Brewer Fanatic

Dave Roberts released by the Giants

ecjimg
Dave Roberts has been released by the Giants. Remember when Doug Melvin was trying to sign this guy. Why was Melvin and the Giants seemingly the only ones that didnt see this coming? (That Roberts wasnt going to be worth the money) Im a big Melvin supporter, but wow, was he wrong about this guy. Thanks Giants. Maybe Melvin will still want him as an extra OF? (The price is better now)

I'd love to add him due to his speed. In the past he has drawn some walks and played at least adequate defense. He's a better option than Gwynn. I like Duffy, but it never hurts to bring him to camp

i don't know that melvin was wrong about him...we never knew what doug was offering...if melvin was only trying to get him for two years, then the deal wouldn't have looked that bad...

this deal looks bad because the giants did something stupid...clearly, doug melvin wasn't as stupid, because roberts didn't sign with the brewers...

i don't know that melvin was wrong about him...we never knew what doug was offering...if melvin was only trying to get him for two years, then the deal wouldn't have looked that bad...

this deal looks bad because the giants did something stupid...clearly, doug melvin wasn't as stupid, because roberts didn't sign with the brewers...

Looking at Roberts' stats for the past 2 years, the deal would have looked bad even if it was two years and not three. Looking at old JS articles from that offseason, I read that Melvin was interested in Juan Pierre too.

He's 37 (meaning his defense is unlikely to rebound) and projects to have about a .700 OPS. He's probably done but he had a nice little career for a guy who didn't really crack the majors until he was 30. He made a lot of cash and he'll always be remembered fondly in Boston. He's also 2nd in career steals by a Japanese-born player (behind Ichiro).

Yeah I couldnt figure out why Melvin, who seems more than competent as a GM, has interest in Pierre and Roberts back when they signed. Just happy that two other teams were more interested and we didnt get stuck with them.

Yeah I couldnt figure out why Melvin, who seems more than competent as a GM, has interest in Pierre and Roberts back when they signed. Just happy that two other teams were more interested and we didnt get stuck with them.

Like Ron Wolf said in his book, a few of his better moves were moves he tried to make, but was unable to get them done.

Archived