Brewer Fanatic

Eastbound & Down

SeriesFinale

Anyone else watching this? It's the new Danny McBride (the guy from The Foot Fist Way, he's also been in Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder) vehicle on HBO, six half-hour episodes about a washed-up baseball pitcher with a gargantuan ego and set of opinions who's forced to teach middle school back in his hometown.

Pretty dumb, pretty dark, and pretty funny.

This show is really funny. I'd consider it more crude than dark humor. It's a great compliment to Flight of the Conchords and Big Love on the best night of TV. Sad to hear that it's only a six episode season.

He reminds me of Mitch Williams meets David Wells, but his pitching mechanics are absolutely horrible and hilarious.

I thought it was funny though the first couple episodes but then it seemed to drag out and I was bored by the third and fourth episode. Maybe its because I watch all the four episodes back to back on demand, but I haven't been a fan of a lot of Will Farrel's more recent movies and this show is a lot like those. I don't think it is nearly as funny or well thought out as Entourage, Flight of the Concords or even Summer Heights High.

I don't know, I've found it a good mix of "jokey" kinda of material like Farrell's, but grounded a little more in reality...I think the show's actually gotten much better since the first one as it's gotten a little darker dealing with Powers' issues.

Anyway, it's hard for me to compare it to the other HBO comedies; talk about your apples and oranges!

I love this show! Oddly enough, it makes me think of Turnbow. I don't know that DBow is a prick, but he is definitely a wild and super-powerful pitcher who is now most likely done with his career.

(Edit: "pr*ck." Please don't circumvent the cuss filter. However, in this case, "prick" is OK. --1992)

Archived