Brewer Fanatic

Manny Parra

Parra obviously has made himself into a big prospect now but with his history, do we trade this guy? if so what can he bring us via trade or do we plug him into the rotation in 09 and hope his injury history is behind him?

My vote is to keep him. Future rotation maybe in 09.........

Gallardo

Villanueva

Parra

Capuano/Bush

Suppan

I know i know I know about Sheets missing, I'm hoping with a playoff appearance this year he will resign but based on the contract Buehrle is talking about, it will tough for the Brew!!!

I think keep him for now. You at least have to bring him up to the MLB level to get him playing time. It would only increase his trade value.

I do think your proposed rotation could be the one of the future, though I get the feeling Villanueva will get traded eventually, sooner than later, since Melvin has shown he's willing to trade relievers for needed pieces and replace them easily.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

With pitchers the challenge is for them to retain effectiveness when they get hurt Parra has done that and avoided any career ending injuries has in many ways a better prospect now then 3 years ago.

I would hate to give up ANY of our top prospects to make us better, we're pretty good right now!! it would just make me sick if Parra would go on to have a 15 win season somewhere else. My vote is to keep all of the big prospects and just keep the pipeline flowing. Because of high draft picks and the Brew nailing alot of the picks is the reason why we're in the position we are today!!!!

Community Moderator

The problem though, KCbrewerfan, is that a lot of the prospects we have in the upper minors have no place to go. What do we do with guys like Sarfate or Jackson? There's simply no place in the rotation for them in the near future. How does Gwynn fit into a very crowded OF?

Guys like that are all spare parts. Parra could potentially fit in somewhere, but it's not necessary that he does so. If they resign Sheets, I don't see where Parra would fit into the rotation plans. We're in a position to compete, it's time to use some of the spare parts to improve the team.

I agree with Peavey. You can't hold onto all your cards forever. Sometimes you have to trade out some of those chips in order to win now. The Brewers are at that point. Really, I think all the Brewers top prospects are up at this point. I don't think trading a Parra or Gwynn for something to help the Brewers down the stretch this season would be that horrible at this point. If the Brewers make a trade, end up winning the World Series this year, and the guy they traded goes on to be the next Cy Young, I wouldn't really care at this point.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Let me clarify Peavey, I'm all for trading prospects but not the ones that have alot of upside: Parra, Jeffress, Inman, Laporta (when they can trade him) and probably a few other guys.

I'm not sure how much of an upside Gwynn, Sarfate, Jackson and some of the other guys have, so those guys I would definitely deal for a good bullpen arm etc... Hopefully DM can keep some of the top guys out of the deals. Ash on the radio yesterday said he expects the Brewers to be pretty active, he specifically mentioned bullpen help

Re-signing Sheets will be a big if, let's hope it happens.

GO BREW!!!!

though I get the feeling Villanueva will get traded eventually, sooner than later, since Melvin has shown he's willing to trade relievers for needed pieces and replace them easily.

Villy isn't viewed as a reliever. He's viewed as a starter who's currently in a relief role, the same as Yo will be when Cappy comes back. I don't see him going anywhere.

I also don't see anywhere to improve the club this year except a better right handed partner for Jenks and the bullpen. Yo's the improvement in 1 1/2 months in the rotation. I wouldn't trade Manny except in a really good deal at this point but certainly would trade Jackson, Gwynn, Sarfate, pretty much anyone at AAA or AA. It would have to be a really good deal to trade Manny, Palmisano and Inman IMO.

Community Moderator

Let me clarify Peavey, I'm all for trading prospects but not the ones that have alot of upside: Parra, Jeffress, Inman, Laporta (when they can trade him) and probably a few other guys.

Fair enough, but I don't think anyone is really talking about trading Jeffress or Inman, and LaPorta can't be traded until next year. Parra is the one that is possible. I'd say parting with one of the 'top' guys is no big deal, especially since he's riding with high value from the Perfecto and has a significant injury history. Yes, it'd stink to see him win 15 with say Texas in 2009, but if it gets us to the WS this year, I think I can deal with it.

Quote:
I get the feeling Villanueva will get traded eventually, sooner than later, since Melvin has shown he's willing to trade relievers for needed pieces and replace them easily.

I hope this isn't the case. Villanueva is the first young Brewer pitcher since Sheets who has actually come up and been effective. Plus, he's been a lot more than effective, he's been excellent. He's under control for 5 more years and is likely as good as Suppan is right now. At Suppan's rate, that's worth $50+ million. I don't see how they could get equal value.

I'm officially now in the "do nothing" camp - the lefties we would like to have in the pen may already, operative word may, be in the minors in Thatcher and/or Parra, and any big-bat OFer or starter is going to cost way too much in prospects at this point. Sorry, peavey, but I'd just as soon keep guys like Parra, at least until the offseason, when DM can likely get more for them.

If somebody wants to give us another pen lefty for some of the guys mentioned, guys like Sarfate, Jackson or Gwynn, then I'd have some interest, but they are the "blocked" guys, not the others mentioned here.

though I get the feeling Villanueva will get traded eventually, sooner than later, since Melvin has shown he's willing to trade relievers for needed pieces and replace them easily.

Yea...I couldn't disagree with this more. Carlos is part of our long term plans for sure.

I think the real question here in the short term is if the bullpen help Parra can bring back is better than the help he will provide in a late season callup.

The only real trade I can see this team making would be if Parra was included with some other good prospects (Gwynn, Jackson, some lower level guys) for a big time releaver (Texas has a couple).

Otherwise, just bring up Parra and maybe Thatcher to pitch with Villy and Yo...all of a sudden thats a pretty good bullpen going into the playoffs with Turnbow and Coco still at the backend.

I would be disappointed to see Parra go. The Crew currently has roster spots for Spurling, Shouse, Bush, and Vargas. We've been saying all year they could use another middle reliever, and Parra seems perfect for that role. Parra improves the roster and his injury means his trade value isnt anything special.

Parra is the one that is possible. I'd say parting with one of the 'top' guys is no big deal, especially since he's riding with high value from the Perfecto and has a significant injury history. Yes, it'd stink to see him win 15 with say Texas in 2009, but if it gets us to the WS this year, I think I can deal with it.

I see your point, and when you put it that way it sounds like a no-brainer; but you're talking as if all the risk is in one direction. A lot of pitchers with significant injury histories do get injured again, but a lot of others -- Capuano is one example -- get healthy and contribute a lot. In addition, it would be a rare trade that brought us the last piece to a championship (whatever we assume that piece may be) for Manny Parra. I'll deal Parra or anyone else if somebody overpays like crazy, but I can't really imagine what that trade looks like. Adam Dunn? Maybe; I'm not sure even he would make a big enough difference to justify paying Parra as three months' rent.

The case for being very reluctant to trade Parra begins with the fact that he's now no worse than eighth on the Brewers' SP depth chart, assuming you consider Villanueva a prospective starter. The more I think about it, given what can happen to SPs -- even if we do resign Sheets -- and given the fact that good SPs (especially lefties) are probably the hardest thing to find in baseball, I am very reluctant to start calling Parra a "spare part" and treating him as presumptively available in a trade.

Greg.

Quote:
The problem though, KCbrewerfan, is that a lot of the prospects we have in the upper minors have no place to go. What do we do with guys like Sarfate or Jackson? There's simply no place in the rotation for them in the near future. How does Gwynn fit into a very crowded OF?

Personally, I think if we trade any of our blocked players we should move the other way.

I don't see how Jackson, Sarfate or even Gwynn will ever help this team. I also don't think they are going to be part of a trade the will significantly upgrade this team either.

I think if you trade any of those players you trade them to a team willing to give up a young A player with upside. That way you keep the pipeline stocked for when some of our current young player inevitably walk.

Quote:
Personally, I think if we trade any of our blocked players we should move the other way.

I don't see how Jackson, Sarfate or even Gwynn will ever help this team. I also don't think they are going to be part of a trade the will significantly upgrade this team either.

I think if you trade any of those players you trade them to a team willing to give up a young A player with upside. That way you keep the pipeline stocked for when some of our current young player inevitably walk.

I couldn't agree with this more.

However I think Melvin will wait till the off-season to find such players.

Maybe he can find a Villanueva type for Jackson, Sarfate or Rottino.

That is part of the reason I really liked the Cappellan trade of today, although I wish the guy was a little younger.

Community Moderator

A lot of pitchers with significant injury histories do get injured again, but a lot of others -- Capuano is one example -- get healthy and contribute a lot.

That is a great point. My main reasoning however is that players with significant injury histories are considerably more likely to have problems going forward than those that have been healthy. Any time a pitcher has elbow or shoulder issues, its a huge deal. Obviously as you mentioned though, it doesn't mean all of them are going to be oft-injured going forward.

Adam Dunn? Maybe; I'm not sure even he would make a big enough difference to justify paying Parra as three months' rent.

Dunn would be a year and three months rental, as he has an option for 2008. Just for the record.

Thanks for the correction on Dunn -- that definitely makes a difference, assuming we could/would pay the option. Your general point about pitchers' injury history is right, of course . . . I'm just not sure how to quantify the risk in any given case. On a related point, Inman was hurt at the end of his HS career, right? IIRC, that was one reason we were able to nab him. I'd like to know more about how to set the odds on pitchers, given the timing, nature, and severity of their injuries.

Greg.

Archived