Brewer Fanatic

Corey Hart

I saw a Mariotti mention of Corey Hart as someone we could trade. It was the first time I've heard his name mentioned as a trade candidate, and I guess just wanted to throw the possibility out here to see if it's resoundingly rejected or gets a maybe.

I wouldn't trade him straight up for any bullpen guy or really even a starter because it'd be a big offensive drop in the lineup to have him replaced by Mench and Gwynn, but if we'd trade for a big-hitting outfielder, I think Hart would make sense.

Granted, trading Hart goes against what I would like to see, which is only trade lesser blocks to the team like Jenkins or Mench for some ok-level bullpen guy. and I'm not even sure that I'd like to see Jenkins gone.

This is just absolute freakin' stupidity. OF in one area where we don't have organizational strength, we have a huge dropoff behind Hart, have no more than one year left of Jenkins and Mench, and don't exactly have a situation where he's blocking Hunter Pence or anything.

Honestly, he's probably only behind Prince and tied with JJ as the hardest position player to replace from within the organization. We'd have to start Jenkins every day and have Gross and Mench platoon in the other corner. I cringed as I typed that.

The only way it's less than a moronic idea is if we're getting back another younger outfielder with years left who's a superior player but has to be salary dumped. The closest thing I could think of would be if Anaheim sucked and wanted to dump Vlad for Hart+.

Here's the quote:

The Buehrle deal must be a killer that yields dividends for years, whether it's getting loads of hot prospects from the Red Sox, a player like Corey Hart from the Brewers or promising goods from other interested teams. Jermaine Dye, too, should command a decent return. Same goes for Tadahito Iguchi, Scott Podsednik, Jose Contreras and others.

Wishful thinking, dude. Apparently, he hasn't been paying attention to the player rental market over the past few years.

Hart's a player about everyone would like to have: very productive, lots of promise, and cheap.

But read the quote carefully and you realize he's simply dreaming out loud. It's like us here on this board dreaming about getting Johan Santana, Dontrelle Willis, or Jake Peavy: nice idea, but serious pipe dream.

after I posted the Mariotti comment, I've seen Hart's name pop up a couple other places, so at least it's not solely Mariotti playing idiot wind.

maybe just to be argumentative, but with Hart we're talking about a trade-very-high move. Would he get Buherle? no, but I'm sure a great bullpen guy or a stronger rental outfielder. Then come next year, I'm sure we could find a mid-priced FA outfielder to take his place at around 80% of Hart's production.

though part of it is just playing devils advocate, I can't say I value Hart quite as highly as I would Weeks and Hardy, not as a matter of production (no argument against what Hart's done) but for the relative value of good SS and 2B prospects over corner outfield ones, if we can still consider all three prospects, since none of them have peaked yet.

I tend to agree end, though last I read there could be as many as 10 teams in the running to try and get him. so just based on an amount of competition, that's why I don't think Hart will be enough.

I'm not a huge Buherle fan and hope Melvin isn't blinded by his no-hitter. if Villy, Gallardo or even Vargas can do 80% of what Buherle could do on this team, then definitely Hart's not worth it (though i'm not a fan of trading prospects for rentals in the first place).

Corey Hart is better than Buehrle right now, and will continue to be in the future. Also, he is much, much cheaper and under a team's control for several years.

Buehrle is very good and perhaps he could fetch a guy like Hart. However, it will be a guy like Hart in AA or maybe AAA, not one who has been dominating the NL for the past month.

If a team wanted Corey, the time to get him was before he established himself. Now there is very, very little chance the Brewers deal him.

It's frustrating that boneheads like Mariotti can just throw names like Corey Hart out there as being available in return for a 3 month rental player.

I couldn't agree more with Joe about the type of player(s) the ChiSox should be seeking in a trade.

Buehrle is very good and perhaps he could fetch a guy like Hart. However, it will be a guy like Hart in AA or maybe AAA, not one who has been dominating the NL for the past month.

If a team wanted Corey, the time to get him was before he established himself. Now there is very, very little chance the Brewers deal him.

to what extent are we overvaluing Hart, though, just because the current month's memory is of him making jokes out of opposing pitchers?

obviously he's just awesome right now, and of course I hope it continues, but can we say he's playing a little over his head right now? I mean, to start the season most of us projected him around a 25/25 guy. Has that opinion drasticall changed based on one amazing month of play? If not, is the value of a cheap 25/25 Corner Outfielder really as high as "never trade him no matter what"? otherwise at what point does a player become established with the organization and no longer a possible trading piece vs. an upcoming AAAA guy?

to what extent are we overvaluing Hart, though, just because the current month's memory is of him making jokes out of opposing pitchers?

I don't think the board in general overvalues Hart. Many of us have been big fans from the early minor league days, while others have caught on more recently. I think that the current "never trade him at any cost" group is probably equal in size to the minority who once said Hart would never be an adequate major leaguer.

I think stating that "there's no way we trade him in the next few years because nobody will offer close to fair value" would be a much more realistic assessment of Hart's future.

Part of the problem is that Hart will tend to be undervalued by GMs at large because he is a Swiss-Army knife type player. He does a whole lot of things pretty well, but will never have that one eye popping stat to make you say exceptional. He's got the speed to lead-off the power to bat in an RBI spot. He's never going to be a league leader though in HR, batting average, on base or steals. He'll just be above average across the board.

In terms of his recent hot streak you've got him doing two things differently that make me think this is for real. Number 1 he has stated he is being more patient, and that was always one of his weaker points as an RBI guy he took a Carlo Lee like approach where he'd take walks the pitcher were giving him, but usually tried to hit 'em in. The result is an increased walk rate and a boost to his OBP. Secondly he is stealing more often again a function of leading off. That his steal total would go up is consistent with him having been a high percentage stealer in the minors, so that seems like a real expectation as well.

Other than that his batting average is maybe slightly higher than you'd expect based on minor league numbers, but his power for the season is perfectly in line with his historical performance.

Trading Hart is just about impossible. Based on his minor league numbers and what hes done so far in the majors, he could be as good as soriano, but more realistically, looks like a mike cameron type player. your not going to get a player the level of soriano for him because he is more than likely not that good. your not going to want a cameron type player, because he should be at least that good, and is ours and cheap for a long time. Perhaps this shouldnt even be looked at again for 4 more years. At that point, maybe I consider doing a deal, until then(barring the immergence of 2 perennial all star corner outfielders from our system) no thanx.

-Don

Amazing, Corey Hart went from struggling to almost untouchable, under our sitaution I would hesitate to deal him for just about anything, unless the Twins would make Santana available.

Congrats to CH, he has made himself into one heck of a player.

Our new "igniter"

Archived