Brewer Fanatic

Proposal-Durham and Taschner or Kline

Giants are old on the field. Durham would provide a veteran LH bat at 2B while Rickie Weeks could rest his wrist. Durham's experience would be stabilizing.

I would prefer Taschner but Kline is a grizzled veteran. Either could provide a LH middle reliever.

I would offer a package of AA-AAA players with upside like Gwynn, Crabbe, Nix or perhaps Gabe Gross.

I would make AAA/AA pitching available outside of Parra, Inman and Thatcher.

Thoughts?

I like durham. I'm not sure where in the batting order the brewers would put him. I think a lot of his productivity / stats are the result of him batting third/fourth in the giants' order. if he were to bat lower in the order, I think he would be a lot less productive.

I still have confidence in Weeks. however, his wrist may be worse than he's letting on. it also could be a chronic condition.

I also have to wonder what type of production can we expect from somebody hitting 8th in the order? if weeks was hitting first, how much of an improvement in his production would we see? if Hart or Braun were hitting 8th, how bad would they be?

The guy I'd really like to acquire is Nomar. The brewers drafted him in 1991 (5th round) but didn't want to spend the money to sign him. bringing him back now would be like correcting that mistake. Nomar can play first, shortstop, third, and has played a few games at second. I' m not sure what his problem was in Boston that made them so enamored with replacing him, but I think he'd be a great fit in Milwaukee.

Jeff Kent also comes to mind as a guy who can still hit but is being pushed out of LA by younger players.

I don't see the Brewers lineup really having any openings besides possibly a new leftfielder (either a star to replace Jenkins or a new platoon-mate for Jenkins) if there are no injuries.

That said, Durham is a heck of a player, and even with him being signed through next year, would be a nice pickup if Rickie has to go on the DL for an extended time. Durham is good enough that he could easily be traded in the offseason to recoup whatever the Brewers gave up to get him. He's getting old, but he's not so old that no one would want him for 2008.

Archived