Brewer Fanatic

TTM (through the mail) Autographed Cards (Trade or info on how to get)

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bikeage - nice to see a Scooter came back....my photo hasn't. Haha. still 2/9 w/ brewers ST (technically 3/11) since I got Dave Roberts on an 8x10 of "the steal" via Padres St

"Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is." - Bob Feller

Follow me @BrewerMoose

[sarcasm][/sarcasm]

How about Wang, any information on his return rate?

1/1 2014 spring training

0/6 2015 spring training

no attempts during the season

Thanks, I think I might give it a try and see what happens... I have some cool photos I took when he was with the T-Rats last season...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'm part of that 0/6 on Wang. I got him on a ticket stub signed from him last year. I found he had a Donruss card, so I got that immediately, and hoped to get it signed at a T-Rats game (I think I contacted you about trying for me Turbo), but he was already in Brevard county. Really thought I'd be able to get him from Spring Training. Guess not.

Bikeage - nice to see a Scooter came back....my photo hasn't. Haha. still 2/9 w/ brewers ST (technically 3/11) since I got Dave Roberts on an 8x10 of "the steal" via Padres St

That Dave Roberts piece is a nice one. Probably the most famous stolen base ever.

Right now I'm 9/23. I wrote to a handful of coaches, or my percentage would be much less.

I just went through the list of cards I have to see how many of them have started signing again, their new address showed up, began coaching, etc. I have 15-20 more letters to write, taking a chance at 2-3.

When I get through all these there's a buncha cards I'm gonna get from COMC.com and really get going.

I'm at about 180 returns. After this next huge crop I might have to start scouring eBay.

I'm part of that 0/6 on Wang. I got him on a ticket stub signed from him last year. I found he had a Donruss card, so I got that immediately, and hoped to get it signed at a T-Rats game (I think I contacted you about trying for me Turbo), but he was already in Brevard county. Really thought I'd be able to get him from Spring Training. Guess not.

This won't help you now but I got Wang's autograph in a very interesting way. Last year my wife surprised me by sending letters to the Brewers and asking them to sign birthday cards for my 40th birthday. She ended up getting 28 players and all the announcers tv and radio, most of the coaches, manager, GM, and the owner to reply. It was really crazy opening all those letters. Anyway I was going through her stuff and found more blank cards and thought since I had so many autographs from last years players it might be cool to try to complete the 2014 team so I sent a bunch out in Spring training and was 1/6....but 2/7 if you count Wang which I got in a round-about way. I was at spring training and I was talking to Tim Dillard for a while down on the minor league fields and one of the things he told me was that his locker was next to Wang's. I started thinking about Wang not answering the autograph request and thought maybe it was a language barrier so when I got home I wrote Tim Dillard a letter and told him about the birthday cards and asked him if he could get Wang to sign it for me which he did. Tim remembered talking to me and included a real nice letter. Wang wrote happy birthday and then his signature in Taiwanese and it looks awesome.

Dean,

That's a pretty cool story. Tim Dilliard is a a great guy. I follow him on twitter and have messaged back and forth with him. When he signed my card through the mail he wrote me a pretty great letter. I had asked him who the toughest hitter he's faced was and he replied "Yadier Molina, I think he's 6 for 5 off me." Ha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Jimmy Nelson on a Futures Game 8x10 and Cecil Cooper (personalized) back on an 8x10 in the past month.

"Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is." - Bob Feller

Follow me @BrewerMoose

I kinda got tired of writing to Brewers (though I still am), and wanted to pick up a new project...I've been writing to players of all sports who have been parts of historic games, plays, feats, etc. I've gotten about 20 or so back. I'll post em sometime soon.

In response to the issue of the new shiny cards being crap for autos, try rubbing a little baby powder on them before you send them. It removes the gloss, and gives it a better texture to sign, without really affecting the overall look of the card. Practice on some garbage cards.

To go right along with rwa's tip, got Lucroy back, the entire signature was pressed on the envelope, came RIGHT off the card. No sign that Lucroy ever signed it, except that it's on the envelope. Heh.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been seeing on SC.net where a lot of the most recent Lucroy's could be a stamp. On a better note- got Michael Blazek back on an 8x10. Very cool sig in Gold. The Auto really pops!

Follow me @BrewerMoose

Using a stamp is pretty lame...What a waste of everyone's time.

If a player starts doing that, my opinion of them would change quite a bit. That is prima donna nonsense in my opinion.

I'd rather get the item back unsigned than have it ruined with a stupid stamp.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• 3 weeks later...
I agree on the stamp thing. I don't send out many cards- usually only photos (8x10s and 11x14s). I've gotten Luc a few times on photos including during ST this year. The auto lines up pretty good to my paid and certified examples. Not sure if a PR person is doing the stamps?

Follow me @BrewerMoose

Guess I forgot to post this on here, but I got Cecil Cooper back not too long ago via his home in Texas. Signed a photo from 1982 for me. Personalized, but I still like it.

Follow me @BrewerMoose

Not Brewers, but got Roger Bannister on two index cards back today. For those that can't place his name, he was the first person ever to break the 4 minute mile. Pretty excited to get it back, as he's pretty old and actually stopped signing right after I sent mine out. He even included "3 59.4"

The book "The Perfect Mile" by Neil Bascomb is excellent if you are all interested in that 4:00 minute mile quest.

As for Lucroy and the stamp I got back a card (Topps 2014) and it was completely smeared and almost totally on the envelope but other players who signed cards from the same set were fine so if it was a stamp that would explain the complete smearing. Disappointing. I would rather receive no reply than a stamp. At the very least a little letter like Yount sends explaining he can't sign that many cards.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
So far I've received Jimmy Nelson, Ariel Pena, Domingo Santana, and Scooter Gennett back from Spring Training. All on 8x10 or 11x14 photos.

Follow me @BrewerMoose

• 2 weeks later...
Recently added (former) Brewer Logan Schafer via the Nationals, Zach Davies, and Taylor Jungmann.

Follow me @BrewerMoose

Archived