Brewer Fanatic

Yankees trading Hughes?

According to this story from Yahoo, they are looking to move him for outfield/1st base/relief pitching help.

sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/mlb_experts/post/Five-and-Fly-Yankees-might-move-arms;_ylt=Al5HJl31xYqXHmRsj4do1kARvLYF?urn=mlb,37700

Would we be willing to trade either Hall or Hart for Hughes?

I would be willing to offer them:

Hall and Vargas (maybe even Capuano if they want) and Inman for Hughes.

Adding an arm like Hughes could set our rotation up for years to come:

Sheets

Hughes

Gallardo

Capuano

Suppan

Don't we have a ton of arms for the rotation as is that we can't find places for?

While Hughes could be a good talent, I can't see why trading a key piece of our young offense that has struggled to score runs quite a bit this year for a young pitcher helps the team in the near future.

People have been talking about trading Hart, trading Hall . . . I don't get it at all. We're set, possibly for years, at six positions. That's what you try to achieve, as an organization. I wouldn't trade any of those six guys unless I had an immediate strategy for restoring the position I was trading or unless the gain at another position -- the rotation, say -- was big and obvious. Hall plus prospects for a Jake Peavey? Sure, you figure out a way to shore up CF; but obviously nobody on the other side wants to make a deal like that. Hall for Hughes? Not even close. Our young regulars are simply worth more to us for the foreseeable future than they are to anyone else.

Now, Jenkins for Hughes . . . that might actually make sense for both teams, at least as the Yankees measure "sense." That deal, though, would run the risk of hurting the offense this year, so I think we would at least have to have a reasonable stopgap LF plan in mind.

Greg.

Yeah...Mench/Hall/Hart doesn't really cut it in the outfield at this point if you trade Jenkins. Maybe move Hall to left and call up Gwynn to play CF. You'd have to see if the Yankees would be willing to include an outfielder in any such trade as a replacement, otherwise.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Hughes looks like an absolute stud.

I've posted this before in another thread, but I'll post it again.

Our offense has actually been better than the 100 win Cardinals team from a few years ago. We don't struggle to score runs as much as we are led to believe, our offense is actually quite adequate. Where we fall way behind the 100 win Cardinals team is in our pitching rotation. That rotation had every single pitcher under a 4.25 ERA.

We currently have only one starter who fits that bill, and he's going to become a free agent after next season. As the popular slogan goes, offense wins games, but pitching wins championships. Adding another top of the rotation stud would go a long way in making us a more dominant team, even if we have to down grade from Hall to Gwynn in center.

A rotation of:

Sheets

Hughes

Gallardo

Capuano

Suppan/Villenueva

Would be much more competitive than running out:

Sheets

Gallardo

Capuano

Villenueva

Suppan

When you get a chance at a young pre-arby stud pitcher, I think you have to try and get him, even if starting pitching is a perceived strength.

Edit: Although if the Yankees would be willing to take Jenkins instead of Hall, then that definitely is a trade that you have to make. I just don't see them being that stupid, even if they are the Yankees.

Well we heard from the Yankees for like, ten minutes that Hughes was untradeable. This is kind of funny. I hope they trade him away in attempt to make a playoff run, because their chances are pretty darn low.

Why would they consider trading Hughes for Jenkins? That's just pie-in-the-sky silly. Hughes is very unlikely to go anywhere, and if he does move, it'll be in a package that includes a talent of ARod or Pujols magnitude, not Jenkins, a solid veteran player.

Yankees are not going to move Hughes unless they get a boat load back. Talk of Jenks is crazy he would not even be a starter in their OF.

Hart and Hall would be better options in that Hall could move to 3B if A-Rod leaves after the season. Hart could take over CF next year if the get rid of Damon. I would be upset though if the Brewers traded weither away this season as they are key parts to this division winning team.

I disagree with the statement that the Yankees management is terrible - as a blanket statement. I think Cashman is one of the best GM's out there. The Boss demands immediate success. That means signing free agents and trading away prospects. The revenue sharing has greatly diminished their former way of doing business. Pitchers like Ben Sheets, Aaron Harang, Gil Meche all were able to sign with small market teams, where as before the Yankees would just step in and take them. Now the only veteran players that are available to them are underperforming bad contracts like Abreu. Teams feel they can sign their some of their best players and aren't pressed to trade with the same urgency as before(Carlos Lee not withstanding). Over the past year, Cashman has quietly and quickly built up their minor leagues, putting together a pretty good stable of top quality minor league pitchers.

But they also have Joba Chamberlain and Ian Kennedy (a personal fave) whipping through the minors, putting pressure on the current geriatrics in their rotation. I, personally, think that the Moose will be their next year, and Pettitte would be crazy to turn down his player option. Beyond that, they also have money tied up in Igawa and I could see them again attempting to get Clemens to pitch for them, perhaps even beginning the year with his crony, Andy, in the rotation. Unfortunately, I would think that the one position they would trade Hughes for is a hot sacker, to alleviate the concerns associated with losing the top paid position player in the majors. And, to be honest, while a trade for Braun would seem to be quite fair for both sides, I am going to take the Hebrew Hammer 8 days a week.

Why would they consider trading Hughes for Jenkins? That's just pie-in-the-sky silly. Hughes is very unlikely to go anywhere, and if he does move, it'll be in a package that includes a talent of ARod or Pujols magnitude, not Jenkins, a solid veteran player.

Do you really consider Hughes that valuable, or are you offering a different assessment of how valuable you believe the Yankees consider him? Either way, while I won't try to match your characteristic flair for gratuitous name-calling, I'd say the exchange of "a talent of ARod or Pujols magnitude" for a pitching prospect, no matter how promising, is every bit as unlikely as the Yanks' undervaluing Hughes to the tune of Jenkins. When, exactly, was the last time any hitter of that quality was traded for anything, let alone a 21 year-old pitching prospect with two MLB starts who's stuck on the DL? I mean, heck, at that exchange rate, Will Inman should at least net us Derrek Lee or somebody.

The reason for some of the divergent and fanciful takes on the Hughes rumor -- more plausible, I humbly submit, than "pie-in-the-sky sill[iness]" on the part of us mortals in the peanut gallery -- is that the rumor is unusually hard to understand. I don't get how the Yankees would think they could benefit by trading Phil Hughes. They aren't going to the playoffs this year; they need pitching for the future; and if he is as good as advertised, they won't get value until he has shown more at the big league level, which requires, you know, getting him off the DL . . . it's just weird, IMHO.

Greg.

To be fair, one of his two starts at the ML-level was of the no-hit variety. When was the last time a 21 year-old rookie threw a no-hitter? I know he didn't finish what he started but in his second start? As I said earlier, I would imagine the only reason he is available is to supplement the inferred loss of A-Rod this off-season. And I sincerely doubt Jenkins would be compensation enough (as they would probably see it as a salary dump on our part). If any of our OFers are going to net us Hughes, it would be Hart, though I would love to take on Abreu and Hughes for Hart and a handful of cash.

Archived