Brewer Fanatic

if the cubs or cards pick someone up...

Not sure if this has been talked about anywhere else, if it has I'm sorry and I suck at life..but..

if the Cubs and Cards pick up someone pretty significant do the Brewers then have to pick someone up to counter that? . Say the Cards picked up Buehrle and the Cubs picked up Griffey both of those teams then just got a lot better. I would hope the Brewers would counter by making a big move themselves. any thoughts?

Well, it's not really a chess match...regardless of who the Cards or Cubs or whoever pick up I'd like to see the Crew get another pen arm, and if possible get a bigger OF bat, but I hope and assume Melvin doesn't play "keeping up with the Joneses"

I would say calling up Braun and Gallardo is all the improvement we really need this year. Maybe trading for some relief wouldn't hurt, but I doubt we'll make a huge move before the deadline, regardless of what the other teams in the division do.

If Cappy comes back healthy and pitches well, and Gallardo gets moved into Capellan/Spurling's role in the pen, that's basically the same as adding a solid reliever via trade anyway.

If anything, Milwaukee could use another/different left handed reliever that can do a bit more than occasionally get a left handed hitter to line out to center.

--------------------------

The Cubs or Cardinals would be picking someone up to try to keep up with the Brewers, not vice versa. I don't think what those teams do has any effect on the Brewers roster. The Brewers might make a move, but it won't be caused by the move of another team in the division.

reiterating the point for emphasis: The Brewers calling up Braun has been the equivalent of trading for an MVP caliber player to replace a 4A ballplayer. Now Braun may slide back some, but that move right there has made the June Brewers way better talent wise then the April Brewers. There are very few players available as good as Braun is to even give the other teams a chance to upgrade as much as we did.

We are pretty much where we can be as far as big moves, other than in the bullpen. Maybe acquiring another middle-late innings reliever (preferably LH) would be the best upgrade we could make.

Could we upgrade LF? Probably. Would it be beneficial to us to mortgage the future for another 50 points of OPS this year? Probably not. We could always get a better PH than Gabe Gross, but it would have to be a veteran guy who wouldn't care he never gets PT.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Community Moderator

Would it be beneficial to us to mortgage the future for another 50 points of OPS this year?

I think this is an exaggeration, as trading spare parts like Gwynn, Jackson, Sarfate, etc isn't even close to mortgaging the future, as there's arguably no place for them to contribute anyway.

Quote:
I think this is an exaggeration, as trading spare parts like Gwynn, Jackson, Sarfate, etc isn't even close to mortgaging the future, as there's arguably no place for them to contribute anyway.

And I think it is an exageration to think that Gwynn, Jackson, Sarfate, Etc. could be the main pieces to anything that would remotely upgrade the current team.

Community Moderator

And I think it is an exageration to think that Gwynn, Jackson, Sarfate, Etc. could be the main pieces to anything that would remotely upgrade the current team.

Well, then we disagree on the correct usage of the word exaggeration, but I think it's likely that pieces from the major league roster would have to be included as well.

Quote:
Would it be beneficial to us to mortgage the future for another 50 points of OPS this year?

Quote:

When I made that statement, I was thinking about the many threads dedicated to talk of acquiring an Adam Dunn type, and I doubt Gwynn, Jackson, Sarfate, etc. would net a Dunn type. I was more talking about the other prospects people seem to be high on having to be traded to upgrade. I wouldn't mind seeing Gwynn, Jackson, or Sarfate sent away to upgrade the current roster.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived