Brewer Fanatic

Former Brewer Chris Spurling Arrested

Mass Haas

But seriously, we don't know any of the details and he should be innocent until proven guilty. It's his ex-wife so obviously they aren't on the greatest of terms. I've heard pleanty of stories of the woman making something up.

But seriously, we don't know any of the details and he should be innocent until proven guilty. It's his ex-wife so obviously they aren't on the greatest of terms. I've heard pleanty of stories of the woman making something up.
He is innocent until proven guilty, in a court of law.

However, to even suggest that she's making it up based on your personal history of hearing stories is pretty lame, in my opinion. Domestic violence is a serious matter and should be treated as such. Especially when children are involved.

Should he be found guilty I hope he gets the most severe punishment possible. There is no excuse. I hope he's innocent, and if so, can get past this and get on with his life.

I didn't suggest that she was making it up. All I said is that he should be innocent until proven guilty. I read the story and he denies the allegations. So he suggests that she is making it up. If you hope he's innocent, what would that mean she did? The police don't call themselves. She alleged that he threw her down. I should have taken a minute or two longer to explain that reading the messages posted under the story on that web site, there were a lot of people that were ripping on him. As of right now that's inappropriate to do. It sounds as if you have a personal history with this, and I'm sorry if that's the case but ease up on me.

I shouldn't have implied that you were taking his side. I get what you're saying now. If he is found innocent I would hope she would face some ramifications.

And yeah, it's inapropriate to be trashing the guy before we hear the whole story.

The police don't call themselves.
Well, to be fair, the police also don't make arrests based on word alone, even in Land O' Lakes. I guess we'll see.

He was great against the Tigers in that '07 series, I remember, a couple shutdown innings in very tight games, but he really fell off my radar after he went down

They do in Phoenix, AZ. If the police have been called, someone must be taken in to custody.
Wisconsin too.

The enacted laws like this to protect the other person. You don't want the husband getting mad at her for calling the police and really beating her after they leave. Hence, someone is taken into custody for a "cooling down" period.

Interesting; maybe that is indeed the policy.

At an apartment I had in Florida, twice I called the cops on my neighbors for domestic violence when I could hear him yelling, stuff being thrown and/or toppled, her crying and screaming (the first time she opened the door and literally yelled "Help!" before she was dragged back in and the door slammed), and both times the cops came and went with no one being arrested, which shocks me to this day. Maybe she didn't want to press charges, I don't know.

Anyway, I definitely agree that he's innocent until proven guilty, but I guess I'm more of the "where there's smoke, there's usually fire" school than the "a lot of women make this stuff up" school. Both, of course, are jumping to conclusions.

They do in Phoenix, AZ. If the police have been called, someone must be taken in to custody.
Wisconsin too.

The enacted laws like this to protect the other person. You don't want the husband getting mad at her for calling the police and really beating her after they leave. Hence, someone is taken into custody for a "cooling down" period.

It wasn't until the early 80s that charges could be filed by someone other than the battered spouse (a.k.a. the state steps in to charge the husband in cases when the wife is too afraid to press charges).

I hope it was all just a big misunderstanding, and things got a bit out of hand for Spurling, but sadly we see this kind of stuff all the time in and out of the sports world.

Wow... was he being held without bail because it's part of a mandatory "cooling off" thing, or is it the kind of thing where he's held without bail because what he did was that bad (not trying to minimize any form of domestic violence).

Man... even if it WAS something where he was defending yourself (just playing devil's advocate), if there's kids around, you just need to remove yourself from that situation so nothing like that has a chance of happening.

There are hundreds of incidents of domestic violence every day, this one is more notable than others because the accused was a fringe major league baseball player? With all the rules about worthless posts, you would figure this would have got caught up in one of them.

Well, the guy was a Brewer.

I'm on a Paul Weller email list; if Weller was accused of domestic abuse, I'm sure it would come up there. It doesn't mean that specific case or accusation is any more or less important than the others in the long run.

With all the rules about worthless posts, you would figure this would have got caught up in one of them.

Thanks for your suggestion on what should and shouldn't be allowed here, along with your own fine example of the latter.

Wow... was he being held without bail because it's part of a mandatory "cooling off" thing, or is it the kind of thing where he's held without bail because what he did was that bad (not trying to minimize any form of domestic violence).

Man... even if it WAS something where he was defending yourself (just playing devil's advocate), if there's kids around, you just need to remove yourself from that situation so nothing like that has a chance of happening.

Also playing devil's advocate... maybe the ex-wife was putting the kids in danger or he felt like his kid wasn't safe there. In that instance I understand not just leaving. I think the best thing said on this post is that there are so many occurrences of domestic violence every day that this isn't any more or less important than any of the other occurrences. Lots of people do things they regret. There were several comments on the web site this story is from saying that he should be made an example of. That's something that bothered me. Why should he have any more or less severe punishment than anyone else? Whatever comes out that he did should come with the punishment any other person would receive regardless of their proffession.

Charles Barkley did 3 days in the tents out here for his DUI and I don't know the details of his stay but I do know several people out here that have gotten a DUI and did 1 day in tent city.

Archived