Brewer Fanatic

Dewan's Top 10 Projected Hitters for 2009 (Braun is tied for 3rd!)

kramnoj

Here is the list of the Top 10 Projected Hitters per John Dewan, owner of Baseball Info Solutions.

Hitter Age 2009 Team Runs Created

Albert Pujols 29 Cardinals 159

Miguel Cabrera 26 Tigers 135

Ryan Braun 25 Brewers 134

David Wright 26 Mets 134

Josh Hamilton 28 Rangers 131

Hanley Ramirez 25 Marlins 131

Ryan Howard 29 Phillies 130

Mark Teixeira 29 Yankees 130

Alex Rodriguez 33 Yankees 128

Lance Berkman 33 Astros 127

That's a pretty amazing projection for Braun. Basically it has him being about 90% as good as his rookie season over a full season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What's even more amazing is that A-Rod will be able to get those numbers in half a season!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Manny had a great year last year, but in the previous 3 years his RC total would not have made that top 10 (at 126 a couple of years, it would have just missed). Combine that with age regression at 37, I would guess that's why he must have missed the list.

Yeah...I'm kind of surprised to see Berkman at #10. I guess maybe I don't pay attention enough because he plays for a mediocre team, but I just don't tend to think of him as an elite hitter.

His OBP has been over .400 in 7 of the last 8 years and his OPS has been .896 or better every year since his rookie year including 3 years of over 1.000 and 6 of .949 or higher. Berkman is most definitely an elite guy.

Berkman is interesting. His OPS is listed as 6th among active players at bref, but Bonds and Thomas are ahead of him and don't have a contract right now, so he's really 4th. One problem he has is that he walks 90+ times a year, so it's tough for him to rack up the more impressive counting stats. He's a career .302 hitter, but has never had 200 hits in a season. He's got a career slugging of .560 but he's only hit 40+ HR twice. He's got HoF talent or very near it, but becoming a starter at 25 will probably prevent him from getting the numbers he'll need to get consideration.

Archived