Kendall and Cameron there is the potential for a long season.
And if Fielder and Hart have seasons like they did in 2007, and Hall close to 2006, it could be an incredibly awesome season.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I know it's just spring training, but Suppan pitched five shutout innings and allowed only one run in his most recent start. I know he won't do that all the time in the regular season, but hopefully he'll continue the trend and stay serviceable this year.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think people need to realize that there is no way anyone can tell short of Suppan losing more velocity that McClung would be better. They project the same. If Suppan has a bad April it doesn't mean McClung will be the better pitcher in May.

Sure if you just want to be pessimistic for no good reason I could see it. If a bunch of our guys collapse and nobody else improves we could have a bad team. We had a number of players underproduce expectations last year so there is no reason to think that this team is headed for sub .500.

Its just my impression, but McClung seems much more effective with the extra couple mph on his pitches when he relieves. He can pound some strikes and mix in his off speed pitch whereas when he starts his fastball is more hittable. Melvin made a remark about him (in the last WSSP interview I think) that I interpreted as he might get a shot at being the alternative closer when Hoffman can't go. At least to me that and some middle inning work seems like a better fit.

He's done well in some past starts but he seems like he can mentally melt down once in a while. Suppan with all his weaknesses is steady in his effort if not in his results.

As to the team being good or bad this year, it sure seems like it has potential and it would have the added bonus of Cubs and Cards blogs/forums have already decided that the team has no realistic chance.

Formerly AKA Pete

Suppan is just so much more stretched out than McClung. McClung has not pitched much more than 100 IP in recent years (he had two years of 150+ back in 2001 and 2002). He just doesn't have the innings in his arm to start for a whole season. Suppan on the other hand has been over 170 IP since 1999.

McClung and Suppan might be about the same, but even if McClung is slightly better, with a huge increase of his innings he is likely to tire and perform worse as the end of the season approaches.

• 4 weeks later...
Andersoc420[/b]]I think Soup will give us a few good outing this year and will continue to be who he is (4.50 era) nothing more, occasionally something less.
Wishful thinking.

I think what will be intriguing as this thing plays out is how they will replace him. No real proved guys on the roster or on the farm. The candidates; Defilice, McClung, Dillard, Green, or is Jeffries a possibility? If not, would they be willing to spend 5M to get Pedro. The Brewers have overspent on this team as a whole, whats another 5M?

McClung has a 6.00 era, Green and Jefferies need to stay in the minors barring a majority of injuries. Dillard is the only one of those who is a possibility i would say. As far as your reference to the previous poster. Its only been two starts. He could turn in 10 more excellent starts seeing as the season is 162 games long. How is it wishful thinking that he can't give us a few good outings. Jeez , settle down people. He looked bad last night and his performance was unacceptable but it was ONE game.

The pitching staff has been really bad so far. I think that they look like they are still in spring training mode shuffling guys in and out of there. I wonder if the new managers have as much knowledge of what has been going on with the development of the players in our system. With that said I think they could probably justify giving McClung a start or two to see if he can prove anything. As for guys at AAA my best guess would be Dillard who has a few games in the big leagues. Other than that Capuano could possibly have a miracle comeback. Outside of that I think we need to figure out the roles (maybe Hoffman being out threw everything off and it was just a bad week). Hopefully they can get some things going here soon. With some of these guys locked up for a few more years you would hate to potentially have a rebuilding year on the pitching staff and not make the post-season.

Archived