Brewer Fanatic

Sheets Watch III: Sheets training in Arlington?

Weirdos19

I personally have a problem with this.

Jon Daniels says there is no connection to the Rangers and Sheets, and that his training in Arlington is purely coincidental. I have a feeling that they are waiting for the deadline on first round compensation to sign Sheets. Not sure what the date is, but if Sheets signs with Texas after he gets healthy, I would file a complaint to the commisioner's office. Seems quite fishy to me.

--------------------

Moderator's Note: The old Sheets Watch Part 2 thread hadn't been posted to for about a month, so this will be the start of a new Sheets Watch. This topic is now included in the Designated Threads List.

Previous (locked) Sheets watch threads: Sheets watch; Sheets watch, Part 2.

--------------------

The big deal is that if Texas and Sheets have some sort of verbal agreement that he signs there after getting healthy, the Brewers should receive Texas' second round pick. Because their first round pick is protected. The Brewers would get a sandwich pick too.

If any agreement is made, verbal or written, there should be some compensation.

I believe it's pretty commonplace for a player to use a nearby team's facilities to work out--even if he's under contract to someone else. I wouldn't get too worked up at this point.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

If Sheets starts showing signs of being healthy in a few months, team will compete to sign him. That could easily forcea team to sign him before the draft. The Yankees would only give up there 4th rounder, which wouldn't deter them.That would be fine by me, as we'd also then get a quality sandwich pick.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Working on the assumption that "anything" is better than "nothing" I hope that someone signs Sheets so the Brewers get some sort of compensation. I sincerely hope this year's off-season has made more posters aware of the risks regarding compensation picks, that nothing is guaranteed, especially if the player you acquire gets injured. I love draft picks as much as the next person, I'm very into the minors, but there are no guarantees that the rental player will bring a greater return than his performance on the field. I know Sheet's wasn't a rental, but every time someone suggests a rental deal the draft picks are always part of the "upside" when there's a significant amount of risk to receive any compensation much less a 1st and a supplemental.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I know Sheet's wasn't a rental, but every time someone suggests a rental deal the draft picks are always part of the "upside" when there's a significant amount of risk to receive any compensation much less a 1st and a supplemental.

I agree with what you're saying. I just think Sheets' situation was rare. I think when discussing a trade for a Type A free agent we just have to be aware that it could very easily be a 2nd/3rd and a supplemental. It was also somewhat rare that the Yankees were the only team throwing around $$$. I know the Yankees go out and spend every off-season, but I don't think any team has really done what they did this off-season in comparison to what other teams did. In the future, I'll just hope for picks and if it's a first or second great...but a first is going to be more rare across the board.

Archived