Brewer Fanatic

Gagne unlikely to make the team... Latest: Eric is released (reply #15)

I enjoyed the first comment in the blog entry:

I'll give him my opinion.

He S ucks!!! At least we can't complain this year that he's hosing us for 10 million.

That's some serious prose right there.

That caught my eye too. Pretty funny.

I was pulling for Gagne to make the team, so this is disappointing. I guess we're lucky these problems arose before the deadline, though. If he opts for surgery it looks like he'll miss the entire season which makes me wonder if he'll try again next spring on a similar contract with a deadline.

I wonder if Gagne will take a minor league contract this year if he is able to come back. It sounds like in the article that Gagne can take a minor league deal if he is not on the 40 man roster. Not something Boras would advise Gagne on doing but it would be better than nothing.

yeah its disappointing because he really came on the end of last year and i doubt we would of made the playoffs without him. I always knew if gagne was going to make it it would mean they would eat julio's 1 million which seemed unlikely to me. Hopefully morlan or julio steps up for the final pen spot.

Looking back to 2/20, Melvin said:

"If Gagne goes out and pitches real well, we could say, 'Hey, there's enough experience in the bullpen that would could carry a Rule 5 draft pick."

"If Eric doesn't pitch well, maybe we need to get another experienced pitcher and we can't keep (Morlan). It could work either way."

So I could see us making another move. Or at the least, as said, Julio's chances of making the club over Morlan get a nice boost if the FO still has this attitude.

EDIT: Which sucks.

yeah its disappointing because he really came on the end of last year and i doubt we would of made the playoffs without him. I always knew if gagne was going to make it it would mean they would eat julio's 1 million which seemed unlikely to me. Hopefully morlan or julio steps up for the final pen spot.

I thought that Julio's contract was non-guaranteed, meaning that if he doesn't make the club, we're not on the hook for his salary. I also was under the impression that since we signed Coffey to a FA major league deal, that we are on the hook for his salary. Anyone know the details?

CheezWizHed says that Julio's contract isn't guaranteed. I'm not finding anything on Coffey.

Being guaranteed or non-guaranteed isn't directly tied to arby or free agency, though. It's based on what's agreed upon in each case by the player and the team.

In the case of a non-guaranteed contract, 1 month is always guaranteed; a player gets that if he's released at any point up to the middle of spring training. 90 days are guaranteed if the player is let go in the second half of spring training. The full contract is guaranteed on Opening Day.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Hopefully it means we keep a better overall pitcher like Morlan, Dillard or DiFelice. He still might pitch for us too when he gets healthy. Here's a quote from Gord Ash:

"There was no animosity involved," said Ash. "This was the best course of action for both sides. When he's ready to pitch again, maybe we'll look at him. He has said that when healthy he would like to pitch for us."

I think we could have a deep bullpen, even if it lacks an overpowering reliever. I sure hope we don't need Gagne later in the year. If we need a reliever later in the season Omar Aguilara could become an exciting option. He has gotten opportunities in spring so far, and continues to be better than Morlan, just as he was in the minors. Dillard has just as good as stuff as Morlan too, and was also better in the minors last year. I don't see Morlan as a candidate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I thought Morlan had a mid-high 90's FB while Dillard works primarily with a low-90's sinker, so wouldn't their "stuff" be comparing apples to oranges? I continue to hope to see Morlan in the bullpen. Arms like his aren't very plentiful in our system. I could see him blossoming into a Carlos Marmol-type.

As for Gagne, I always hoped to see him put his ghosts to rest once and for all in Milwaukee. He deserved as much. Instead, I guess I'll simply hope he has success for an AL team....until he blows up in the WS vs. the Brewz.

I thought Morlan had a mid-high 90's FB while Dillard works primarily with a low-90's sinker, so wouldn't their "stuff" be comparing apples to oranges?
That was the stuff Morlan had a few years ago before letting his conditioning go. Now he is 92-94 like Dillard, just without the results.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

MLB trade rumors quotes Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune that Gagne had earlier turned down a $3 million guaranteed deal from the Twins. Earlier they had quoted Gord Ash as saying "there was no animosity...and that if his health improved they would consider signing him to a deal in the future".

I'm pulling for him to make it back someday.

• 2 months later...

Archived