Brewer Fanatic

Counsell ahead of Lamb in 3B depth chart

logan82

Link

The way Counsell sees it, there are two types of versatile players. Some are everyday players who happen to play different positions, and some are utility types who come off the bench.

At this stage of his career Counsell is in the latter category, though Macha did mention him Monday as being ahead of Lamb to start at third base against right-handed pitchers.
Hopefully Hall works out at 3B without a platoon.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Lamb the last 3 years - 2006 $7.4M, 2007 - $5.9M, 2008 -.6M. 3 year average - $4.2M

Counsell the last 3 years - 2006 $5.4M, 2007 $3.9M, 2008 $4.6M. 3 year average - $4.6M

Over the last 3 years counsell has been as valuable as Lamb and plays more postions. I just don't see where Lamb makes the team over McGehee personally.

Over the last 3 years counsell has been as valuable as Lamb and plays more postions. I just don't see where Lamb makes the team over McGehee personally.
Aaahhh! A voice of reason! Let's just hope that the powers that be see it the same way...

I'm glad Counsell is beating Lamb out, hopefully that will remove any reason to keep Lamb around. I'd rather not see Counsell get many starts at 3rd though. A .650-ish OPS from a corner spot is not intriguing, no matter how good the defense is.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If McGehee beats out Lamb, I'm rather neutral, but I REALLY hope this isn't a Counsell/Lamb decision... Counsell at SS is fine. Short doses of him at 2B or 3B is also OK. But any version of a platoon at 3B shouldn't involve Counsell.

If Lamb really looks like the 2008 model (.596 OPS), ok cut him. But in 2006-2007, he was a .825 OPS player. A hot ST doesn't make me rethink Counsell's .650 OPS bat (last three years) and expect that to change.

It really needs to be McGehee vs Lamb, not Counsell vs Lamb....

If McGehee beats out Lamb, I'm rather neutral, but I REALLY hope this isn't a Counsell/Lamb decision... Counsell at SS is fine. Short doses of him at 2B or 3B is also OK. But any version of a platoon at 3B shouldn't involve Counsell.

If Lamb really looks like the 2008 model (.596 OPS), ok cut him. But in 2006-2007, he was a .825 OPS player. A hot ST doesn't make me rethink Counsell's .650 OPS bat (last three years) and expect that to change.

It really needs to be McGehee vs Lamb, not Counsell vs Lamb....

Normally I would agree with you for lineups that need extra production... but given the makeup of what will be the Brewers lineup (the 2-6 hitters can put up runs quickly) ... any kind of production out of the 3rd base slot will be a bonus for me. If Bill Hall can become Bill Hall of once upon a time this is a moot point... cause he will be playing everyday... but Counsell had the 3rd highest OBP on the team last year behind Durham and Fielder... and if the guy can get on base, it really doesn't bother me how he does it.

If Counsell can go 1-3 with a walk or 0-2 with two walks consistently and help clear the pitcher spot the first few times through the order... I think that is helping the team, and often enough I'd rather have that than have Lamb go 2-4 with a HR and 2 RBI's and then go 0-4 two straight games.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

You never have enough production, never. Especially, since our offense underperformed last year (at least to expectations). And it will probably have to carry the team this year.

Hall should bounce back at least some (his ABs against RHP was pathetic last year), but I don't think we will see anything close to his '06 numbers again. There is a good chance that even improved, he won't hit RHP well this year.

You can make up stat lines that everyone agrees with, but it doesn't fit reality:
Career: OBP SLG OPS
Counsell .343 .344 .687
Lamb .333 .417 .751

Counsell is definatly the sure thing. But Lamb has the chance to be much better. Maybe Macha is seeing in camp in person (which I obviously can't) that Lamb doesnt' have "it" anymore. And last year is reality more than anomaly.

So personally, unless both McGehee and Lamb really stink it up at the plate (and having a real chance), I don't want to see Counsell at 3B. And even then, pull up Gamel.

Fair enough. I don't really have a problem with your opinion .. and I guess my whole "theory" is contingent on Bill Hall hitting off of lefties. If Hall puts up regular 3rd base power numbers against lefties ... then I can stomach, and even appreciate Counsell against righties. But I understand your side and would actually be excited to see Gamel get some regular at bats. I do agree our offense is going to have to step up this year if we are going to compete... we just need production from top to bottom and if that is Lamb or Counsell or Gamel or whomever ... I just want good at bats...

As I recall Doug was interested in keeping Branyan, just like he was with Kapler. Both thought they had more playing time with other teams.

I've always been a fan of Lamb and was kinda annoyed he didn't play more last Fall. But if he doesn't make the team it could hasten Gamel's arrival. Which is probably the best thing for the team.

I can see McGehee being this year's Dillon, starting out on the 25 man roster getting some pinch hitting a few games at 3B. But if Gamel it tearing up AAA and Hall is still struggling against righties look for Gamel to be called up sometime in late May-mid June.

Calling up Gamel to be a platoon player would be a waste of service time in my opinion.
Well as long as he's not a "super 2" player there's nothing wrong with working a guy into the lineup for half a year or so. But it's fine with me if he stays in AAA and they don't need him at 3rd this year.

TH's blog today says McGehee has played some 2B in the minors and Macha finds that interesting. He's actually only played 7 games at 2B in the minors. But he has caught 93 games and played first 32 games. So he does present intriguing options.

Archived