Brewer Fanatic

Melvin goes back to his Texas roots again. Otsuka

I look at this guy as the perfect pickup.

Arbitration eligible through 2009. An older pitcher that doesn't make a ton of money. I think he makes about a million this year.

He would be perfect for the pen this year and a possible replacement for Closer a year down the road.

He is 35 years old but has a 2.1 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP in the AL

I was thinking about something along the lines of Manny Parra. But I know some would say that is to much.

So what would you guys give up for him?

Quote:
I think Texas is probably going to keep Otsuka and trade Gagne.

It's a possibility that they keep one or maybe even both. But both have decent value and considering Texas is not going anywhere this year and both are on the wrong side of 30, I wouldn't be suprised if both are gone after the deadline.

I would bet that it is a around 50-50 that Otsuka would be gone after the deadline. I would think that he is more likely to get dealt than most of the players that are discussed around here regularly

I would bet that it is a around 50-50 that Otsuka would be gone after the deadline.

Its been rumored that Texas would deal both, as rebuilding teams don't need proven closers. They have a suprisingly deep bullpen for such a bad team. They recently sent down talented young Wes Littleton, simply because they didn't have room for him.

I love the idea of Otsuka. Texas is a super-tough place to pitch, his numbers could actually get better in Milwaukee, not that his career Texas 2.10 ERA there needs to.

Quote:
I was thinking about something along the lines of Manny Parra. But I know some would say that is to much.

Parra is the perfect kind of guy to deal, we know his medical history better than anyone, and Gord Ash doesn't see his future as a starter because of it. Texas is so desperate for starters they need to take chances on guys like Parra. It would take a package, including parra though, which is fine. We have depth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

This is the kind of thing that occasionally blows my mind. If we could get an all star caliber closer/set up man for a guy who has a good chance of never making it onto the big league club, who would not make this trade? If we are a contender right now, we'd pay a much steeper price to have the type of bullpen that would give us

This is the kind of thing that occasionally blows my mind. If we could get an all star caliber closer/set up man for a guy who has a good chance of never making it onto the big league club, who would not make this trade? If we are a contender right now, we'd pay a much steeper price to have the type of bullpen that would give us

This kind of stuff gets posted in the trade forum all the time. Either people think we can rob other teams or way over value Brewer prospects. I have yet to figure which one it is.

Quote:
And after your Sarfate offer,a dial tone would follow in .0001 seconds.

Exactly.

I think it would take a player like Parra to get Texas interested. Maybe some people think that is to much but we are talking about a proven reliever that has been pretty reliable over the past three years. Personally I don't know if it is enough.

I know we couldn't get him for Sarfate.

Parra has a lot of potential though, being lefty is another big plus along with the fact that he has been doing pretty well this year.

With that said it looks like we have a ton of young starters for the next couple of years (though you can never have enough) and the brewers are probably going to lose Cordero in the off-season leaving a hole at the closer position.

I am not a naive poster as surprisingly assumed by "youse" critics. I've followed the Braves and then the Brewers and their minor league teams for 50 years. I would offer Sarfate. I would not give up Parra, their best LH pitching prospect for a 35 year old bullpenner-Otsuka. Let Texas come back with a counter proposal.

On the one hand, there is no chance we steal him for Sarfate. At the same time I think I value Parra too highly to part with him for a relief pitcher.

Manny could still turn out to be a LH strating pitcher who can "bring it" in the mid-90's. That is a very valuable commodity that is not tossed away lightly. He may just end up as a lefty out of the pen, which is VERY valuable as well, just look at what you can get in trade at the deadline for them. Or he could wash out completely either from injury or ineffectiveness.

I just don't think now is the time to deal Parra. I like our pen in general. Could it be improved? Sure, but the cost of doing so is likely to be too high at this point in time. Maybe in a year or two if we are more sure that we have all the pieces you make a move like that. This year, I think we ride with what we have and see how it plays out.

Otsuka is every bit as good, if not better, than Franscisco Cordero. It took one of the best LFs in the game to get Cordero. It will take a significant amount to get Otsuka, but having a setup man with a 2 ERA would be huge for this team, as would filling the closer rolew for next year at a reasonable $ amount.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Quote:
Otsuka is every bit as good, if not better, than Franscisco Cordero. It took one of the best LFs in the game to get Cordero. It will take a significant amount to get Otsuka, but having a setup man with a 2 ERA would be huge for this team, as would filling the closer rolew for next year at a reasonable $ amount.

Let' not forget that it was only 2 months worth of that leftfielder and draft pick compensation that would come later and the Brewers got 1.5 years of Cordero and what was percieved to be a competent Left Fielder (Mench) in the trade.

I would assume that Parra in the deal would easily get the negotiations started. It might take a little more to get Otsuka but let's not forget Otsuka is 35 years old and Parra has 6 years of Major League Control left. That would be a huge part of the deal.

If Parra turns out it to be even an average starter I would think that it would be a good deal for Texas. If Parra can put it all together and stay Healthy it could be a steal for Texas. Then again Parra could get injured after one start and Texas could get burned.

All things to weigh out. However Texas would be willing to come to the table if we offered Parra

Does Texas really need to be rolling the dice with young pitchers? I understand that their dreams of DVD fell apart, as one piece of said combo was shipped for Brandon McCarthy, but I just don't see them attempting to acquire more unproven pitching quantities, even if it is decent quality. And while we may value Otsuka as a quality set-up man, it would seem to be a foregone conclusion that other organizations would have a higher value on the gent, as he could easily be slipped into their closer's role while we don't have that necessity.

If we are all so desperate for a playoff appearance, then why the hesitation to trade a prospect in Parra for a proven reliever who is downright dominating at times (Otsuka or Gagne)? If this is the reliever that pushes us over the top and gives us a much better chance for playoffs and winning a playoff series, I'm all for it.

Of course, I would not be trading a "top" prospect, like Jeffress or Inman, but "high-upside" prospects that Texas would be interested in, like Parra, Sarfate, and maybe Rottino would probably do it (a package of a couple prospects and Mench would be a shoo-in for Texas to accept, I'd think.)

What about any of Baltimore's relievers? They would likely be salary dumping (I'd think) at the trading deadline.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Of course, I would not be trading a "top" prospect, like Jeffress or Inman, but "high-upside" prospects that Texas would be interested in, like Parra, Sarfate, and maybe Rottino would probably do it (a package of a couple prospects and Mench would be a shoo-in for Texas to accept, I'd think.)

Parra or Sarfate would be a good starting point in talks. Texas is always going to be looking for pitching as it plays in a hitters park and will have to over pay to get pitchers to come there.

Not sure what interest they would have in Rottino unless they are looking getting 25 man kind of player for their roster. No real upside from him.

Quote:
Manny could still turn out to be a LH starting pitcher who can "bring it" in the mid-90's. That is a very valuable commodity that is not tossed away lightly.

Just thought some of you might want to revisit this topic in light of Monday's outing...

There seems to be something to the Otsuka rumors. From Adam McCalvy at Brewers.com

"Window shopping: Brewers general manager Doug Melvin would not comment on a report Tuesday by MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan that the Brewers are among six teams showing interest in right-handed Rangers reliever Akinori Otsuka.

Citing Major League officials, the report said the Brewers, Braves, Indians, Mets, Phillies and Tigers are looking into Otsuka, 35, who suffered a blown save Tuesday night but got the win when the Rangers rallied to beat the Tigers. Otsuka entered Wednesday with a 2.64 ERA and a .205 opponents' batting average in 32 appearances.

Melvin typically does not discuss specific players of interest, but did say the Brewers would look to add to their overall depth before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, particularly in the bullpen.

"That's what we have focused a little bit on, just because over the course of a year bullpens have a tendency to get overworked in today's game," Melvin said. "Baseball must be at an all-time low for complete games by starters, and because of that you're looking at 15 innings every five days if the starters go six innings. That's where depth comes in."

The Brewers have looked particularly at adding left-handed relief, "But I don't see that guy being available," Melvin said."

milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com...p&c_id=mil

I wonder if they would take Gwynn. Lofton is obviously only a temporary solution for them, I'd imagine they'd be interested in Tony.

Otsuka would be under contract through 2009, as he entered this season with 3 years of service time, correct?

Archived