Brewer Fanatic

Melvin goes back to his Texas roots again. Otsuka

Lofton and Otsuka would be a near perfect deadline acquisition...but it would take Gwynn and other fine prospects, without a doubt.

To clarify, I don't want Loften really, but Texas will need a replacement for him. Gwynn would be perfect. Solid prospect, huge name recognition, he's pretty much blocked for four years here.

Gwynn for Otsuka, I'm all for it, I'd even give a little more.

A little?

Texas may not even value Gwynn highly and Otsuka will be in fairly high demand.It's likely gonna take close to a blue chip prospect in return and that isn't Gwynn.

As Mothershipconnection pointed out earlier in the thread, Texas never commits to rebuilding, they'd likely want immediate help for far and awaythe worst rotation in baseball. They'd want Vargas. To even out salary, we could throw in Mench.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I really have a small hope that this might happen with Vargas and maybe a guy like Parra or Gwynn going to Texas for Otsuka. I think that is one of the big reasons that there has been no question of why he is staying in the rotation in front of Villanueva and Gallardo. I wouldn't mind Villanueva replacing him instead of Gallardo anyway, if the innings are that big of a deal. I think Vargas might be one of the guys dealt this trade deadline.

Quote:
I really have a small hope that this might happen with Vargas and maybe a guy like Parra or Gwynn going to Texas for Otsuka. I think that is one of the big reasons that there has been no question of why he is staying in the rotation in front of Villanueva and Gallardo. I wouldn't mind Villanueva replacing him instead of Gallardo anyway, if the innings are that big of a deal. I think Vargas might be one of the guys dealt this trade deadline.

Woe, Woe, Woe.

I am the one that started the thread 2 weeks ago and love the idea of adding Otsuka, But a competent starter with a 4.3 ERA AND a power lefty high ceiling prospect at AAA for a 35 year old reliever?

I don't know if I could give up that much for Otsuka

Community Moderator

I don't know if I could give up that much for Otsuka

Texas isn't going to give him away. You have to be willing to give in order to get.

Getting Otsuka would really help the pen going forward as well, considering that Cordero is very likely gone next year.

A little?

Texas may not even value Gwynn highly and Otsuka will be in fairly high demand.It's likely gonna take close to a blue chip prospect in return and that isn't Gwynn.

That's funny, when people were offering Parra for Otsuka I thought they weren't even close.

I certianly think Gwynn can be overrated as a prospect, but I think he can have a lot of value to the right team. Texas needs OFers, and they signed Lofton to a 1-year deal in the offseason, meaning they like that skill-set.

Quote:
Texas isn't going to give him away. You have to be willing to give in order to get.

Getting Otsuka would really help the pen going forward as well, considering that Cordero is very likely gone next year.

I know Texas isn't going to give Otsuka away, But in the same token the Brewers shouldn't give away their players either.

And I understand that Otsuka would really help going forward as well, that is why I brought up his name.

However Otsuka is 35 years old and a reliever that will probably pitch 70 innings a year and will likely be with the Brewers for only 2.5 more years.

If that is worth a 24 year old power lefty with a 1.29 ERA and in AAA and a 2.7 ERA in AA this year AND a 28 year old Major League starting pitcher that the Brewers still control for another year that is sporting a 4.3 ERA then I would tell Texas to go pound sand.

The Brewers got Cordero and Mench last year for a 2 month rental of Carlos Lee and draft pick compensation. And Mench was expected to be decent.

The Braves got Wickman for a High A ball catcher.

I would like to go after Otsuka but Melvin needs to know when the price is to high and when the price is Parra and Vargas it is definitely too high.

Archived